"What to give up for Lent? Pope Francis wants you to stop being an internet troll"

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...quit-being-online-troll-lent-2020/4886069002/
Pope Francis is urging Catholics on Ash Wednesday to give up something for Lent that they may have a very hard time doing without: being a jerk on the internet.
We regret to inform you, Anandtech will be forced to shut down P&N during the 40 day period.

Thanks for your understanding. :p

oiS7KofDpqB-k5UbfmLAlgxPzHF8J5V4MrROw_5tkVk.jpg

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Pope Francis is urging Catholics on Ash Wednesday to give up something for Lent that they may have a very hard time doing without: being a jerk on the internet.

I'm asking the Catholic Church on Ash Wednesday to give up something for Lent that they may have a very hard time doing without: molesting little boys.

Francis needs to pull his head out of his rectory and identify the actual problems in the world.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like to be a little more subtle. I'll walk by a table, stop, and ask "Are you really gonna eat all of that?!", then shake my head and walk away.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Oh, for sure.

Just use all that extra energy in order to be a super-dick to people you come in contact with.

Examples: See a fat person eating?

giphy.gif

Phew! I was worried there for a minute!

And great scene from the Stephen King movie "Stand by me" aka: "The Body" from the book Different Seasons.

As I recall Lard-Ass got the last laugh!

*(If you've only seen the move I highly recommend reading the book ... actually its 4 short novels in one volume and includes the equally awesome/disturbing "Apt Pupil")

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
speaking of lent I found this to be something everyone could do if they so choose --
Then again nobody has to do anything for Lent if they so chose.....
87456616_10157865012089774_3538030493205266432_n.jpg

Reactions: Captante

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
speaking of lent I found this to be something everyone could do if they so choose --
Then again nobody has to do anything for Lent if they so chose.....
View attachment 17571

Fast from being a delicate snowflake and realize words don't hurt.
Fast from psych 101 bullshit and understand that dealing with sadness is a necessary part of life and far healthier than suppressing it.
Fast from the impossible and channel your anger in a healthy way, like revenge.
Fast from empty hope because it never accomplished anything. Action works.
Fast from fairy tales and believe in yourself because that invisible man has never done jack shit for anyone.
Fast from psych 201 bullshit and laugh at the idea that "contemplate simplicity" could be a solution to anything.
Fast from the belief that prayers have any more power than wishes on a falling star and focus on solving whatever problems are causing the pressure.
Fast from the type of advice you get from bad greeting cards and realize that you can no more "fill your heart with joy" by choosing to than you can repair a blown engine in a car by saying "there! all fixed!!".
Fast from the naive belief that anyone is truly selfless and see the reality that a lot of what passes for compassion is done for selfish reasons.
Fast from the idiotic notion that the person you hold a grudge against even wants to reconcile.
Fast from silence and shout from the rooftops when you see your own employees molesting kids.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Fast from being a delicate snowflake and realize words don't hurt.
Fast from psych 101 bullshit and understand that dealing with sadness is a necessary part of life and far healthier than suppressing it.
Fast from the impossible and channel your anger in a healthy way, like revenge.
Fast from empty hope because it never accomplished anything. Action works.
Fast from fairy tales and believe in yourself because that invisible man has never done jack shit for anyone.
Fast from psych 201 bullshit and laugh at the idea that "contemplate simplicity" could be a solution to anything.
Fast from the belief that prayers have any more power than wishes on a falling star and focus on solving whatever problems are causing the pressure.
Fast from the type of advice you get from bad greeting cards and realize that you can no more "fill your heart with joy" by choosing to than you can repair a blown engine in a car by saying "there! all fixed!!".
Fast from the naive belief that anyone is truly selfless and see the reality that a lot of what passes for compassion is done for selfish reasons.
Fast from the idiotic notion that the person you hold a grudge against even wants to reconcile.
Fast from silence and shout from the rooftops when you see your own employees molesting kids.

Feeling a bit cynical are we? :rolleyes:

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Feeling a bit cynical are we? :rolleyes:

Call it whatever you like. I call it being sick of seeing the leader of an organization that causes a whole shitload of serious problems in the world engage in preaching to other people about what THEY need to do differently.

Fast from casting stones and get your own house in order Francis.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Call it whatever you like. I call it being sick of seeing the leader of an organization that causes a whole shitload of serious problems in the world engage in preaching to other people about what THEY need to do differently.

Fast from casting stones and get your own house in order Francis.

Oh the Catholic church (and the majority of Catholics for that matter) are one of the biggest bunch's of hypocrites around.

Its just that while I lol'ed at the first 3-4 on your list it seemed like you slipped off the rails a little towards the end there!

Reactions: KMFJD

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Oh the Catholic church (and the majority of Catholics for that matter) are one of the biggest bunch's of hypocrites around.

Its just that while I lol'ed at the first 3-4 on your list it seemed like you slipped off the rails a little towards the end there!

Ahhh, so it's a matter of style. In my own defense I was working with the material Francis provided and it was pretty weak. Most of the shit amounted to little more than the type of "turn that frown upside down" platitudes normally found on office motivational posters with pictures of cats. As it grew repetitive and banal, perforce so did I.

Let's see if we can "contemplate simplicity" here.

Fast from empty, meaningless words telling other people how to fix what they're doing wrong when you're the head of one of the most corrupt, evil organizations ever to infect the planet and WORK on fixing the problems that you're the cause of.

It's that simple Francis, talk is cheap. Learn something from Gandhi and be the change you want to see in the world.

Reactions: Captante

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not a religious person at all, but I also don't feel the need to ridicule those who do.

There's a lot of things, with many different cultures, that make zero sense. However, if something is important to someone, but I think it might be a little on the "silly" or "not likely" side, I don't feel the need to take a huge shit on it in an effort to put them down.

Of course there are people in every aspect of life that take their beliefs and tries to shove them down people's throats, but not every one of them do that sort thing. In fact, most are decent human beings.

Reactions: JEDIYoda and KMFJD

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Ya know, I can see both sides of it. I've had a lot of unsolicited religion thrown at me over the years. If it sometimes get turned around, they'll just have to deal with it, even the people that aren't so bad about it. No belief has to be respected because it's their belief. That's nonsense. Acknowledgment is all that's required.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ya know, I can see both sides of it. I've had a lot of unsolicited religion thrown at me over the years. If it sometimes get turned around, they'll just have to deal with it, even the people that aren't so bad about it. No belief has to be respected because it's their belief. That's nonsense. Acknowledgment is all that's required.
Do I have to believe what they do? Nope.

Do I need to go out of my way to shit on their beliefs? Nope.

There are a lot of groups out there. Just a few on the larger ones out there Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhism, etc. I personally don't feel the need to go online and mock their beliefs. Most of them are good people, while all of them contain a few assholes who ruin it for others. Just like what happens with people who don't believe in anything else in life......other than being a big asshole to others for no reason. :p

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
speak for yourself......that has nothing to do with what was posted above,,,,your sick dude!!
get yourself some help before it is too late....
youre right it has nothing to do with what you posted since i did not reply to you. but the fact that you took offense anyway speaks volumes. good luck with that.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Ahhh, so it's a matter of style. In my own defense I was working with the material Francis provided and it was pretty weak. Most of the shit amounted to little more than the type of "turn that frown upside down" platitudes normally found on office motivational posters with pictures of cats. As it grew repetitive and banal, perforce so did I.

Let's see if we can "contemplate simplicity" here.

Fast from empty, meaningless words telling other people how to fix what they're doing wrong when you're the head of one of the most corrupt, evil organizations ever to infect the planet and WORK on fixing the problems that you're the cause of.

It's that simple Francis, talk is cheap. Learn something from Gandhi and be the change you want to see in the world.

I'll send my hopes and prayers! ;)