What's the etymology of your first name?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I said etymology, not entomology.;)

Here's mine. :cool:

DENIS

Usage: French, Russian, English, German

Other Scripts: ????? (Russian)

Pronounced: de-NEE (French), DEN-is (English), DE-nis (German) [key]

Medieval form of DIONYSIUS. Saint Denis was a 3rd-century missionary to Gaul who was beheaded in Paris. He is the patron saint of France. Another notable bearer was the French philosopher Denis Diderot.

http://www.behindthename.com/p....php?nmd=n&terms=denis

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
MATHEW

Usage: English

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
Variant of MATTHEW

---------------------------------------------
MATTHEW

Usage: English, Biblical

English form of ?at?a??? (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name ???????????? (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

I knew I was God's gift to the world, but I didn't know that's what my name meant? :Q

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
JONATHAN

Usage: English, German, Scandinavian, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN-a-than (English), YO-nah-tahn (German) [key]
From the Hebrew name ?????????? (Yehonatan) (contracted to ???????? (Yonatan)) meaning "YAHWEH has given". In the Old Testament Jonathan was the eldest son of Saul and a friend of David. He was killed in battle with the Philistines. A famous bearer of this name was Jonathan Swift, the satirist who wrote 'Gulliver's Travels' and other works.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
MATHEW

Variant of MATTHEW

MATTHEW

English form of ?at?a??? (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name ???????????? (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

I knew I was God's gift to the world, but I didn't know that's what my name meant? :Q

Meet your namesake. :)

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
RAYMOND

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: RAY-mund (English), ray-MAWN (French) [key]
From the Germanic name Reginmund, composed of the elements ragin "advice" and mund "protector". This was the name of several (mostly Spanish) saints, including Saint Raymond Nonnatus, the patron of midwives and expectant mothers, and Saint Raymond of Peñafort, the patron of canonists.

Jun 4, 2005
MATTHEW

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
GARRICK

Pronounced: GER-ik [key]
From a surname which was originally derived from a first name meaning "spear power" from Germanic ger "spear" and ric "power".

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
CHRISTIAN

Usage: English, French, German

Pronounced: KRIS-chen (English), KRISH-chen (English), krees-TYAWN (French), kris-TEE-ahn (German) [key]

From a medieval Latin name that meant "Christian". This was the name of ten kings of Denmark. Another famous bearer of the name was Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish author of such fairy tales as 'The Ugly Duckling' and 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. In medieval England this was also a feminine name

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
TYLER

Pronounced: TIE-lur [key]

From an occupational surname meaning "tiler of roofs" in Old English.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
ALAN

Usage: English, Scottish, Breton

Pronounced: AL-an [key]
The meaning of this name is not known for certain, though it possibly means either "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton. Alternatively, it may derive from the tribal name of the Alans, an Iranian people who migrated into Europe in the 4th and 5th centuries. This was the name of several dukes of Brittany, and was introduced to England by Bretons after the Norman invasion.

funny... my first name is from northern france and my last name from southern.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
WILLIAM

Pronounced: WIL-ee-am, WIL-yam [key]
From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection". The name was introduced to Britain by the Normans. It has belonged to several rulers of England, Prussia, and Germany, including William the Conqueror, the first Norman king of England. Other famous bearers were Willian Wallace, a 13th-century Scottish hero, and William Tell, a legendary 14th-century Swiss hero. In the literary world it has been borne by dramatist William Shakespeare and poet William Blake, as well as contemporary authors William Faulkner and William S. Burroughs.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
MARTIN

Usage: English, French, German, Scandinavian, Russian, Romanian, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Hungarian, Bulgarian
Other Scripts: ?????? (Russian, Bulgarian)
Pronounced: MAHR-tin (English, German), mar-TEN (French), MAWR-teen (Hungarian), mahr-TIN (Bulgarian)

From the Roman name Martinus, which was derived from Martis, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god MARS. Saint Martin of Tours was a 4th-century bishop who is the patron saint of France. According to legend, he came across a cold beggar in the middle of winter so he ripped his cloak in two and gave half of it to the beggar.

Interesting origin... though I'd rather be named after the good of wine (Dionysus) rather than the god of war (Mars).

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
TIMUR

Usage: History, Russian

Other Scripts: ????? (Russian)

Pronounced: tee-MOOR (Russian) [key]
Derived from a Turkish word meaning "iron". Timur, also known as Tamerlane (from Persian Timur i Leng "Timur the lame"), was a 14th-century Turkic leader who conquered large areas of western Asia.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
JUSTIN

Usage: English, French, Slovene

Pronounced: JUS-tin (English), zhoo-STEN (French) [key]
From the Roman name Justinus, which was derived from JUSTUS. This was the name of several early saints including Justin Martyr, a Christian philosopher of 2nd century who was beheaded in Rome.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
DAVID

Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Biblical

Other Scripts: ????? (Hebrew), ????? (Russian)

Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Hebrew), da-VEED (French), dah-VEET (Russian), DAH-fit (German) [key]

Possibly derived from Hebrew ??? (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.
Famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
ROSS

Usage: Scottish, English

Pronounced: RAWS [key]

From a surname which meant "promontory" in Gaelic, originally belonging to someone who lived on a headland. A famous bearer of the surname was Sir James Clark Ross, an Antarctic explorer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A promontory is a prominent mass of land which overlooks lower lying land or a body of water (when it may be called a peninsula or headland).

Most promontories are formed either from a hard ridge of rock that has resisted the erosive forces that have removed the softer rock each side of it, or are the high ground that remains between two river valleys where they form a confluence.

fanbottle

Aug 3, 2007
SADDAM

Usage: Arabic

Other Scripts: ????? (Arabic)

Pronounced: sah-DAHM [key]
Means "one who confronts" in Arabic.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
AARON

Pronounced: ER-un [key]
From the Hebrew name ??????? ('Aharon) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
JOSEPH

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: JO-sef (English), zho-ZEF (French), YO-zef (German) [key]
From the Latin Iosephus, which was from the Greek ??s?f?? (Iosephos), which was from the Hebrew name ?????? (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This is the name of two characters in the New Testament: Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea. Also, rulers of the Holy Roman Empire have had this name.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
BRADLEY

Pronounced: BRAD-lee [key]
From a surname which originally came from a place name that meant "broad clearing" in Old English. A famous bearer of the surname was the World War II American general Omar Bradley.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
JOSHUA

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa [key]
From the Hebrew name ?????????? (Yehoshu'a) which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus is derived from this name.