What's recommended Electric shaver or razor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy2

Jul 20, 2017
ok right now im using a razor, its the Gillete fusion, its good , but everytime after i shave, some big red pimples appear on my face, and some like small cuts and stuff, i KNOW how to shave lol,. i was wondering if a Philips electric shaver would be better? and it doesnt shave as close as Razor right? which 1 do u think is better? cause my friend said if i shave with an electric shaver, then id have red pimples on my face, but i think its the other way, wut do u think? any suggestions? thanks

Spam thread. Spam link removed.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
if you're getting cuts with a manual it's because it's sliding laterally imho, and that should not happen.

Anyway I use a Braun electric shaver which has a different design from the philips, which I have never tried.
It is true the shave is not as close as foam and razor but if you shave everyday it's easy to keep it looking decent and takes a low amount of time.

As for the red pimples, I guess it depends on the cause.

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
Grow a beard. I use electric hair clippers , add a 1/2 inch attachment , and go over everything from the neck up. Once a month is good enough.

:) Grow a beard , girlie man. :p ( does that help your decision ? )

Reactions: Bardock

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I would guess that the pimples are ingrown hairs. I get them myself and they're kind of awful. If you want a close shave, my recommendation would be to spring for a double-edged safety razor. So long as you switch out the dirt-cheap blades regularly, it should largely take care of the issue. And it's vastly cheaper in the long run than fusions.

That said, it does require more care. You can really hurt yourself with one of those. But it's nothing like the learning curve on a straight-edge razor.

Of course, growing a short beard is a perfectly cromulent option. I go that way myself sometimes.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If you have a tendency for ingrown hairs, then you need to exfoliate regularly: A good scrub with a flannel or a loofah should suffice. When you use it, it should feel a bit sharp because you need to put in a bit of effort to remove dead bits of skin and other crap that builds up on your face (the kind of stuff that causes a hair to meet resistance and curl inwards). I focus 75% of the work on the places where facial hair grows, and a bit on my forehead as I get a bit spotty there.

I didn't exfoliate until I was in my thirties and I started getting ingrown hairs on a regular basis. I have the choice of my wife attacking my face with tweezers or exfoliating from time to time; the choice is obvious to me :) The only time I get ingrown hairs now is I haven't bothered to exfoliate in a few days.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Braun has done a much better job for me than Remington or Norelco.

I heard a rumor that Porsche once made an electric razor.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
I have fusion and used to get the red dots. Shave after a hot shower and only one stroke, then wash blades, don't swipe without rinsing. Only reason I'm not bearding is the summer heat but this winter I go back to being a man and grow a beard.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I have used many razors, loving my safety razor now. I don't imagine I will go to anything else.

Also for beards; http://nypost.com/2015/05/04/science-proves-that-beards-contain-fecal-matter/

People who continuously stroke their beard, have a nasty beard.

I have fusion and used to get the red dots. Shave after a hot shower and only one stroke, then wash blades, don't swipe without rinsing. Only reason I'm not bearding is the summer heat but this winter I go back to being a man and grow a beard.

I shave after a shower too. Better and easier.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Double edge razor is the only way to go IMO:

A93A4379.jpg

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Also for beards; http://nypost.com/2015/05/04/science-proves-that-beards-contain-fecal-matter/

People who continuously stroke their beard, have a nasty beard.

http://www.snopes.com/study-find-mens-beards-filled-poop/

"I have bad news for y’all: You’re covered in poo bacteria. COVERED. Look to your left, look to your right. There’s probably poo bacteria on both sides and also in front of you. It’s okay. It’s really fine. Embrace the poo bacteria, it is a part of you because you are a multitude of microorganisms, each more special than the last."

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Double edge razor is the only way to go IMO:

I agree with you, here is what I use. Takes more time, but I like to use the bowl, the lather, oil, and take my time. I have to shave for work, so its fairly often I have to do it.

Razor.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/study-find-mens-beards-filled-poop/

"I have bad news for y’all: You’re covered in poo bacteria. COVERED. Look to your left, look to your right. There’s probably poo bacteria on both sides and also in front of you. It’s okay. It’s really fine. Embrace the poo bacteria, it is a part of you because you are a multitude of microorganisms, each more special than the last."

Oh yeah, we all have it. No biggie really. Especially those that have the shitter right next to their sink and toothbrush. Those with it in a closed space have less. I was just pointing out that the guys with long beards who continually stroke them, have shit on their hands very often.

Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I agree with you, here is what I use. Takes more time, but I like to use the bowl, the lather, oil, and take my time. I have to shave for work, so its fairly often I have to do it.

Razor.jpg

Nice razor and brush. I love the longer handles and heavier razor.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017

Razor.jpg

Oh yeah, we all have it. No biggie really. Especially those that have the shitter right next to their sink and toothbrush. Those with it in a closed space have less. I was just pointing out that the guys with long beards who continually stroke them, have shit on their hands very often.

They have as much poo bacteria on their hands and in their faces as everyone else, these "enterics" are actually gut bacteria and not specific to feces (but are in your feces as well), they are harmless and exist everywhere on your body.

Of course, if you actually wipe with your beard then that is highly unsanitary. ;)

Oh, and nice set.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Forgot to mention after shower, shave with fusion razor, then use moisturizer or lotion on the face. I use a Burts bees variety. This helps me avoid the red bumps. Also I get my blades for $1 a piece from some Chinese guy on eBay. Same thing Gillette charges almost $20 for four blades. Now the Chinese version doesn't have the finishing blade but other than that it's identical.

XWAOTT8.jpg

ChrisKC

Jul 21, 2017
If you're set on electric, definitely go with Braun. If you're open to trying something new, I would recommend the double edge as well. Takes a little more time, but isn't anything worth doing worth doing right?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I moved from regular razors to a "safety razor" (which I found to be crap, btw, personal preference) and i'm now on an electric twin foil shaver.

Cost me about £30, takes much longer to get the quality shave I like, as it sometimes misses hairs or due to the angles of my chin and neck doesn't shave them all equally, but since moving to a foil shaver over a razor I don't get ingrown hairs anymore and don't spend 7 hours a day scratching my face trying to rip my skin off.

Mark_Steve

Mar 9, 2021
Electric shaver does shaving in few minutes with deep and close shave even without any cuts or irritation on the skin, if we talk about razors - it is very time consuming because skin lathering is requirement with gels or foams before shaving. With the help of electric shavers, people can trim hair up to certain length as well that can not be possible in case of manual razors. Electric shavers have buzzed people with their performance within short period of time. In United States, people are fond of electric shavers because they are very punctual for their schedules and they do not have extra time to spend on such things.
Electric shavers are better than manual razors in every way , whether it is about functions, quality or performance. Because of its superior performance testers recommend electric shavers as compared to manual razors.
Electric shavers works well on all areas whether it is face, neckline, head etc. In short, it is all purpose product.

Status
Not open for further replies.