What word offends you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Beev
None. Period. Words are just that. Words.
Interesting that the first reply in this thread should also have been the last.

A man could do and say many things to insult me personally and never once use a "cuss word".

The OP and his gal need to be offended by people more, and language less.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: lyssword
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Beev
None. Period. Words are just that. Words.

Bullshit.. words are everything, that's the #1 way humans communicate. Words are extremely important, and if you don't realize that then I am sorry..
I am an Immigrant and I can tell you firsthand how important words are. If you can't communicate with words, people will view you as sub-human.

erummmmmmm

WTF?

How one uses words separates a politician from a president.. A regular worker from CEO
If you are saying wtf, I probably insulted your intelligence, by using words nonetheless..

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
LOL. Some of the responses are just funny. I think lyssword misunderstood what I was asking.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
it's not so much the word, it's the tone, and the reason the person says it.

and anyone who says words don't offend or bother you is fos. :p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: moshquerade

ill freely admit that i am FOS, but im serious when i say they dont offend or bother me

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I don't get offended very much, but it makes me extremely angry when people make blatant grammar mistakes; for instance: "Why don't you got those?"
"I got those"
"No, them over there."
"Them ones?"

*shoots self*

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
It's not the words that offend me so much as the person who is using them does. Yes, I am offended by the existence of certain people.

It's the person who says it that offends me, words are just the insight into their character.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

ill freely admit that i am FOS, but im serious when i say they dont offend or bother me
well, yeh, if i were to type it out it's easy to dismiss, but if a family member says you are a worthless pos... that wouldn't bother you?

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
i think you missed the point of this thread lyssword

Calling certain words is harmless given the appropriate setting, however in certain context and depending how often it's said, the same namecalling could be very damaging to the said person.. Words themselves are not offensive obviously, but like I mentioned, it's about the way you used them.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Where's the guy that hates lulz, or the irregardless guy? Show yourselves!

KT

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
I don't really get offended easily, or at least not enough to confront somebody who says a word that I consider to be in bad taste.

But some of the stuff that irks me are racial slurs, and when people refer to women as bitch, wise and beautiful woman, etc.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

well, yeh, if i were to type it out it's easy to dismiss, but if a family member says you are a worthless pos... that wouldn't bother you?

prob not,

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
None, no swear words anyway. "Worthless" might offend me depending on the person who said it and their tone of voice/context.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Words are only offensive if you allow them to be.

I simply don't allow them to be.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
There aren't any that really offend me.

It bothers me when I hear people toss around liberal and conservative with negative vocal implications. Most of the time what they're describing as bad liberal/conservative is wrong (by definition, obviously an opinion can't be wrong, unless the person is just a moron and people even of their affiliation say to ignore them). In high school I wrote an essay about this and how the words no longer mean what they originally did, that's how strongly I feel about it. I bet if people didn't use these words when discussing politics people with differing opinions could discuss more amicably.

Edit: I lied. Racial slurs. Especially the n word.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't like the phrase you used to your girlfriend, or the more common one, "Don't be stupid" (or "What are you, retarded?"). Never have liked it. It's usually used by people who don't understand what was originally asked and lash out instead of answering it. I guess its more the tone than the phrase that usually accompanies it that makes it more offensive.