What would you do with all your extra free time if\when you retire?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
so like 150$k then? dang

I don't know, do they really cost that much? I assumed they started closer to 60k. He hasn't even told me yet, but I want to check it out. I might bike there and surprise him..."whoa what's this in your driveway!?"

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always thought it would be a fun project to get one of those short school buses and convert it into a camper. Those things are built like tanks and can often be gotten for cheap. They are terribly insulated, but you could build studded walls inside and insulate it etc. Could have solar panels on the roof for power. Maybe even a retractable wind turbine. Heck, convert the entire thing to run on electricity including the engine. Even if it takes days to charge the battery off solar, it could work if you don't plan to constantly be traveling but just hop from place to place without any schedule. You'd pretty much be self sufficient energy wise. Need an extended drain pipe that you can aim at a storm sewer when the shitter's full. :D

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Work at home full time as it is. Being retired and around the house with nothing to do will not be fun. Just got back from a road trip and while it's different, it gets tiresome. All vacations do, really... because you like going back to what's familiar. Said that after 2 weeks in Hawaii, said that after a week on a cruise ship to the Caribbean.

I think I'll need to at least work part-time to keep from going insane.

Nov 8, 2012
Work at home full time as it is. Being retired and around the house with nothing to do will not be fun. Just got back from a road trip and while it's different, it gets tiresome. All vacations do, really... because you like going back to what's familiar. Said that after 2 weeks in Hawaii, said that after a week on a cruise ship to the Caribbean.

I think I'll need to at least work part-time to keep from going insane.

I think part of the stress for vacations is the bullshit of timing, planning, be here at this time bullshit. Which I understand when you have a job - you have to have your ducks in a row to make sure you accomplish what you want to accomplish with your limited time period, and because you have to time flights/hotel bookings.

BUT - when you are retired you don't have that stress of "Be back by X time on Y date because you have Z tasks to do when you get back". I feel like that would be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE burden off my shoulders. Ehhh? Flight cancelled? Fuck it, let's sit around and explore the city one more night. 0 fucks given.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
My wife says I am going to be bored. And I might be. But on my scale, being bored outweighs getting up at 4:30 AM and dealing with BS most of the day. When I get too bored I'll find something to do.
(It will probably be your mom though.)
(/alky)

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
(It will probably be your mom though.)
(/alky)

callout from the ATOT grave, automatic ban

DVjZjkk.gif

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Play video games, participate in church more, tend to my plants, watch my forest grow, grill awesome food.

Rough life.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
A VW camper would be perfect for me, aside from the newest ones being ~40 years old at this point. I can work on them, but my idea of a nice retirement isn't working on VW campers.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I always thought it would be a fun project to get one of those short school buses and convert it into a camper. Those things are built like tanks and can often be gotten for cheap. They are terribly insulated, but you could build studded walls inside and insulate it etc. Could have solar panels on the roof for power. Maybe even a retractable wind turbine. Heck, convert the entire thing to run on electricity including the engine. Even if it takes days to charge the battery off solar, it could work if you don't plan to constantly be traveling but just hop from place to place without any schedule. You'd pretty much be self sufficient energy wise. Need an extended drain pipe that you can aim at a storm sewer when the shitter's full. :D

I never bothered with the solar panels, if i need to top up the house batteries i'll go for a bit of a drive...

A VW camper would be perfect for me, aside from the newest ones being ~40 years old at this point. I can work on them, but my idea of a nice retirement isn't working on VW campers.

I saw quite a few old VW campervans this summer......the driver usually had a great big smirk on his face because there was a large trail of vehicles behind him desperate to pass....

What i'd like to get is one of these UNIMOG's , i saw 3 of these on the road to Inuvik this summer, they'd be perfect. So back to work i go trying to save up for one of these :)

8bcfeebb11269361fa0628d9af6e4997.jpg

0bd9d882133683104740de27606810b0.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I saw quite a few old VW campervans this summer......the driver usually had a great big smirk on his face because there was a large trail of vehicles behind him desperate to pass....
LoL! That sounds about right. You should have hung around for the look of terror on windy mountain passages. Nothing gets the blood going like being blown across lanes on a small road :^D

Reactions: Meghan54

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
When I retired I found that there really wasn't enough time to go to work. Free time , I still don't have any.

Reactions: Meghan54

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
LoL! That sounds about right. You should have hung around for the look of terror on windy mountain passages. Nothing gets the blood going like being blown across lanes on a small road :^D
Yeah quite a few of them where on their way across the mountains....good friend of mine has a fully restored '69 vw campervan, beautiful underpowered van

Just saw that VW plans to re-introduce their microbus in 2022

concept https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2022-volkswagen-i-d-buzz/preview/
vwbussconcept

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I think part of the stress for vacations is the bullshit of timing, planning, be here at this time bullshit. Which I understand when you have a job - you have to have your ducks in a row to make sure you accomplish what you want to accomplish with your limited time period, and because you have to time flights/hotel bookings.

BUT - when you are retired you don't have that stress of "Be back by X time on Y date because you have Z tasks to do when you get back". I feel like that would be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE burden off my shoulders. Ehhh? Flight cancelled? Fuck it, let's sit around and explore the city one more night. 0 fucks given.

You still have to pay for extra nights away like a hotel/resort/change flights, which is why you want to fit things into a given day. We had 2-3 days each at 3 locations this trip with only 1 thing at a set time. We had to try and fill the time with fun things to do, because wandering around aimlessly is even worse as far as the fun meter goes. I don't know, maybe old people don't care about having that fun and just like to people and bird watch or somethin...

My mom is retired and aside from morning walks, she's always eager to go out with her kids (us) and the grandkids. That's not exactly a great way to live your retirement days. I think you need a lot of brothers/sisters/friends retired to go traveling to make it routinely fun.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My younger brother did this 2 years ago and him and his wife moved to Texas and have been living in it for over a year. I could never do something like that though.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I want to retire to hike every fourteener in Colorado, do the AT and Pacific Trail too. Sadly by the time I do retire, healthcare will be so much and medicare will pay so little that I will have to tie myself to a chair and wrap myself in bubble wrap because I wont be able to risk an injury.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

I agree. Planning, scheduling and knowing you have to fly back are the biggest stressers of vacationing for me. Retirement with money means you dont need to schedule or fly. Want to visit Europe, take a week long cruise anytime of year just to get there and a week to get back. Want to see the US, drive there visiting people and places along the way. Without the money though, it means you need to research cheaper alternatives and plan more.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My younger brother did this 2 years ago and him and his wife moved to Texas and have been living in it for over a year. I could never do something like that though.

Yeah don't think I'd want to live in it indefinitely but would be cool for traveling and not needing a hotel and being somewhat organized in there so you're not constantly packing/unpacking your stuff. Having a built in private bathroom would be a bonus too. The problem is where do you park, most places probably won't let you park just anywhere.