What word offends you?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: moshquerade
it's not so much the word, it's the tone, and the reason the person says it.

and anyone who says words don't offend or bother you is fos. :p

Spot on, Mosh!

I had a summer job as a customer service person in a department store when I was in school, and communication was one thing I was trained on. Communication is comprised of body language, tone and words.

I don't remember the exact percentages from the study they quoted, but body language is far the most important factor, comprising about 55% of the message. Tone of voice makes up just under 40%. Word choice only factors in 7-8% of how the message is interpreted.

Certainly some words are offensive, but they become much more offensive depending on the tone used, and any accompanying gestures.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
"Belgium"

BELGIUM ...
How can it be?
They make some of the worlds best beer!!!

I am offended by "France" and also "Packers"

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Well after I left France the other day, I went to Belgium and saw the Packers play on TV. So I went to this bar and ordered some wine and the bartend said "What are you, retarded?" "Why don't you got wine?" I axed, but he ignored me. So I told the wise and beautiful woman to fuck off and, being tired of the censorship of wine, I left. Nobody should act so uppity. Anyway I did run across Britney Spears being lazy. Big surprise there. I headed into a liquor store and asked the attendant for a couple of bottles of wine. "Them ones?" He asked. "No" I said, "Them over there." As I left the store I saw one of those cool guards that just stands perfectly still and crap. Well, I found out that if you steal his blunderbuss that he WILL move. They don't have any tolerance for that type of activity. I went back to my hotel and drank and slept.

Oh, and gravitas.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: OdiN
Well after I left France the other day, I went to Belgium and saw the Packers play on TV. So I went to this bar and ordered some wine and the bartend said "What are you, retarded?" "Why don't you got wine?" I axed, but he ignored me. So I told the wise and beautiful woman to fuck off and, being tired of the censorship of wine, I left. Nobody should act so uppity. Anyway I did run across Britney Spears being lazy. Big surprise there. I headed into a liquor store and asked the attendant for a couple of bottles of wine. "Them ones?" He asked. "No" I said, "Them over there." As I left the store I saw one of those cool guards that just stands perfectly still and crap. Well, I found out that if you steal his blunderbuss that he WILL move. They don't have any tolerance for that type of activity. I went back to my hotel and drank and slept.

Oh, and gravitas.

lulz, good one. Irregardless, you forgot about 'nef', bitch :p.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
"B*****m"

B*****M ...
How can it be?
They make some of the worlds best beer!!!

I am offended by "France" and also "Packers"

Watch your tongue!

It's commonly known that that word is the rudest word in the universe, which is why it's been completely banned in all parts of the galaxy (except a rather unfashionable spiral arm).

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I actually get offended by some words when they are directed at other people moreso than when they are directed at me. For example, if someone called a friend of mine a 'bitch', or 'retard', or 'huge manatee' or whatever, then I would get offended, but if they called me that I would not care.

KT

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
i love you/lovely human.. when used by morons who uses it for everyone they don't like. Not really offensive to me, but it's just a huge pet peeve.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
No words offend me. I can listen to someone spout off bullshit all day long and not care. What really offends me is stupidity.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
"Sheeple"

You can't read two sentences in P&N without some tool using it.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
I'm ok with most words, but I've always found men using the word wise and beautiful woman to describe someone to be super offensive. sorta like heterosexuals saying i love you.

I've really never understood why girls hate that word so much. It's kinda funny just to piss 'em off.

Edit: ""Sheeple"

You can't read two sentences in P&N without some tool using it. "

DAMNIT! IT'S SHEOPLE!

dudeman007

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
None. I gotta say though, as an average white male I think most offensive/forbidden words are just stupid. I feel like everyone else has some offensive word out their for their gender or race. I agree for example that we should NEVER call women bitches/cunts or black people the n word....but at the end of the day people make wayyy too big of a deal about things. I'm not trying to sound sexist or racist, I just think when you're a person like me you spend a lot of time making sure you don't offend the wrong people and people can pretty much slander you however they want.