whats so good about "catcher in the rye"??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PMFleXXX

Feb 11, 2001
Catcher in the rye sucked terribly. It was the most boring book i read in HS and I can't understand what people enjoy about it.

A Seperate Peace on the other hand was way more interesting and kept me enthralled.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Yeah, as someone else mentioned, you're either going to love it or hate it. But if you had to read it in high school, I would recommend re-reading it at some later point in your life so as to try and fully appreciate it.

The reason people like it is mostly because (again, as already mentioned) they can relate to it at some point in their lives. Art imitating life.

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
It's one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Everybody in HS English was completely obsessed with it, which had to do with a.) how stupid nearly all of them were and b.) because they could suck up to the English teacher.

It's a ridiculous easy read but is also one of the worst books I've ever read. Why? Because it was torturously repetitive.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Whisper
Yeah, as someone else mentioned, you're either going to love it or hate it. But if you had to read it in high school, I would recommend re-reading it at some later point in your life so as to try and fully appreciate it.

The reason people like it is mostly because (again, as already mentioned) they can relate to it at some point in their lives. Art imitating life.

i did that, still sucked, yes life sucks but just because i know that and a book says that doesnt make teh book good

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
I loved the Catcher in the Rye.

I don't know how to explain why, but I still have a yellowed, well worn copy on the bookshelf.

My copy is sitting by my bed right next to the great gatsby, and the art of war :D

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: Anubis
Nothing, the book sucked,

Agreed. It's pretty rare that I read a book without finishing it, but Catcher is one that I just couldn't finish.

i actually read it twice, i thought well mabye i just didnt understand it, nope i understood it, i think it sucked more the second time around, after reading the fiest chapter i wanted to kick holden in the balls and tell him to grow the fusk up,

I think that I may have liked it if I read it when I was younger, but I tried reading it last year...Holden was just an immature little prick that I didn't care to read any more about. :disgust:

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
i liked it. the style of the book was great imo. its very easy to relate to a lot of holden's thoughts.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I didn't like it much while reading (though I didn't hate it either). However, looking back and thinking about it, it really strikes a cord sometimes.

Anyway, just read it. Its really short so it'll take you only 2-3 days.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
One of my very favorite novels. I've read it countless times (only takes a few hours)... the story never gets old for me.

l2c

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: khlee
Originally posted by: Lager
Because we can all relate to Holden once in our lifetime.

exactly! =]

and this book appeal to exactly how old of a person??

It's a book about growing up and dealing with the inevitability of adulthood and responsibility. I read it back when I was about 12 or 13, but I think it appeals more to young adult (teenage to mid-20s) males than to other demographics. It's one of my personal favorites. I also enjoyed A Separate Peace.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
It's hard to explain, but before the 50s Americans didn't have the same concept of adolescence that they do now. Adolescence was considered to be the physical transformation of a child's body to that of an adult - and nobody gave very much thought to the emotional aspect of it.

American culture was once much less youth-oriented than it is now. There was no concept of teenagers as a distinct group with their own culture, language, problems and ideas - they were either viewed as large children or small adults, and past 18 they were expected to dress and act like full-fledged adults, plain and simple. Try to imagine a world where all the music, clothes, magazines and TV shows were either aimed at small children or the 35-50 age range. Now go to the library and look at some magazines from WWII.

Catcher in the Rye was the first American novel to realistically portray the emotional life of an American teenager, and presented it in an unflinching way that made Holden's struggles seem almost epic. The cliche was that every young person in the 50s who read it said "Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world who felt like this". Now, of course, virtually all pop music, most of the fashion industry, and a susbstantial part of the film and publishing industry exist soley to exploit and glorify the American Teen. So it's no wonder Salinger's book doesn't have the same impact it did in 1949. But in it's time it made a huge statement.