What's the most expensive STEAM game you've paid for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What's the max amount you've spent on a single game in STEAM?

• $0.00~$14.99

• $15.00~$29.99

• $30.00~$44.99

• $45.00+

Results are only viewable after voting.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I paid full price for: Just Cause 2, Bad Company 2, Homefront (doh), Street Fighter IV, Crysis Warhead, and Call of Duty Black Ops.

Pretty much everything else was purchased at some sort of discount (excluding full price $10-$15 games).

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
$70 Empire:Total War Special Edition or whatever, preordered.

By far the most I've ever paid for a game and the only pre-order of my life. Also the last. I'm a Steam budget shopper now.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Civ 5 at release. As with most, I'm firmly in the 'cheapass' category now.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
MW2 at about $50. It was a decent game and got some use can't complain.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Count me in as one of the cheap-asses. I've learned my lesson about buying games brand new (looking at you, Civ V! :banghead:), plus with such a ridiculous backlog of games, I wait til one of the 2 major sales each year and restock the backlog then.

Although Skyrim may change that :unsure:

Heh...me too. Though I learned it before Civ 5...ended up getting the game free with a vid card purchase, and still only played the first few rounds of a couple games before putting it back down. Skyrim isn't going to suck me in either, though I'll eventually try it. Both those franchises used to be favorites of mine (well the older games still are).

I do get suckered into a few full price purchases now and then, but only if I feel some loyalty to the company for past great games. Paid full price for F.E.A.R. 2 on Steam for instance, cause I loved the 1st but might have used a lot of torrents back at the time *cough* (changed my stance shortly after though). Except for Blizz and Valve, most have dissapointed me with their last game or more.

There's a lot of games that are probably worth playing but not worth paying the 'new' price tag for. Some of the indie games are the exception, but then their prices are also more reasonable :).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I've bought a few $15-20 games but that's about it. I'm usually fine with waiting for a new game's price to drop rather than put out the whole $50+.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
But I've got 500 dollar packs for 60 bucks so it all evens out in the end.

:thumbsup:

For me personally, the ONLY time I spend a whole $40-$50 for a game is if it's something huge that I've been anticipating for a long time. Portal 2 and The Witcher 2 come to mind.

I haven't even spent $60 on a game yet, since PC games publishers started jacking their prices up to 60. I'm gonna see how long I can go without ever spending that much on a single game. I guess that means I'm skipping Battlefield 3 this year. Which is fine, since it won't even be on Steam anyway.

Edit: Just Cause 2 was another game I payed the $50 for, and for good reason. I spent probably 4 hours playing the demo by itself, and I finally said "I can't wait for this game to go on sale. I need it NOW." So I went ahead and bought it at full price. Totally worth it :D

And count me in as one of the people who were suckered into pre-ordering Civ 5 last year. If I could reverse my decision, I would. Live and learn I guess. I will never pre-order anything unless I have absolute confidence that it will be amazing.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I bought the Orange Box and COD4 shortly after they came out for $50 each. Since then I haven't paid full price for any game on Steam. Maybe $30 at most.

The last time I spent more than $20 on a single game was Just Cause 2 for $25 last year. Of course it's been extremely cheap several times since then but it was totally worth it.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Payed ~$40 for Modern Warfare 2 on sale.
Payed ~$35 for Portal 2 pre-order.

Other than that a few I have paid $15-$20 for, but most have been <$10.

I own about 140 games on Steam now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think I've paid more than $32 for a game on Steam. ...and that was probably one of 2 games.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Dawn of War 2 pre-order &#163;34.99 (~$52.50)

Bad buy. The game itself is pretty damn amazing... but on release day, it was selling for ~&#163;20-&#163;25 ($30-37.50) in the shops. All Steam did was give me free beta access for a bit and a pre-download.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
preorder empire total war at $50. wasn't playable for months with all the bugs.

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
Another voice to add to the chorus of people who were burned by Civ 5, and who will never pay full price for a game as a result.

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
Was it REALLY that fucking bad?

I really liked it, but I guess I am in the minority here, surrounded by the haters who were expecting a clone of Civ 4 with better graphics, or something.

My most recent big purchase from Steam was a pre-order of HoMM6 Deluxe for $54.99. It gave me access to the beta, and I think the game looks awesome so far.

biseydaha

Aug 11, 2011
I payed for Empire Total War and Napolean Total War when they first came out. ( these were the only original games I bought :D