Whats the best air purifier out there?

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I purchased from Costco the Blueair filter and purifier. These are not cheap units, but I wanted something very good, not just a fan and filter. Also, purchasing at Costco allows me to return it for any problem if I don't like it. I've had it about 3 years now and really love it.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I purchased from Costco the Blueair filter and purifier. These are not cheap units, but I wanted something very good, not just a fan and filter. Also, purchasing at Costco allows me to return it for any problem if I don't like it. I've had it about 3 years now and really love it.
But does it actually stop allergy from dust mites?

Even with running ours daily for almost a year, they didn't help either of our kids but they were not true HEPA. I'm not willing to spend so much on replacement filters every X months because there has never been a consensus answer to the above question. Also, our allergist says they are useless.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

When my Blueair filter started making noise, I took it apart and found that it's just a metal box with a small, CHEAP computer fan on it. After some research, I also discovered that it's not really HEPA, it's "HEPASilent" which is just a made-up marketing term designed to trick you into thinking it's legit HEPA.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Also, our allergist says they are useless.
Pretty much this, especially if your heating system is forced air. Then you're trying to clean air that's just going to gather debris from other rooms and dump it in whatever space you're trying to filter. You're better off with a HEPA furnace/HVAC filter. Just make damn sure that you change it when you're supposed to. I neglected doing that once and the reduced air flow caused the heat exchanger to overheat and crack. That was was a $5k mistake you don't want to emulate.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Any furnace (of that type) should have a temperature sensor that shuts it off before the heat exchanger overheats. Something went wrong besides the filter clogging.

You might check to see if that sensor failed (doubtful, usually a fail open-circuit design) or if there's any chance you might forget again, get a sensor with a lower temp trip point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The furnace was pretty old so it may have been an expected failure and it was just coincidence that I hadn't changed the filter. But I'm going to guess and say that it may not have had a sensor like that. I think it was probably 30+ years old when it was replaced. I know the new one was much more fuel efficient. I think by at least 50% but that's plus or minus 20% since I don't remember the exact numbers. I know I went from a 500 gallon in-ground tank to a 250 with no major changes in my delivery schedule.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Really, any air purifier out there should be sufficient, provided they have a high quality HEPA filter. The ones that do ozone/ionic stuff aren't really worthwhile or useful for actual filtration.

Most important thing, make sure you replace the filters based on the intervals, especially if you have a very sensitive person, and make sure you get one sized for the room.

Honestly, you'd be just fine with a box fan and a high quality HEPA filter taped to it in most cases :D

Reactions: yhelothar

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
$10 Box fan plus $15 HEPA filter and some duct tape will filter 90% of the particles out of the air. This guy compared it to an $800 filter system using a device that can measure the number of air particles. The $800 one filtered 100% of the particles. Law of diminishing returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Don't mean to flippant, but the best air purifier is a good rain storm.

Feb 4, 2009
But does it actually stop allergy from dust mites?

Even with running ours daily for almost a year, they didn't help either of our kids but they were not true HEPA. I'm not willing to spend so much on replacement filters every X months because there has never been a consensus answer to the above question. Also, our allergist says they are useless.

While I have no allergies my Mother does and air cleaner had zero impact on her allergies
Not sure what brand, I would guess it was a cheap unit.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Back before Christmas, these went down to $120 on Walmart.com:

I picked up 2 of them to run on opposite ends of my house. There's an air quality light that changes from Blue to Purple to Red depending on air quality. It's a 4 stage filter with ionizer and we can tell a difference when we run them. When the air quality detection drops, the fan increases speed automatically. We notice when we're cooking in the house and browning meat or vegetables in oil that it really works to clean the air up. We also notice that they sometimes come on and we don't know why.....but we know it's detecting dust or something in the air that we can't see.

Filters for these can be picked up for $25-30 and reviews are pretty good. There's another similar model (1512h or something like that..) for a similar price. They're about the same size. Don't bother with the smaller units. They just don't move enough air to really be effective if you ask me. For these, they suggest cleaning the washable pre-filter every 2 weeks. There's a charcoal filter behind that and then the hepa filter. Inside the unit is an air ionizer....(those are the 4 stages)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think you should try Hepa purifier. The one specially designed for kids.

Derp?

And from what I've read in reliable reviews the only thing most HEPA air-cleaners/filters actually clean out effectively is your wallet.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Derp?

And from what I've read in reliable reviews the only thing most HEPA air-cleaners/filters actually clean out effectively is your wallet.
Bah...it's all about catching as many small particles as you can. In most cases, it's dust (dead skincells and pollen...but can also be mold spores). Say what you want, but with the air filters I have, I can run them in my living room that gets great sun from a bay window. When my kids run through the room, they kick up a bunch of dust from our Persian rug....when the air filter is running in the corner, I can see it drawing the dust toward the intake. To be clear, it's a new rug and we vacuum it every other day...as does our cleaning lady once a week. I don't suffer from allergies like my daughter, but we can tell her allergies have been a little better since I started running those things. I paid $250 for both units I got and consider it to be a good investment for peace of mind if nothing else. I've cleaned the pre-filters twice and they have caught quite a bit of dust.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I asked myself this awhile back, was about to outfit the whole house. Did a round up of what looked current and effective, ended up going with Winix. Excellent performance for the price IMO. True HEPA, also purifies without ozone. Lost one in a storm years ago, but the others are all still running strong. This would be year 7 or 8 for pretty much 24/7 operation, so I can personally vouch for their reliability. There is a large variety of good manufacturers though, I'm sure there are similar competitors worthy of consideration. Remember to consider replacement filter prices and noise levels too.

The best is probably something that looks like DARPA was involved, goes for a couple grand. Comes down to how much sq footage you have to worry about and how far you want to go with filtration with the funds you're willing to spend. I'd advise getting cheaper, easier to replace devices if you live in the boonies where the grid might get shaky and generator use isn't unheard of. Attentive unplugging can help with that of course, but eventually someone forgets to do it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Bah...it's all about catching as many small particles as you can. In most cases, it's dust (dead skincells and pollen...but can also be mold spores). Say what you want, but with the air filters I have, I can run them in my living room that gets great sun from a bay window. When my kids run through the room, they kick up a bunch of dust from our Persian rug....when the air filter is running in the corner, I can see it drawing the dust toward the intake. To be clear, it's a new rug and we vacuum it every other day...as does our cleaning lady once a week. I don't suffer from allergies like my daughter, but we can tell her allergies have been a little better since I started running those things. I paid $250 for both units I got and consider it to be a good investment for peace of mind if nothing else. I've cleaned the pre-filters twice and they have caught quite a bit of dust.

Ditto, the charcoal fibrous mesh prefilters I get are surprisingly resilient. I will clean the hell out of them and reuse 4 or 5 times before tossing.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My daughter has a skin care business and put one of these in her office. She says it works extremely well:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

we have one of these, and my allergies have been much better. it catches a lot of stuff, the water when i wash the filters turns green/black. i have been washing the mesh a few times as well before replacing. it also got rid of some smoke smell from a fireplace incident where the log was not out and the flu go closed.