What's the origin of your AT username?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Zeze is the main character little boy in the book - My Sweet Orange Tree.

The book is actually read WORLD-WIDE. Hugely popular in Korea, Europe and as well as Latin/Central America and more.

It's a semi-autobiographical story about growing up in poverty in Rio de Janiero. It's utterly heartbreaking.

I don't know why this book is out of print in US or never really gained a traction.

It's million times better than Catcher in the Rye, etc.

I don't think I could read it again as a dad.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Ages ago, a girl I was chatting with online told me about a radio contest where the first one to call in and say "naked monkey with a hammer" would win a prize. I updated my screen name at the time to naked frog with a mallet, and it stuck for a while. That's why my avatar is wielding a mallet.
It's million times better than Catcher in the Rye, etc.
FWIW, I checked that out from the library after high school (we never read it in class) to see what the fuss was about, and it didn't really strike me as being a "great" book.

Reactions: Zeze

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I studied biology and it was part of my university email so bio(logy) stud(ent).

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I used to play a lot of counterstrike and at the time I thought I was a clever high schooler and came up with the name "Deadly apparition" as my gamer tag. Obviously that ended up being way too long so I shortened it to deadlyapp. It's stuck around for a few different things but mostly only exists as a forum handle now.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm green and male. Or an environmentalist and male. Maybe a tranny that's not feeling well.

Feb 4, 2009
Bill Gates gave me the name.
I worked with some younger than me guys who were liking Halo and shadowrun(?) on the Xbox. There was a brief period with shadowrun where pc & xbox could play together so I said what the hell I will join you guys.
Game required me to make an xbox game tag thing. During the process it asked a few questions and then gave a name suggestion. I thing the first was Fanatical Violet or some color. Didn’t like that so I clicked next on the color box and Fanatical Meat was born.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
po(t)he(ad)mi(dget)

source: Total Devastation (rap group from early 90s), they were similar to Cypress Hill but never made it nearly as big, obviously

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I attempt to play Chapman Stick. I do play Bass guitar. I also totally get that it sounds awful, but I couldn't come up with something better.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Mine's from a demo song of my favorite band Deftones. I have no clue why I picked this user name, but I've had it since the late mid-late 90's and never bothered change it. I really only use it here and two other forums. Have a completely different Steam/Xbox/PS name.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was a crane operator for most of my working career. "Boomer" hot hung on me pretty early in life.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Mine's from a demo song of my favorite band Deftones. I have no clue why I picked this user name, but I've had it since the late mid-late 90's and never bothered change it. I really only use it here and two other forums. Have a completely different Steam/Xbox/PS name.
I'd always figured it was some kind of oblique reference to Linus Torvalds.

Reactions: Pohemi

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
"There was "Ordog"- the Devil, "Pokol"- hell, "stregoica"- witch, and "vrolok" and "vlkoslak". Both of these last two words mean the same thing. One is Slovak and the other is Serbian, and they mean either werewolf or vampire."

I guess I was an angsty teen reading Dracula? I honestly don't remember. May have just been recall bias.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I used to played and painted wh40k army... before wife stopped me for wasting time and money. The name is from that universe.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The ops groups at work all had Latin sayings. Ours was Semper Paratus (always ready). So I borrowed the Paratus. (No relation to the Coast Guard who uses the same slogan)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Literally my nickname since I was a few years old. Mom added the 'ay' to AJ when I asked how to spell it. Kind of cool now, means 'always victorious' in Hindu.