What would you have done?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I live in Des Moines, IA.

There is a a furniture store here called Homemakers, and it is owned by Warren Buffet (who also owns another furniture store calledNebraska Furniture Mart).

Well, tonight the wife, kids, and I go shopping for a new bed and new dining set.

I pick out the bedset ($900.00 and in stock), and then go to pick out the dining table. After going through fifteen different tables that I liked and be told every one is out of stock for 8-12 weeks, I start to get frustrated and jokingly ask "Do you only stock the $2000.00+ tables?", in which she looks really confused and answers no.

I then ask if I pay one delivery charge ($45.00), could the table be delivered when it comes in for free. She tells me to ask a manager.

I go and find the manager (looks about 25 years old), and ask him that same question. He, like a robot, states that "deliveries are a service and we charge for them". He offers no apologies, no suggestions, no anything.

I then just say I am a manager in retail and I know how it works, and then I turn around gather the kids, and am on my way. I refuse to give my hard earned money to a company who can't even discuss anything.

On the way out, the wife rips my ass, telling me I should have just paid the extra $45.00 ($90.00 total).

Am I getting old and grumpy? What would you have done?

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Who the hell cares? There are billions of stores that sell beds and tables. Check out another one and skip the drama.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I'm not even going read the OP, I'll just blurt out my standard answer.

If you have to ask, you were wrong.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle
Who the hell cares? There are billions of stores that sell beds and tables. Check out another one and skip the drama.

Well thank you Mr. Asshole.

I guess, I should have posted something more lighthearted this evening.

Maybe something like masturbation, "I hate my life" threads, or "What are you eating now?" threads.

:brokenheart:

Did you like the set that much that it was worth an extra $90 to have it?
If not, then continue to shop around.

Jan 18, 2001
you're looking to spend about 2000k and they won't waive the delivery? thats a bunch of BS. call back during the day and talk to the GM or someone else who can fire that kid.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I've never had a furniture store budge on delivery charges. Knock off the price a little bit - yes. Take care of the sales tax - sure. But delivery charge is a sacred cow. After all, you pay $45 not just for a simple haul. You pay for assembly, delivery and and the right to say: 'take it back and bring me another one' if a piece of furniture arrives damaged.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
I would have walked out, too. Maybe she just really wanted that new bed so she could attack you, and waiting was out of the question :D

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I would probably just go to another store. Your wife ripping on you is another issue entirely. :beer:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
you're looking to spend about 2000k and they won't waive the delivery? thats a bunch of BS. call back during the day and talk to the GM or someone else who can fire that kid.

I contacted them via their website, and let then know what happened.

I have had people in my job who don't want to pay for a delivery at all, however if we are out of stock of most of our items, we are taking care of them with a discount or free delivery.

I mean, beds have about a 70% markup. They could have easily taken $45.00 out of that price.

SampSon, I liked the set, but it is just a matter of principle. The manager could have done something, but he chose not to.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: paulney
I've never had a furniture store budge on delivery charges. Knock off the price a little bit - yes. Take care of the sales tax - sure. But delivery charge is a sacred cow. After all, you pay $45 not just for a simple haul. You pay for assembly, delivery and and the right to say: 'take it back and bring me another one' if a piece of furniture arrives damaged.

There's an idea. Pay the charge. Find something wrong with the first 3 tables they bring out (keep sending them back) and keep the fourth one. That'll teach them.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: paulney

There's an idea. Pay the charge. Find something wrong with the first 3 tables they bring out (keep sending them back) and keep the fourth one. That'll teach them.

Well, the way the seem to stock items there, I won't have my table for a year;)

Tell your wife to allow you to wear the pants in public.

I can try, but you know how that goes.:eek:

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
I prob would have wanted to shell out the extra money than deal with the bitching from the wife, but as other posters have said- look for another route like a discount on the orig price.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
You need to work on your dealing skills a bit. Maybe you could have got $45 knocked off the price of the piece(s) to be delivered so effectively you'd pay -0- for delivery, if they need to stick to the $45 delivery charge. Then again, the sales person could've worked on their skills as well :p

Enjoy the free market, find what you like at another place.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
I think I woulda bought the bed I wanted and the table I wanted, and told 'em to wait and deliver 'em both, when the table came in... for the 45.00..

Punch her in the face out of anger!

j/j
I would have done the same thing, good for you, your old lady will get over it.

housecat

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Interesting. I dont think you did wrong. FK them.

BTW I'm in cedar rapids iowa.

warren buffett is from omaha, which is why he has alot to do with desmoines and westward with those stores.

we went to slumberland for our last bed.. no hassle and low price.

i'd renegotiate your marriage tho, when we're shopping if i dont want to pay something i just say "no, i'm not paying for that dear, we're leaving"
try that, if you get smacked.. dont do it again.
lol

but if you buy two things, you should only have to pay one delivery fee.

what i would have done is said, "fine, but i'll pay the fees, but I want this one delivered on this day, and the second item delivered a week after"

then you get your moneys worth making them work harder.

otherwise if they are willing to deliver the items the same day, then tell them you'll pay the single $45.

those pricier places generally do NO wheeling and dealing.. even on something like delivery.
which IMO is ridiculous.

thats just disrespect, i'd prob suggest just leaving and getting ripped off by someone else who will at least make you FEEL like you are getting something free.

your wife may disrespect you, but dont pay warren buffett's coffers and let them disrespect you as well.

i think you did the right thing :thumbsup:

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: UsandThem
On the way out, the wife rips my ass, telling me I should have just paid the extra $45.00 ($90.00 total).

What's the big deal? Wait until they are in stock, then buy it. :confused:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: UsandThem

What's the big deal? Wait until they are in stock, then buy it. :confused:

I have bought once before from this place, and they seem to have a problem with ordering enough stock.

I am in the process of ordering a mattress online. Never thought I would be doing that :)