What was your first RPG game?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Umm, the Legend of Zelda (in the gold box). The first PC game? Umm, probably Daggerfall. I will say, Warcraft 2 probably started my affinity for the fantasy genre as a whole though. Probably does not count as a rpg though.

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Why so? Just cause it doesn't say "Level 5 Warrior" doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

Though the one mark against them is that Zelda games are incredibly linear, with no real player choice or dialogue options. In that sense they are just like Call of Duty. ;)

RPGs generally have some degree of choice in character selection and development. Mostly skill/ability building and party composition. I was initially referring to Zelda 1 as not being an RPG, but the 2nd one is. If we're being purely pedantic, virtually any game where you control a character not defined as yourself is a role-playing game, but then the distinction is lost.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
You-spoony-bard.jpg

..and still one of the best ever.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I remember when I was young my friend had a game for sega that was an rpg. I never got to control the guy, I'd just watch and give stupid advice. I can't remember the name (I've looked online over the years and couldn't find a game that looked like it). All I remember is you controlled a character and leveled up, and it must have been hard because my friend threw his controller a lot. It was typical real-time move around/turn based combat stuff. I can recall one creature: it was a snake made of fire with a dragon's head that would slither back and forth until you engaged it.

Soon after that I rented (and later bought) the SNES game Inindo. I'm pretty sure that was the first RPG I ever played on my own. Great game, like most Koei games way ahead of it's time for Western audiences.

Modern type RPGs? Definitely Baldur's Gate.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Final Fantasy... I played it at some Nintendo trade show that my dad took me to, before it was released in the US. it had a playable demo where you could play everything up to defeating the first boss, and it totally hooked me into the genre.

in high school, my friends got me into playing MUD's. during my senior year, I graduated from MUD's to Everquest.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
My first RPG was Dragon Warrior on the NES. That hooked me, and the Dragon Warrior series remained my favorite RPG series until they stopped making them.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I played Dragon Warrior on the NES as my first I think. I didn't like it. Not really until Baldur's Gate on PC and the PS1 RPGs did I finally get into them.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
System Shock, Deus Ex though are they considered a true RPG? Anyway, did did not get into RPG's untill Mass Effect, Witcher 1 and 2 and am now playing Oblivian.

Wife of Runz

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Dragon Warrior, Nintendo had a promotion where you got it free with a Nintendo Power subscription.

My buddy and I got it, and man we had a blast.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai were my first. Far, far, far older than NES/SNES/etc.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
either FF1 or Dragon Warrior 1 on NES. can't remember that far back :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dragon Warrior 1 on nes. Yes I'm old.

same. then FF 1. if Heroes Quest/King's Quest/Space Quest count, then those were all around the same time...I guess these are more adventure games, but Heroes Quest was closer to RPG elements.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Why so? Just cause it doesn't say "Level 5 Warrior" doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

Though the one mark against them is that Zelda games are incredibly linear, with no real player choice or dialogue options. In that sense they are just like Call of Duty. ;)

Zelda really isn't an RPG. But that doesn't make it a bad game. It's an action adventure, there's nothing bad about it.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai were my first. Far, far, far older than NES/SNES/etc.

Ooh... I thought for sure it was going to Ultima3 for me on the Atari 800. But, it very well might have been Temple of Apshai...

Once I played Alternate Reality on the Atari and Commodore, I was hooked for life.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Ooh... I thought for sure it was going to Ultima3 for me on the Atari 800. But, it very well might have been Temple of Apshai...

Once I played Alternate Reality on the Atari and Commodore, I was hooked for life.

Yeah, I played those (Apshai) as well. I'm not sure they are really RPGs though. They played more as rogue-like games to me.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It was definitely on an Apple II+ and was one of the party of 6, turn-based "classic" RPGs. I can't remember whether it was Wizardry I, the Bard's Tale or one of the gold box AD&D games like Pool of Radiance. Probably Wizardry.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Probably Dragon Warrior for me as well. Though I think what really got me into it was Betrayal at Krondor on PC.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Wow, you all are youngins.

For me it was Ultima 1.

I loved it because I could steal stuff from shops (never purchased a thing) and eventually enter space and kill tie fighters.