Whats a Good 20" Wide Screen LCD for Gaming?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
The dell 2005 is probably the best if your looking for a widescreen monitor.

ANY monitor you buy will have backlight leakage. (note a say ANY) It's mearly a fact of life with LCD's that they ALL have backlight leaking. It's just whether you can see it or not. I have a Viewsonic VP930b, and it's a pretty bad backlight leakage monitor. But guess what, I don't even see it. I ONLY see it when theirs a black image on my screen, and only if I look for the leakage (X-light problem).

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
My wife has a ViewSonic widescreen 19" LCD with some backlight issues. I don't know that Dells are any worse than other brands in the price range.

The Dell 2005FPW has an 8-bit IPS panel, while the other 2 are 6-bit TN panels. The Dell will have much better viewing angles and 8-bit monitor usually have nicer colors.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as...rodid=11105977&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

I'm pretty happy with my 2 smaller 6-bit TN LCDs, but I can already see the shortcomings in viewing angle, especially on my wife's 19" widescreen. For a 20" or larger screen, an IPS screen would be better than an TN panel - hence you should consider the Dell.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
2005fpw

FTW.

I have had tons of LCD's.. By far the best 20" WS

Price is just ridiculous.

darXoul

Jan 15, 2004
Belinea 10 20 35 is a good 20" wide monitor based on the 8 ms P-MVA panel. Also worth considering

BUT

the best 20" widescreen is now the NEC 20W(M)GX2. Compared to Dell 2005FPW, it has (a) TV functionality with HDCP (US version), (b) better response time (a clearly visible difference in games), (c) usually quite good backlight (bleeding problems seem rare).

People who say that Dell 2005 is "by far" the best 20" widescreen, apparently have a poor source of information since the NEC is the top dog right now. Its glossy panel is not everyone's cup of tea though.

darXoul

Jan 15, 2004
2007WFP = 16 ms panel (on/off). I wonder what its g2g response is. If it's the same as for 2005FPW (12 ms), the monitor is not much of an improvement, to be honest. BTW, HDCP is not mentioned in the specs (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't checked the 2006 support site for a while now).

darkdemyze

Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2 20.1

do it

beautiful monitor

Agreed. Best 20" money can buy right now.

The 2007FWP was one of my considerations as I'm getting a widescreen soon, and yes, it has HDCP. But then I found out about the NEC and thus I'm saving up to get one now.

Edit: The American version of the NEC has HDCP, UK version doesn't.

pulsedrive

Apr 19, 2005
Yeah, I have heard good things about the NEC, but the Dell is a MUCH better deal, seeing as the NEC runs for about 700 and you can get the Dell for about 400 easily. I am VERY pleased with my Dell that I have had for about a year now.

darkdemyze

Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: pulsedrive
Yeah, I have heard good things about the NEC, but the Dell is a MUCH better deal, seeing as the NEC runs for about 700 and you can get the Dell for about 400 easily. I am VERY pleased with my Dell that I have had for about a year now.

I'm sure the Dell is an excellant monitor, but realize you get what you pay for..

You can find reviews of the NEC here.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: darXoul
Belinea 10 20 35 is a good 20" wide monitor based on the 8 ms P-MVA panel. Also worth considering

BUT

the best 20" widescreen is now the NEC 20W(M)GX2. Compared to Dell 2005FPW, it has (a) TV functionality with HDCP (US version), (b) better response time (a clearly visible difference in games), (c) usually quite good backlight (bleeding problems seem rare).

People who say that Dell 2005 is "by far" the best 20" widescreen, apparently have a poor source of information since the NEC is the top dog right now. Its glossy panel is not everyone's cup of tea though.

It depends really, if you factor cost and availability the 2005fpw may very well be the "best 20" widescreen."

Also, I don't think you can get the Belineas in the US at anywhere near a good value but I haven?t looked in awhile so that may have changed.

As far as backlight bleeding problems go, you have to remember 2 things.

1. Every LCD *right now* has backlight bleed to some extent. Some people you see bitching do not know this, so their expectations are not set properly. Maybe they are coming from a CRT, maybe they read another post about it on a forum and just never noticed it before ~ monkey see, monkey do, maybe they don't have the slightest idea how to do even a rudimentary calibration on a screen.

I have 7 LCDs between work and home, of these a 2005fpw, a 2405fpw, apple CD 20, and a prior favorite the Samsung 710T. The 2005fpw has the LEAST backlight bleed out of all panels, with the Apple being a close second. Maybe I just got lucky on that one *shrug*

2. The 2005fpw is a VERY popular choice right now. This may be another reason you see so many posts about it. It has a higher install base with the "tech forum" crowd that most others.

darkdemyze

Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: VoteQuimby
Gateway FPD2185 21" FTW

I love mine :)

I considered that monitor, even thought it looked great [at office depot]. But I read on WSGF that it had some gradiant issues. Not sure if that's even a noticable issue, but I'm quite picky about anything I'm spending any great amount of money on as I'm not planning on getting another monitor for quite some time.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Another satisfied Dell 2005fpw owner here. Sure it has backlight bleeding but, I only notice it when the screen is completely black and then only if I am looking for backlight bleeding. The 2005fpw is arguably the best bang for the buck in widescreen gaming goodness on the market right now. It has excellent color representation and a good viewing angle. I purchased mine from Dell last summer for around $418 shipped including tax.

Jun 14, 2003

cool

thats not the case here, the 20 inch WS dell (2005FPW) is £400 new, the NEC can be had for £420. worth the extra

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: darkdemyze

I'm sure the Dell is an excellant monitor, but realize you get what you pay for..

You can find reviews of the NEC here.
Exactly. You get what you pay for. I've got a guy I work with that has returned 3 2005FPW LCDs because of awful backlight leakage. It was EXTREMELY distracting playing games in the dark with that monitor. The leakage was THAT much more apparent then.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the NEC LCD. The Dell is cheaper, but you do get what you pay for.