What's so great about Deus Ex?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
It's on steam dd and it's highly rated.

I dunno, the game doesn't look all that appealing to me.

Like, I don't see how the game rewards "creativity" at all. All of the options are thought up beforehand by the map designer. Otherwise looks like a ho-hum shooter and a tediously slow stealth game.

What's so great about this game?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Like, I don't see how the game rewards "creativity" at all. All of the options are thought up beforehand by the map designer. Otherwise looks like a ho-hum shooter and a tediously slow stealth game.

You dont get it.
And I'm too tired to explain it.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Nothing, don't buy it.

That's what you wanted to hear, right?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

so no rpg ever rewards choice because all the paths were thought up beforehand by the designer? :confused:

as long as we're talking DE1 here, you almost immediately get choices, but things make a difference down the line the more you play.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
what's rewarding about video games at all? you're paying for entertainment, go entertain yourself

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
innovative game play for its time, a intricate plot that manages to weave together multiple conspiracy theories, a well-fleshed out, semi-believable world based on prominent cyberpunk themes. overall it's a fun game that manages to be thought provoking, a rarity in gaming. it's in my top 3 game list for sure.

don't try too hard to like it though. no game is for everyone.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I agree ^^. I personally loved it, played it through to the end, which I rarely do these days. But not everything is for everyone.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Let's listen to your thoughts after you finish the game, OK OP?? Else just quit and don't rack your brains on why it's so highly rated. Each of us have different preferences.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
OP is just an idiot. Or a troll. Or most likely, both.

If you had played the game and not liked it, fine. But if you were actually the slightest bit interested in it, or why so many people liked it, you have the f'ing internet at your finger tips. Do a search. Read the countless "Game of the Year" reviews. Search the dozens upon dozens of threads in this very forum where people have already answered that, and any other question you can have about the game, countless times over..

Or...you know...spend the ~$10 and just buy the damn game and find out for yourself.
But that wouldn't contribute to creating 260 threads in under 2 years. :rolleyes:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Like, I don't see how the game rewards "creativity" at all. All of the options are thought up beforehand by the map designer.

Oh no, it's worse than that -- some of them weren't! There are places you can jump where you are "rewarded" by being permanently stuck in half-finished areas!
Stay FAR away from this game! The only option they really didn't think up beforehand was just you not installing the game.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I thought it was very good, but not exceptional. Some things I liked:
  • Character progression (e.g. skill points, biomods).
  • Weapon upgrades.
  • Lots to explore & rewarded exploration.
  • Story.
Some things not so good:
  • Voice acting.
  • Graphics.
  • Physics/AI/combat.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
it was a great game when it was released. Im sure that you wont see anything particularly good right now about it... it was made more than 10 years ago (i think)

i remember having a lot of fun with deus ex... that augmentation that made your suite detect incoming missiles and would shot something at them to explode them as soon as they come out from the weapon damaging the attacker was great =P

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
WOW some love for DE here.. whle the OP might be a troll (not sure) DE was not my cup of tea either. First And latest.. the Rewards creativity part seems a bit over billed. personally i found the game demanded specific types of play to live.. run and gun sure didnt work (especailly in the new one) the old one was limited almost purely by ammo.. run and gun worked, you just didnt have enough ammo to do it. i did like the gchange to do things differntly though, just not as much as most. a room of 2 guys.. with backs to me.. bullet to back of head seems good enough.. yet i have to crawl behind boxes and steatlh my way through cus the last guy took 4 round to the face and didnt die and Im out of ammo.

new one is pretty agressive (realisitic) 1 vs 6 gun fights seldom favor the one.. so I like that..and GUNS MAKE NOISE so that guy 5 feet away knows when you shoot his buddy.. but i dont like when I pick um of one by one and just want to shoot the last one.. why can he take 30 shots to the body and i can take 4? body armour? sure I can go with that to some degree.. but the game just seems a bit unfair that way.. again.. not to butthurt anybody who loves the game.. just and opinion.. keep in mind I LIKED BULLETWITCH heeheh.. so my mindset is not the same as everybody elses.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
We don't have a "YAKQTTT" (Yet another Karmy Question Troll Topic Thread) shorthand yet do we? Because... we need one. Incoming warning for me. :(

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
It was great for its time... which was over a decade ago. Think of it like the Citizen Kane movie that is still good, but no longer groundbreaking.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't care if this guy's a troll or if he's referring to Deus Ex or Invisible War or Human Revolution...

it matters not, I'm going to use this as an opportunity to express my love for the original Deus Ex. There are never enough chances to do that.

I got the game, in a nice big classic cardboard PC game box... back in 2000 when it released. This was only 2 years after Half-Life and Unreal 1, which I had loved. Hearing that a new shooter was coming out using the Unreal engine was enough to ensure my purchase. This was back when FPS games were still sparse enough that it wasn't completely impractical to basically play them ALL.

Once I got the game, I quickly realized it was different. It wasn't JUST an FPS but it had a lot of other elements to it. Sure, Half-Life had pushed the medium forward a lot, so had Unreal 1 in it's way. Most of the developments then were graphically speaking.

Half-Life did a lot with developing the story and scripting and AI.

Deus Ex cannot be overstated in it's impact though. It was such a monumental leap forward in terms of story, choice (or at least the illusion of it... which may be all we have even IRL... woah), character development... etc etc etc.

It may indeed be one of those "you had to be there" type of things.

All I can say is, I'm glad I was there.

It ranks in my top 5 along with Thief: The Dark Project, System Shock 2, and Fallout 1. Good shit.

Marty502

Aug 25, 2007
I loved Deus Ex back then. The story's incredibly compelling and absorbing.
It hasn't aged very well and some things weren't that good even back then (like shooting dynamics and the voice acting) but it was a great experience.

Human Revolution is IMO a worthy successor in every aspect (I know it's a prequel, but anyway) even if the ending is a bit thin in weight compared to the original DE ending which is so dramatic it's just mad. The voice acting is terrific.

Never played Invisible War.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Marty I agree, Human Revolution is a worthy successor, and you're right that the ending is one of it's weakest points. But overall, HR is great.

Now as for Invisible War, I did play that when it came out. It suffered from heavy XBoxification at that time, as did Thief: Deadly Shadows, though I think Thief survived it a bit better... Invisible War gets a very bad rap, MOSTLY deserved, but at the same time... if you force yourself to get past the annoyances, of mostly how it controls etc... it does have some decent parts. It's rough but I think it was worth getting through. I'm glad I did.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't care if this guy's a troll or if he's referring to Deus Ex or Invisible War or Human Revolution...

karmypolitics is a pretty well-established troll 'round these parts. His threads are terrible.