What was your first RPG game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
The very first RPG I ever played was called TaskMaker. It was a Mac shareware game that I downloaded from AOL sometime in the mid 90s. I only have fuzzy memories of it, though.

I played much more of Escape Velocity (another Mac shareware game) It was space trading game similar to Elite or Freelancer but in a top-down perspective. Not sure if it's really considered an RPG although you do get side missions and story missions and upgrade your ship and gear, you just don't "level up" or anything.

I also got the original Fallout and eventually Fallout 2. Both came out for Mac at the same time as for Windows so they were some of the few games I had access to.

I've never really enjoyed medieval fantasy RPGs that much though. Maybe that's why I liked Fallout so much. I've played all the games in the series a ton.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I have no idea. I think it was one of the following:

Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Diablo (if you count it)

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Dragon Warrior for the NES. Received it for free with my Nintendo Power subscription and from then on I was hooked on RPG's.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
Ultima III on the C64.

I remember more about that map and aspects of the game than any other game since.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Bard's Tale. Played the crap out of that game.

First one on consoles was Phantasy Star II. Good lord did I love that game.

KT

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Tunnels of Doom TI/94a

images

images

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Zelda isn't really an RPG.

Why so? Just cause it doesn't say "Level 5 Warrior" doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

Though the one mark against them is that Zelda games are incredibly linear, with no real player choice or dialogue options. In that sense they are just like Call of Duty. ;)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hmmm good question, can't recall if it was the first ever RPG I've played but I'm pretty sure that The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past must have been one of the first. I know it's considered as an action-adventure game though, as most (if not all) other Zelda games are, but I've always thought of the franchise as a "role-playing" one.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
My first rpg was bard's tale on the commodore 64 but for some reason i could never get into it. A few years later in 85 i think, i got Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar and it got me hooked on the genre. Back in those days, getting the books, the trinkets, the cloth maps packaged with the game, all felt like being IN the game. it was amazing

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Phantasy Star, Sega Master System, I highly recommend it even today. Then there was Miracle Warriors, PS2. the glory days of RPGing. There was no community to question about how to beat the next boss. You had to bang your head against the wall until the next step became clear.

Or you got lost in one of the mazes and called 1-800-usa-sega and they sent you a xerox copy of the walkthrough. I heard that people may have done that sometimes.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Action RPG: The Legend of Zelda
JRPG: Final Fantasy 1
Text based: Tele-Arena
PC: Ultima 3