What video game did you play most as a child?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It depends on what age. I played a lot of Mario on NES, Double Dragon a ton, and a bit of Zelda. Later I started playing fighting games and Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat iterations were my go to titles. My friends and I would also play a lot of beat'em ups like Streets of Rage, Bad Dudes, Ninja Turtles etc.

Later as I got into high school I finally started playing RPG games and put a lot of time into Xenogears, Lunar etc. Then came FPS games and I played probably every FPS game of the mid to late 90s when I built my first PC.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
These were the games I played the most prior to my teenage years. All are on the NES. Some are series of games and I enjoyed them all on the venerable NES.

The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Final Fantasy
Castlevania series
Metal Gear
Mega Man series
Super Mario Bros series

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I was big into Commodore 64 (PC master race :p )
Ultima 3
Demon Stalkers
Magic Candle
Karateka
Pool of Radiance

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Same here or Ultima 4 Quest of the Avatar
There is a PC port that appeared to have the okay from Gariott. Worked on my windows 8 machine

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I stil haven't finished Ultima III

I got a cheat book for it (I was only 10). I was kind of unimpressed with it in the end, it was kind of mindless hack and slash.

The Magic Candle was very cool, had a lot more depth to it.

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I played most of the Blizzard games when I was a teen.

Later on in the 90s..
Sega Genesis
Romance of Three Kingdoms
Castlevania Bloodlines
Sonic the Hedgehog

thrushconclude

Oct 25, 2020
Game Boy: Pokemon
PS1: Tekken 3, Need For Speed, Klonoa.
PS2: Need For Speed Underground, Tony Hawk, Driver 3 (GTA was banned at home), Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo.
Xbox 360: Call of Duty 2, 3, 4, MW2, MW3... oh and Guitar Hero!

Current generation was kind of boring I think, or maybe I'm just growing old...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I am a 70's and early 80's kid. Growing up there was a pool hall with a ton of pinball and later, video games, less than a mile from my house. I left a lot of quarters in that place. They also had the best soda fountain ever. Since pinball does not really count, maybe Death Race or Night Driver would be the best answer.

MV5BMjY1NmYxYWEtMTIyMi00Yjk4LTkyMzAtN2M1ZDEzMTk2ZGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

DEATH_RACE_A__87829.1527995325.png

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
None because I wasn't allowed to play video games as a kid. Makes sense why I still enjoy them now at my age.

• Wow
Reactions: JPB

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Since this got bumped, I'll add mine.

In the arcade: Asteroids
At home: Combat and Chopper Command on the Atari 2600.

Does anyone else remember the glitch with the tanks in Combat where if you drove into the wall just right you'd get thrown to a different part of the playing field? I did that all the time to my siblings and friends to shoot them from behind :p

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Agent USA and Carmen Sandiego - C64

Menzoberranzan - PC

Sonic 1&2, Street Fighter II + variances, MK 1&2, Revenge of Shinobi - Sega Genesis
__________________________________________________________________________________
Below were no longer 'childhood' but post-secondary school.

FFVII + Tekken 2&3 - PS1

GoldenEye and Killer Instinct (Gold) - N64

Baldur's Gate II/Icewind Dale 1&2 - PC

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
Since I doubt I'll ever grow up, I still consider myself a child when it comes to gaming. But my first game that I played too much was Civilization (PC). And then that changed GR/RB6/SC/COD (Xbox).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Friends Atari: Pole Position, Frogger, some shooter I cannot recall by name.
NES: MANY games but I'm betting Final Fantasy got most of my play time.
SNES: Also many games but in the end I bet Final Fantasy 2 was the big winner.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
As a kid, maybe Herzog Zwei. Teenager, probably toss up between master of orion, xcom, diablo.

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
As a kid there really weren't any video games like we have today. Late 70's my Dad bought an Atari 2600 but it was for the grownups (I was told) and I only played it a little here and there when my Dad wasn't around. My Dad would play for an hour in the evenings and I could only watch because I would have to go to bed early.

As a kid I mainly played with toys and played outside with friends, sports, building tree houses, riding bikes etc. Then in the 80's I had the first Nintendo but I still spent more time outside and with friends so that eventually was sold so i could buy a Suzuki RM80. I really didn't get into video games until i was in my early to mid twenties.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I was big into Commodore 64 (PC master race :p )
Ultima 3
Demon Stalkers
Magic Candle
Karateka
Pool of Radiance
yea i loved pirates prob the most, then it was montazuma revenge, as grew older maybe chronotrigger / turrok / madden

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I played many Sierra and LucasArts games as a kid, including the obscure ones like Gold Rush. Won a copy of Secret of Monkey Island on CD through LucasArts' newsletter.

With that said, I probably poured most of my pre-adult gaming into Doom and Quake. I remember the sheer hype for both games and how they really did push technology forward. Seemingly everything was a Doom clone for a while!

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I played many Sierra and LucasArts games as a kid, including the obscure ones like Gold Rush. Won a copy of Secret of Monkey Island on CD through LucasArts' newsletter.

With that said, I probably poured most of my pre-adult gaming into Doom and Quake. I remember the sheer hype for both games and how they really did push technology forward. Seemingly everything was a Doom clone for a while!

My FPS of choice back then was the criminally underappreciated Marathon series. Kill the Man With the Ball (precursor to Halo's Oddball) and King of the Hill was massive fun compared to the melee only LAN gaming of Doom back in the day. A lot of the modern FPS multiplayer game modes was found in the Marathon series.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
My FPS of choice back then was the criminally underappreciated Marathon series. Kill the Man With the Ball (precursor to Halo's Oddball) and King of the Hill was massive fun compared to the melee only LAN gaming of Doom back in the day. A lot of the modern FPS multiplayer game modes was found in the Marathon series.

Oh, I remember pining for Marathon as a then Windows PC gamer... the series I couldn't have. The irony is that I'm now a Mac user but still haven't really touched the games. I do play a whole lot of Destiny 2, though, so Bungie is getting my support in some form.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I did have a Mac at home back in the day, but we mostly played in the school library, which had Macs, and a T1 line for fast downloads. Most homes didn't even have DSL at that time, so this was blazing speed.

Marathon has been ported to PC now. It's obviously a bit aged at this point.

Reactions: Commodus

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I remember I bought Marathon from Egghead Software back in the day. I was such a noob to computers as a whole and my mom got a Mac from her school because the school she worked for was all Macs and she got a crazy discount.

I went to install it and I somehow accidentally wiped one of the floppy disks and I couldn't install it. If I recall the game was 4 disks and when I put in the second disk during installation, I don't know what I did but I somehow wiped it. I remember whenever I inserted it after, the computer did what it does when you put a blank disk in.

Thankfully they took it back and I didn't tell them I did that, but I told them I couldn't install it and I didn't know why. I got a replacement one and didn't mess that up again lol.

I remember the packaging for it was pretty cool too.