What's the difference between a libertarian and a republican on views?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
From what I've seen it depends on the person. Most Libertarians I know are very fiscally conservative, believe in smaller govt., less taxes, and less regulation, and are usually socially moderate to liberal. Most Republicans I know are fiscally conservative, believe in smaller govt., less taxes, and less regulation, and are socially conservative. Of course there are some Libertarians who are socially conservative and some Republicans who are socially moderate or liberal. I'm just basing my observations on people I know.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
so basically libertarians are generally republicans only removing the religious agenda and forced morality?

How are they on abortion and capital punishment, National defense?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, because Republicans can be athiests and libertarians not. My observation differs from shinerburke, because Libertarians really do want less regulations and smaller govt., while republicans want to spend and regulate just as much as democrats, but on different things.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
No, because Republicans can be athiests and libertarians not. My observation differs from shinerburke, because Libertarians really do want less regulations and smaller govt., while republicans want to spend and regulate just as much as democrats, but on different things.

Libertarians can't be atheists? Since when?

Libertarians are generally just want to spend money on protecting its citizens. That's pretty much limited to the armed forces, police, fire fighters, etc. Everything else can be privitized. Most believe states should have a lot more rights then they do now. Opinions on abortion, capital punishment, and national defense will probably vary from person to person.

Unfortunately a lot of people in the Libertarian Party are freaking loons.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
My understanding is that Libertarians use a much more strict interpretation of the Constitution. Basically, if it's not specified in the Constitution then the Fed Govt has no business being involved. That's why they are against Federal drug enforcement policies. They believe it is a state issue, along with many other things that the Feds currently handle.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

Libertarians can't be atheists? Since when?

Libertarians are generally just want to spend money on protecting its citizens. That's pretty much limited to the armed forces, police, fire fighters, etc. Everything else can be privitized. Most believe states should have a lot more rights then they do now. Opinions on abortion, capital punishment, and national defense will probably vary from person to person.

Republicans can be athiests, and libertarians do not have to be or can be. It has nothing to do with religion. Look at the sentence in the context of the prior posts.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA
My understanding is that Libertarians use a much more strict interpretation of the Constitution.[/b] Basically, if it's not specified in the Constitution then the Fed Govt has no business being involved. That's why they are against Federal drug enforcement policies. They believe it is a state issue, along with many other things that the Feds currently handle.

Actually, more accurate would be a better choice of words.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A Libertarian is a Republican who doens't have nightmares he'll blow off the bathroom door.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
A Libertarian is a Republican who doens't have nightmares he'll blow off the bathroom door.

Wha the fu.... :confused:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Originally posted by: CPA
My understanding is that Libertarians use a much more strict interpretation of the Constitution.[/b] Basically, if it's not specified in the Constitution then the Fed Govt has no business being involved. That's why they are against Federal drug enforcement policies. They believe it is a state issue, along with many other things that the Feds currently handle.

Actually, more accurate would be a better choice of words.

ahhh, you are correct sir.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Just curious

Generally we believe in keeping government out of peoples lives as much as possible which includes abortion. This also means that we do not endorse any kind of prohibition based on religious views on morality. We believe in strict separation of church and state as it was written in the Constitution and we hold the individuals right to privacy and the right to be left alone as something sacred which should be protected. We believe in the right to hold and bare arms. We believe in fiscal responsibility when it comes to goverment spending. We do not believe in foreign aid or any other types of government hand outs or bail outs like social, religious or corporate welfare. For more info look at the link below.

http://www.lp.org/issues/

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Whoa...

I think those fruity pebbles you ate must have been laced with something. Drink a couple cups of coffee, take a cold shower, take a nap(in any order) -then come back and speak english :p

CkG

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Just curious

Generally we believe in keeping government out of peoples lives as much as possible which includes abortion. This also means that we do not endorse any kind of prohibition based on religious views on morality. We believe in strict separation of church and state as it was written in the Constitution and we hold the individuals right to privacy and the right to be left alone as something sacred which should be protected. We believe in the right to hold and bare arms. We believe in fiscal responsibility when it comes to goverment spending. We do not believe in foreign aid or any other types of government hand outs or bail outs like social, religious or corporate welfare. For more info look at the link below.

http://www.lp.org/issues/

freaking lunatics, never understood why they did not have more mass appeal, the sheep are apparently too conditioned......

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

I'll have to agree with that.

In my experience so far every other one is an extremist and an Ayn Rand worshipping type loon.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
as the joke goes....

a libertarian is a pot smoking republican.

But otherwise, small goverment, large personal freedom and responsability, and isolationist foreign policy.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Most Republicans I know are fiscally conservative, believe in smaller govt., less taxes, and less regulation, and are socially conservative.
It's good you used a caveat (I know) . . . otherwise your observations would be wholly suspect. Pew or Brookings did an analysis of government functions at the state level and found insignificant differences in the degree of taxation, regulation, and growth in government when comparing states with various mixes (GOP Lege/Dem Gov, Dem Lege/GOP Gov, both Dem, or both GOP). If social conservatives regulate your life activities then it's still a form of intrusive government/regulation.

Libertarians indeed favor a more accurate interpretation of the Constitution. On an issue like abortion they would claim neither the state nor feds should regulate it.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
as the joke goes....

a libertarian is a pot smoking republican.

Naw we just treat people like adults instead of a flock of sheep.

isolationist foreign policy.

No it's called putting your money where your mouth is. We are not into supporting other nations armies, economies, etc.. with U.S. tax dollars. If you as a private citizen want to support another nation then you should do so as a individual using your own private funds money. As it is everyone here in this nation is being forced to support foreign nations without their consent through foreign aid ( aka foreign welfare ).

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Most Republicans I know are fiscally conservative, believe in smaller govt., less taxes, and less regulation, and are socially conservative.
It's good you used a caveat (I know) . . . otherwise your observations would be wholly suspect. Pew or Brookings did an analysis of government functions at the state level and found insignificant differences in the degree of taxation, regulation, and growth in government when comparing states with various mixes (GOP Lege/Dem Gov, Dem Lege/GOP Gov, both Dem, or both GOP). If social conservatives regulate your life activities then it's still a form of intrusive government/regulation.

Libertarians indeed favor a more accurate interpretation of the Constitution. On an issue like abortion they would claim neither the state nor feds should regulate it.

I would have to disagree with this research. Florida and Texas both have conservative goverments. Florida has a balanced budget without raising taxes. The comptroller in Texas just sent a budget back to the legislature for being 118Million over. California is still has a 38Billion budget problem.

I am sure this is not the case everywhere, but they are a couple prime examples.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
"If social conservatives regulate your life activities then it's still a form of intrusive government/regulation."

Bravo ! You hit the nail on the head government interference for both social or moral religious reasons are wrong ! They are both the same evils but spun in different lights to confuse people by Dem's and Rep's. The GOP claims to be for less government but what they mean is less government as regards to social issues but more government when it comes to taking away your rights/privacy and imposing on you religious based morality laws. Not to mention bailing out big business with huge loans and subsidies with our tax dollars. Also the 200+ billion dollars wasted by both parties on foreign aid ( aka welfare ! ) again using our tax dollars.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

I would have to disagree with this research. Florida and Texas both have conservative goverments. Florida has a balanced budget without raising taxes. The comptroller in Texas just sent a budget back to the legislature for being 118Million over. California is still has a 38Billion budget problem.

I am sure this is not the case everywhere, but they are a couple prime examples.

Then again Texas and Florida were not raped by Enron and company.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yep - didn't hurt Texas a bit
Didn't mess with florida either
Just a few quick links - there are tons more if you open your eyes ;)

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Then again Texas and Florida have not had a an annual goverment growth rate of 38% either.

And ask the folks in Houston if Enron did not hurt them.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
So I guess they had sky-rocketing inflated energy costs like we did and they were forced to sign long term contracts for energy rates at absurd prices ? If anything this is just an example of the melt down splash effect of Enron had on other states. The real burden though was paid by us Californians as power companies ( which does not just include Enron ) held us for ransom while this administration looked the other way.