What would you put in this old barn?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There is this guy who lives down the street from me who renovated his 1,500 sq foot barn into an "art gallery" and has been trying to rent it for the past few months. He started around $800 a month, and has dropped the price several times. It's now just $500 a month, and I can't help but wonder what I would use this space for instead of a art gallery and turn a profit.

What do you guys put in this spot? A restaurant? A thrift shop? A brewery?

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/off/5787846262.html

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Kinda fancy. A little too fancy. I'd have to see it in person to get a feel for it, but maybe a small restaurant featuring higher end country fare; German maybe.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Kinda fancy. A little too fancy. I'd have to see it in person to get a feel for it, but maybe a small restaurant featuring higher end country fare; German maybe.

Yeah, I could totally see a German brew pub or a Farm to Table type restaurant going into that spot. It's right next to a Country Club, so it could probably pull business from it pretty easily.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I think I'd put a couple of goats in there and some of whatever it is that goats eat.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Alcohol needs to be involved. It needs to be German-esque. Beer & Liquor have far longer shelf-lives than food so that's a good thing. Then a simply standard menu of your usual fries, chicken tenders, onion rings and some varieties of sausage and kraut. Open seating - lots of picnic tables with benches. Play some polka music here and there and profit.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nazi radio room, but then, everything I know about barns I learned from playing Wolfenstein.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Alcohol needs to be involved. It needs to be German-esque. Beer & Liquor have far longer shelf-lives than food so that's a good thing. Then a simply standard menu of your usual fries, chicken tenders, onion rings and some varieties of sausage and kraut. Open seating - lots of picnic tables with benches. Play some polka music here and there and profit.

oh don't forget enough large screen tv's. you want to get the weekend football crew plus random weekday and weekend baseball/basketball/hockey folks

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It's impossible to even tell what they have by those photos. All I can tell by the description is that it has a bathroom and lights. Is there any kind of kitchen, or even sinks or roughed in plumbing for a bar? Open area to have a small band? How much parking is there?

My first thoughts to a place like that is either weddings/receptions or bluegrass bands. Doesn't sound like it's anywhere near being able to host either.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It's impossible to even tell what they have by those photos. All I can tell by the description is that it has a bathroom and lights. Is there any kind of kitchen, or even sinks or roughed in plumbing for a bar? Open area to have a small band? How much parking is there?

My first thoughts to a place like that is either weddings/receptions or bluegrass bands. Doesn't sound like it's anywhere near being able to host either.

Was kind of my thoughts also, If there is a decent catering service nearby. I've seen similar things in the past, you are not just going to move in and turn it into a bar or restaurant without licensing, a kitchen, etc.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I know that it has a bathroom, but I doubt that it has a kitchen. There is ample parking nearby, because it's next to a large vet's office.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'd offer 600 and contract him to pay for electricity, then just turn it into a bitcoin heatsink.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I'd offer 600 and contract him to pay for electricity, then just turn it into a bitcoin heatsink.

If I won the lotto I would do that, I swear. I'd buy or build a building and make a company that sold services or just harvest for my own greedy self. MUHAHAHAHA. $$$$

Actually, you think a bank will give me a loan? LOL What would be the risk? Fire? Electrical failure? Well, besides the obvious bitcoin price and complexity. I mean difficulty.