whats so good about "catcher in the rye"??

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Can someone explain it to me? Is this book worth reading?

can anyone try without spoiling the book? (if its possible of course)

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
What's so great about "To Kill a Mockingbird"? It doesn't even tell you how to kill a mockingbird!!! :|

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I loved the Catcher in the Rye.

I don't know how to explain why, but I still have a yellowed, well worn copy on the bookshelf.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
I loved the Catcher in the Rye.

I don't know how to explain why, but I still have a yellowed, well worn copy on the bookshelf.

assasin

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Gives me the urge to go out and kill people...sometimes politicians or mass groups of people?

Shrink says I should be all better soon

WooHoo, Sunday is jello night at the hospital, plus I get to take off this straight jacket for a few minutes...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
that book was craptacular.. in fact, it was so bad that the paper i wrote about it was horrible (got a D

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
Nothing, the book sucked,

Agreed. It's pretty rare that I read a book without finishing it, but Catcher is one that I just couldn't finish.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: Anubis
Nothing, the book sucked,

Agreed. It's pretty rare that I read a book without finishing it, but Catcher is one that I just couldn't finish.

i actually read it twice, i thought well mabye i just didnt understand it, nope i understood it, i think it sucked more the second time around, after reading the fiest chapter i wanted to kick holden in the balls and tell him to grow the fusk up,

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I liked Catcher in the Rye, mainly because I had to stomach The Joy Luck Club, Kindred, Beloved and Julius Caesar before we read it. But I mean, I feel I could relate to Holden in some ways.

A better book that is Catcher-ish is "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles.

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude

I really liked both books. I thought that Igby Goes Down was a great "Catcher-ish" movie...I believe Salinger somehow made it so Catcher In the Rye itself would never be adapted for the big screen though.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I liked Catcher in the Rye, mainly because I had to stomach The Joy Luck Club, Kindred, Beloved and Julius Caesar before we read it. But I mean, I feel I could relate to Holden in some ways.

I've never read "Catcher", but if ASP is "better", maybe I never will. Just jump off the stupid tree and die already!!!! :|

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

I've never read "Catcher", but if ASP is "better", maybe I never will. Just jump off the stupid tree and die already!!!! :|

omg i hated ASP..but i LOVED catcher...but it's been so long that i dont even remember what the book was about..i just remember i loved it.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: weezergirl
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

omg i hated ASP..but i LOVED catcher...but it's been so long that i dont even remember what the book was about..i just remember i loved it.

ASP just seemed to drag on and on...ok, I get it, you're jealous of your friend...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I think it is way overrated. Why it is required reading in some schools is beyond me.

bdjohnson

Oct 29, 2003
I think catcher in the rhye is a book that you either really like or really hate. I for one really liked it. It reminds me of the Who's rock opera Quadrophenia.