What's the best way to compress a DVD to divx?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I've got quite a few dvd's (family guy, futurama, star wars,) that I would like to be able to watch via divx on my pc, rather than carrying around the dvd's everywhere I go. what's a good program to do this with?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Dr divx, from divx.com is the easiest I've found, and unlike autogordian knot its 5.1 compression is not out of sync. It's not going to givce the most absolute perfect look-at-me picture, if you're the kind of pedant to notice, but for everyone else it's very VERY easy to use and works quite nicely, with enough options to cover your bases. Only problem is the free trial doesn't work forever and then you have to pay for it.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Dr divx, from divx.com is the easiest I've found, and unlike autogordian knot its 5.1 compression is not out of sync. It's not going to givce the most absolute perfect look-at-me picture, if you're the kind of pedant to notice, but for everyone else it's very VERY easy to use and works quite nicely, with enough options to cover your bases. Only problem is the free trial doesn't work forever and then you have to pay for it.
I've never had a problem with GK's 5.1 compressed audio being out of sync. Then again, I stopped having GK do it for me once I started encoding to Ogg-XviD MKVs. I use BeSweet to encode a .5 quality Ogg of the appropriate track, then select the result in GK and go from there.

GK + BeSweet + MKVToolnix is the way to go, dude. At least for MKVs, which are seriously better than AVIs. (They allow embedded aspect ratios, several different types of subs, almost every audio/video codec under the sun, and have 90% less overhead than AVIs... for starters)

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

I actually ended up using auto gordian knot... it takes forever, but worked for me.

I may try dr divx for copying dvd-> dvd

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Fairuse with automatic settings produces decent quality 700 MB divx's. You type the name in one blank, the path in the next blank, make sure the auto check box is selected, and click a button. So easy.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
just rip to directory ..you dont even need to compress. playback with full features with smething like windvd

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
I like regular (not auto) Gordian Knot. I've heard of the skew problems with autogk that skoorb mentioned, skew is a relatively easy fix in virtual dub though.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
How long does it usually take to compress a DVD? I travel for my job and it would be great if I can take a couple of movies with me on my laptop for the road...

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
just rip to directory ..you dont even need to compress. playback with full features with smething like windvd

Umm...I think size would be an issue. Rip a few DVD's, and your hard drive is out of space.

KS

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BCYL
How long does it usually take to compress a DVD? I travel for my job and it would be great if I can take a couple of movies with me on my laptop for the road...
Depending on the speed of your computer, a couple of hours. I'm running an Athlon64 3000+ and it takes me about 3 hours for a good quality Ogg-XviD MKV, start to finish. That's with subtitles and director's commentary.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
It's almost entirely CPU-dependant, so will vary with CPU speed. On a p4b 2.67 I generally get about 15 fps, and do 2pass encodes, so ~6 hours for a 2 hour video from DVD to a 700mb avi.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Gurck
It's almost entirely CPU-dependant, so will vary with CPU speed. On a p4b 2.67 I generally get about 15 fps, and do 2pass encodes, so ~6 hours for a 2 hour video from DVD to a 700mb avi.

that would be too long... I have a 1.6ghz centrino laptop, so it will take too long to worth the effort

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: yukichigai
Depending on the speed of your computer, a couple of hours. I'm running an Athlon64 3000+ and it takes me about 3 hours for a good quality Ogg-XviD MKV, start to finish. That's with subtitles and director's commentary.

my laptop is a 1.4m.. took like 4 hours I think to encode. it took an hour (before that) to rip the dvd

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gurck

that would be too long... I have a 1.6ghz centrino laptop, so it will take too long to worth the effort

Thats also another reason why people download movies.....so they don't have to encode the freaking things themselves to get a fair use out of them and not have to haul around DVDs with you all the time.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: KeyserSoze

Umm...I think size would be an issue. Rip a few DVD's, and your hard drive is out of space.

KS

not at all. 250gb is liek 60 bux now after rebates. thats like 35 full dvds..and thats assuming they are all 7gb

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Too many suggestions. I gotta rip my TMBG DVDs to my HDD (in addition to my backup copy). So I guess I'm looking for the one that does the best with audio, or are they all pretty much the same there too?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: KeyserSoze

KS

not at all. 250gb is liek 60 bux now after rebates. thats like 35 full dvds..and thats assuming they are all 7gb

I can't wait 'til I upgrade my main machine so I can stick this CPU in my motherboard that has 8 IDE channels... it will be nice to have a storage machine. Should go nicely with my temporary projector :p (fresnel lens and 15" monitor until I can buy a real one)