What's the point of beer?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Can someone explain?
It tastes bad and dehydrates you, so the only reason you would drink it is to get drunk, yet it contains little alcohol so you have to drink alot of something that tastes bad and dehydrates you. Why not drink liquor that doesn't even taste bad and contains much more alcohol? I'm not seeing the logic. Have the beer companies simply conned America into idolizing beer?

Apr 5, 2000
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well, good beer tastes good to me. If I want to get a little buzz without getting schnookered, it works for me. Besides it goes with many foods.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Can someone explain?
It tastes bad and dehydrates you, so the only reason you would drink it is to get drunk, yet it contains little alcohol so you have to drink alot of something that tastes bad and dehydrates you. Why not drink liquor that doesn't even taste bad and contains much more alcohol? I'm not seeing the logic. Have the beer companies simply conned America into idolizing beer?

Some people like the taste. Refreshing for some, not me though.

Gets people drunk.

Fat people need loving too.

Helps some ATer's get some. :disgust::Q;)

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
some taste good and dont dehydrate you....stop drinking cheap american beer and move to a bit higher class of stuff and you'll find out why so many guys like beer...I can't stand a lot of it but a nice thick lager with a bit of nuttiness is like a delishious meal in itself :D

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
Um, this is not an American phenomenon. Go to Europe where beer is much more prevalent than it is here. It's something to drink with friends to get buzzed and to have a good time - the alcohol loosens you up and your inhibitions. What's the point of going to a pool hall and taking 5 shots of crown and not being able to drive home? Instead, you go, have 5 beers, have a good time and you're still able to stand up and talk and shoot without looking like an idiot, and you can also drive home.

I'm pretty sure 5 beers is over the limit here in England. But your American beers may be lighter? Or you may have higher alcohol limits?

Drinking is definately more prominent in Europe and England. Ages range from 16 in France and about 15 or 16 in Italy to 18 in England. In France they serve beer in McD.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Man has been brewing beer for thousands of years. It has to suck to keep doing that right. With a good beer and good food you can create a symphony in your mouth but you have to be at least calm enough to notice you're alive.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon
some taste good and dont dehydrate you....stop drinking cheap american beer and move to a bit higher class of stuff and you'll find out why so many guys like beer...I can't stand a lot of it but a nice thick lager with a bit of nuttiness is like a delishious meal in itself :D

If it has alcohol in it it will dehydrate you. But some will do it more than others. And yes I'm being a nitpicking a##hat. :D

Lethal

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Koing

I'm pretty sure 5 beers is over the limit here in England. But your American beers may be lighter? Or you may have higher alcohol limits?

Drinking is definately more prominent in Europe and England. Ages range from 16 in France and about 15 or 16 in Italy to 18 in England. In France they serve beer in McD.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Our beers are weak compared to yours. On average it's like 5% alcohol by volume. I meant like 5 beers in a couple hours. It depends on what type of beer though. I'd like to go to Germany one day - heard there's some gooooooood $hit over there :) And I didn't mean to imply that drinking and driving is ok, but it's all about knowing your limits

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Can someone explain?

Because you do not like something does not make it pointless. You say it tastes bad, I'd guess you haven't tried any good beers. You say liquor doesn't taste bad, some would disagree.

To beer! :beer::confused::beer:

Oh, and some beer is higher in content then say the water that is Bud Light.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Very few things in life can rival the pleasure of bottles of beer on ice and a hot day out by the pool.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
original beers were alot different than ours are now. They were a little more hearty. However, the main purpose was water was usually bad (no real sewage/water treatment then), but once fermented safe to drink. So you had beers and wines...they dehydrate a bit, but that was the price of water then. People didn't live long then either, 30's - 40's was old age.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999

5 beers? It wouldn't be legal :)

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Beer dose taste like complete ass, it's not over hyped, it's over advertised. You might as well be asking why addictive substances are addictive.........

KillaBong

Nov 26, 2002
They're right. Good beers taste good the first glass, but make me want to puke after about two or three. Because getting drunk takes me at least 10-12 beers, I personally like bud light, or maybe a couple less steel reserves( most people seem to hate those). I'm basically with you though on the taste, and I prefer half a fifth of vodka any day!

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
it tastes bad but it also tastes good, just like coffee, or green tea. and the good outweighs the bad