What was your first RPG game?

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
So, what was your first RPG and which elements hooked you on the genre?

For me, it was the first Fallout. Character creation was offering a lot options, but it was the element of exploration and dialogues that made me love the genre. I was really bad the first I've played it, but whenever a green circle appeared on the map (the green circle was a symbol for a visitable location) my heart jumped with a joy. They kicked me out of Junktown, wanted to kill me in Necropolis and Asylum, but still, it made me realize that this is what I want from a video game, coherent world, entertaining NPCs and quests, a lot of choices how to behave or solve the situation, good exploration element, non-linear uncovering of areas and even some parts of the story and a great leveling system that makes you look forward to each level up. I haven't played such games in quite a while If I don't count older games that I've already finished couple of times.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
ahh... probably final fantasy 2 (4?) on snes. I had ultima on the c64 but really never got into it. Only rented it though, never actually bought it. My first purchased rpg was chrono trigger, and is still one of my all time faves.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I would have to say FF on the nes, but pc side it would have been fallout 1, i may have tried a few others, but fallout1 was the first on the pc that i finished completely

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
Ultima VIII was the first, I believe. But really hooked was Fallout 1 and Diablo 1. Wow - great, great times

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Dragon Warrior... but I was too young to know how to play it so I watched my brother's friend play a bunch of it, then I completely forgot about the game except for some strange dreams.... which eventually led me to find the name of the game again, then I was hooked.. I didn't sleep until Dragon Warrior was finished and the next day I sunk myself into the second... I finished the first 4 within a couple weeks and was happy as could be.... ah, the good ol' days

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
Not sure.
Ultima IV and Hillsfar on c64 I do remember, but those might not be the first ones..

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Pokemon Red. Came late to the game. Sadly I missed a lot of great Genesis ones but they were obscenely expensive back then.

walkur

May 1, 2001
I think played my 1st real RPG on the MSX2 around 1986/87, not sure which one.
I do know it was a japanse one, either hydlide, final fantasy,xak or Ys (played them all).

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
Phantasy Star, Sega Master System, I highly recommend it even today. Then there was Miracle Warriors, PS2. the glory days of RPGing. There was no community to question about how to beat the next boss. You had to bang your head against the wall until the next step became clear.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Black Cauldron on my Aunt's Apple or something PC. But not sure if that game constitutes an RPG or regular point and click.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Oh Geez, probably Dragonlance: Champions of Krynn on the PC.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think it "might" be Adventure on Atari 2600. At least, that's the game that kind of put me on the track to being a RPG fan. There were a few others later but I can't remember what they were.