What types of public transit does your city offer?

What types of transit does your city have?

• Bus

• Subway

• Train

• Monorail

• Ferry / Water taxi

• Street car

Results are only viewable after voting.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Which forms of public transit does your city offer?

Here in Vancouver we have busses and a monorail system. The monorail was built in the mid 80s for a world expo and has since been expanded on a couple of times. Part of it is actually now a subway.

We also have an extensive ferry system servicing the islands and a large water taxi connecting downtown with one of the suburbs, called the Seabus.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Crappy bus system.

However, up the road is the VRE and from there its an easy trip to the Metro.

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
We have a bus system that sucks, a train system that sucks, and a light rail/subway system that sucks. Everyone here has a car.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
we have a crap ton of busses and 1 troll, ert, light rail line. they're condeming right of way for a second line. a third line they told everyone was going to be on an old railroad right of way, and it was voted on that way, but the planning is for it to go down a very heavily trafficked and narrow street several blocks away on the other side of a major highway. the business owners along that street are super pissed about it.

speedy2

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2008
Side walks. But only the 2 block stretch of downtown. Other than that...nothing. Population - About 8,000 lol

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
No public transit in the town I live in. Closest major city (Salem) offers piss poor bus service that is unreliable at best and downright scary at worst. They recently had to shut down to main bus terminal because the building was built so poorly. If I couldn't drive anymore I'd move to Portland. The Max and Tri-met are fairly well run.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wyverns and zeppelins

This cracked me up. :D

They opened up some fancy-ass new line for the Olympics, but I've never been on it. Have not been on transit in years, I usually walk, drive, or take a cab.

KT

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Which forms of public transit does your city offer?

Here in Vancouver we have busses and a monorail system. The monorail was built in the mid 80s for a world expo and has since been expanded on a couple of times. Part of it is actually now a subway.

We also have an extensive ferry system servicing the islands and a large water taxi connecting downtown with one of the suburbs, called the Seabus.

Check your facts; it's not a monorail. It has 2 conventional rails and a third rail for power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Advanced_Rapid_Transit

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
No public transit in the town I live in. Closest major city (Salem) offers piss poor bus service that is unreliable at best and downright scary at worst. They recently had to shut down to main bus terminal because the building was built so poorly. If I couldn't drive anymore I'd move to Portland. The Max and Tri-met are fairly well run.

Yeah the Tri-met system is nice in Oregon. I have a friend that can't drive (eye issues) and that's the only place he found that would easily let him live in the city of Portland and commute to work in Hillsboro which is maybe a 15-20 minute drive out west. It also helps that Intel provides shuttle services from the Tri-met stop to the offices.

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
An excellent bus system, train, as a part of the Helsinki metropolitan area :p public transit system which also includes street car and subway but they don’t extend to where I live.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
denverflxiblemetro.jpg

DUS_with_bus_and_train.jpg

Bus & Lite Rail

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
If you exclude the university, most people living here wouldn't even realize we had one. Like most cities in the South, public transportation is a complete joke.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
50Km's of ART for Vancouver? I'm guessing the system goes into surrounding towns?

Cities, actually, but yes. The system currently services parts of Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New Westminster and Surrey. Expansions are planned for further into Surrey, into Coquitlam, and out to UBC.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
My town has a crappy bus system that goes nowhere. There's also a commuter train and inter-city buses.

Toronto has subways and streetcars. Both of which are expensive and unreliable.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Bus, subway, light rail, and trolley. All are under SEPTA, except for the trains to NJ which are PATCO.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
NY metro area = bus, train, subway, ferry

years and years ago, I had an insane commute where I had to take a bus, subway, and 2 ferries to get to work.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
We have about 10 bus stops with busses that come every 2 hours, and a train that goes to San Francisco.