What's the etymology of your first name?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
DWAYNE

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: DWAYN, du-WAYN [key]
Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhan which means "little and dark", derived from dubh "dark, black" combined with a diminutive suffix.

My father named from from taking the first initial of his first name + his middle name (father = Dennis Wayne).

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
DANIEL

Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Scandinavian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Biblical

Pronounced: DAN-yul (English), dah-nee-EL (Hebrew), dan-YEL (French), DAH-nee-el (German), DAHN-yel (Polish) [key]
From the Hebrew name ????????? (Daniyyel) meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe, Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, and American frontiersman Daniel Boone.

SUNG

Usage: Korean

Other Scripts: ? (Korean)
Means "completed, finished" from Sino-Korean

HYUN

Usage: Korean

Other Scripts: ? (Korean)
Means "virtuous" from Sino-Korean

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
GAYLORD

Usage: English

Pronounced: GAY-lord [key]
From a surname which was derived from Old French gaillard "high-spirited".

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
GAYLORD

Pronounced: GAY-lord [key]
From a surname which was derived from Old French gaillard "high-spirited".

I went to school with boy with that name. Best part he WAS gay. :laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
CRAIG

Usage: Scottish, English

Pronounced: KRAYG [key]

From a Scottish surname which was derived from Gaelic creag meaning "crag" or "rocks". The surname originally belonged to a person who lived near a crag.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
CHAZ

Pronounced: CHAZ [key]
(variant) form of CHARLES
--------------------------------------------------------------------
CHARLES

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: CHAHR-ulz (English), SHARL (French) [key]
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior".

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
DWAYNE

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: DWAYN, du-WAYN [key]
Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhan which means "little and dark", derived from dubh "dark, black" combined with a diminutive suffix.

My father named from from taking the first initial of his first name + his middle name (father = Dennis Wayne).

was he pissed when he found out that the name Dwayne already existed?

Lothar1974

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2003
JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

Pronounced: JAY-sun (English)

From the Greek name ?as?? (Iason), which was derived from Greek ?as?a? (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name is also used in Acts in the New Testament to translate the Hebrew name Joshua.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
RAINIER

Usage: French
French form of RAYNER

LOL

RAYNER

Pronounced: RAY-nur [key]
From the Germanic name Reginar, composed of the elements ragin "advice" and heri "army". This name was brought to Britain by the Normans.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
MARIO

Usage: Italian, Spanish

Pronounced: MAH-ryo (Italian, Spanish) [key]
Italian and Spanish form of MARIUS

lein

Mar 8, 2005
SHITHEAD was not found in this database.

Usage: unknown

Pronounced: sha-THEED [key]

I added the last 2 lines, but I know someone who knows someone with that name (yeah kinda sketch, but w/e, I dont care if you believe me or not, hopefully someone will get a chuckle :p)

Oh and for me (reposted cause its awesome):

DANIEL

Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Scandinavian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Biblical

Pronounced: DAN-yul (English), dah-nee-EL (Hebrew), dan-YEL (French), DAH-nee-el (German), DAHN-yel (Polish) [key]
From the Hebrew name ????????? (Daniyyel) meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe, Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, and American frontiersman Daniel Boone.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
MATHEW

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
Variant of MATTHEW

---------------------------------------------
MATTHEW

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
English form of ?at?a??? (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name ???????????? (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

---------------------------------------------

I knew I was God's gift to the world, but I didn't know that's what my name meant? :Q