What's the origin of your AT username?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The Dullard alias came from the early to mid 1990s when I started doing things online: BBS and MUDs. People there were using highly bragging names for everything. Finally, I saw one person with the alias that was something along the lines of "The Great One". I decided that I was to do the opposite--I'd let my work speak for itself rather than my alias.

Eventually, I learned that when people complain about my name in a debate, it is their way of admitting that they were wrong. Not only are they out of logical points to discuss, but they are also out of ways to attack the messenger (me). So their only last retort is to make fun of the messenger's name. It is a good end to the debate when I see that. I take it as them conceding the loss without actually admitting to the loss.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I used to say when I took photos I was squishing pixels, and when I wanted a unique playstation namer tag with NO NUMBERS or symbols in it, like four years ago, I picked MrSquished. Your online presence in a game is just a bunch of squished pixels.

It was simple and not taken on any platform and unique. It's my xBox name too. When I get into lobbies with folks with mics, they seem to get a kick out of my handle.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
3bc7aa7f337d2b6d218588b9fca9e94f_XL.jpg
I flew an old straight tail tuna tanked Cessna 310.

That plane is pretty much associated with the television series Sky King.
it was the informal nickname for any 310 pilot .

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Was always a fan of Egyptian gods, and when I 'matured' enough to stop using Overkill or some DBZ reference as my online tag (mainly in action half life at that point), I went with this. Got scooped up by a clan back then, and it's stuck ever since.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
In games and gaming forums I used to uses PiNKy (from Pinky and the Brain), people were always asking if I was gay :rolleyes:.
So I switched to Mr.Sleep (from Dark City), then people started copying it all over the place - so boo hoo again.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In games and gaming forums I used to uses PiNKy (from Pinky and the Brain), people were always asking if I was gay :rolleyes:.
So I switched to Mr.Sleep (from Dark City), then people started copying it all over the place - so boo hoo again.

The only place I've ever run into another Captante is if I registered there previously & forgot fortunately ... also its nice and short!

Apparently however it IS an actual word in Italian: :D

Italian

Verb

captante
  1. present participle of captare
Adjective

captante m, f ‎(masculine and feminine plural captanti)
  1. enhancing
  2. concentrating
captante
  1. dative masculine singular of captāns
  2. dative feminine singular of captāns
  3. dative neuter singular of captāns

Reactions: Ajay

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
When I was a kid I used to go camping a lot with my grandparents and used to love feeding the chipmunks and squirrels. I especially liked the squirrels they were so fun and so cute and fluffy and I oddly had a way with them, they always came to see me more than anyone else. I'm also a red head. So when we eventually got internet and I had to pick a username for a forum I decided on Red Squirrel and pretty much stuck to that. Every now and then I may use another name I make up on the spot but usually stick with this one.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My first screenname on AOL was Snoopy7548... I remember choosing it. I looked up, saw a little Snoopy figure, and was like, "Yeah, he's pretty cool." So I chose Snoopy and let AOL choose the numbers. Have had it ever since like 1998.

I'm not even a big Peanuts fan. o_O