What was your first RPG game?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
On the contrary, this is usually one of my least favourite parts of a video game. If it's well implemented, I have nothing against it (I mean when it comes to saving the world without initial intention of the characters to do so or to have to do it at all), but in most cases, saving the world is an excuse for the developers to make a blank main character with no real reasons to do what he does. I prefer intimate stories like the one in Planescape: Torment for example. All the prophecies and "must save world!" things are a big clichés. A cheap MacGuffin in most cases.

What's an example of "saving the world" that you don't care for?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
RPGs tend to have better music and storytelling approaches than most other VG formats. To me it's a more robust and interactive version of reading a novel. Every FF game has various songs I like (even XIII which was a surprise when Uematsu wasn't doing it anymore), and Chrono Cross tops my list for music in particular.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Growing up RPGs were my favourite games by far, but I almost never play them anymore. I just don't have the patience these days. Over the past year or so I've tried Stalker, Oblivion, and The Witcher (maybe others?) and I get bored after just a few hours and never go back to them.

Maybe if I can get finally get Fallout 3 working I will give that a try.

KT

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
On the contrary, this is usually one of my least favourite parts of a video game. If it's well implemented, I have nothing against it (I mean when it comes to saving the world without initial intention of the characters to do so or to have to do it at all), but in most cases, saving the world is an excuse for the developers to make a blank main character with no real reasons to do what he does. I prefer intimate stories like the one in Planescape: Torment for example. All the prophecies and "must save world!" things are a big clichés. A cheap MacGuffin in most cases.

That's one of the appeals of classics like Chrono Trigger that make it stand out from the rest. Its starts out as a group of friends who simply have an accident that sends them through time and you're at first just trying to fix all the trivial shit you broke in the timeline and get things back to normal. You just happen to accidentally go too far into the future and witness the end of the world by complete accident only a few short years from your present time. Being you are the only ones who know, can time travel, and nobody would believe your story, you set out to save the world yourself and change the future and discover that the cause of world destruction has been brewing for many centuries before yours completely unnoticed. Add character development and relationships, conspiracies, and various factions from the shadows, you have a recipe for a masterpiece.

Saving the world and why you have to do it is part of the actual story and not just an assumed cliche pretext plot device. I love games where the context of saving the world is generated in game by the natural progression of story events and not just a pretext.

Its like wow is this really happening omfg wtf totally didn't see this coming, and then you and your characters take it personally and its like they gain a new purpose in life beyond their meaningless existence 5 minutes ago and the universe gets a whole lot bigger than your trivial day to day life. Too late to put the worms back in the can. You get pumped and its like alright lets do this shit! /Chrono Trigger melody :whiste:

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Why so? Just cause it doesn't say "Level 5 Warrior" doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

Though the one mark against them is that Zelda games are incredibly linear, with no real player choice or dialogue options. In that sense they are just like Call of Duty. ;)

Eh? In the original zelda you could go all the way to the end boss without a sword. You could beat the dungeons in pretty much any order you want. You could start a new game and head straight for the dungeons, or you could go collect all the hidden money and buy a bunch of the upgrades before heading into the 1st dungeon.

tosaytheleast

May 10, 2013
Diablo was my first RPG and it was like heaven before even if the graphics isn't that good. I love the storyline and the characters. I first used Barbarian but when I already gained knowledge about the game, I quickly changed my character to Paladin. Suits my personality well. :)

ad3pt7

Mar 7, 2013
Not 100% sure, but I believe it was either Legend of Zelda on the NES or Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1. My memory sucks though lol.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Diablo 1 when I was like 7 years old, lol. I shat bricks multiple times.

Before that all I played was Mario and Mega Man.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Zork's, Maniac Mansion, Ultima, Pool of Radiance.
I cannot even remember most.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
I assume you mean cRPG, otherwise D&D.

There were a few back then, I remember playing all the SSI games but not which was first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Azure_Bonds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Beholder_(video_game)

They were more tactical simulations, I remember
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Candle
was more like a modern game.

Depending on your definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_(Unix_video_game)

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_of_Radiance

Probably my 1st of the series. I think Azure Bonds was the sequel. I miss games like that. Remember the beholder room?

Last edited: