What to expect after BF Vietnam?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Hopefully they'll do WWI, although Dice kinda already covered it with Codename Eagle (the not-so-well-known prequel to BF1942).

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
Heh, they need to seriously work on that game engine and get some real physics. I hate it when I speeding in my jeep and hit the slightest bump and explode. Fscking lame.

BF: Vietnam is a new engine.
And I think some of the problem was simply in the damage settings, not the engine physics. Otherwise, I don't see how the DC team was able to pretty much get rid of that problem for the humvees.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Shanti
Heh, they need to seriously work on that game engine and get some real physics. I hate it when I speeding in my jeep and hit the slightest bump and explode. Fscking lame.

And I think some of the problem was simply in the damage settings, not the engine physics. Otherwise, I don't see how the DC team was able to pretty much get rid of that problem for the humvees.

BF: Vietnam is AN UPDATED engine.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003

Agreed. Nothing more frustrating than walking halfway across the map in gazala and taking a tiny 6 foot fall and DYING.

davew0670

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2003
Battlfield France
rolleye.gif

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I cannot wait for BF Vietnam. I am only hoping some of the crazy problems I experienced with BF1942 do not recur or even worse problems appear. I am sure we are due a long line of patches, however just like '42.
The videos get my hyped everytime I watch them. I am going to try to bring down a Huey with my RPG like they show being done. ;) Flyboys beware :D

Blah..forgot to answer the original question but I think Staley8's response below hit it on the nose with maps of different hotspots around the globe we've been involved in. That would open up a wide variety of weaponry, tactics and orginal maps to play.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
As mentioned I would like to see one of hte following:

1. Modern Battlefield. Simliar to DC but different locations the US has been involved in. Mogadeeshu, Granada, Panama, Iraqx2, etc.
2. Future Battlefield. Nothing stupid like spaceships and laser guns. It would be more like a war after a nuclear fallout / EMP blast (as someone else mentioned). Using many of todays machines and guns but in modern/half-destroyed cities. Everyone would have to wear black leather and fingerless gloves too.

I like #2 idea better

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Originally posted by: Shanti

BF: Vietnam is AN UPDATED engine.

That's what I meant.
In reality, very few "new" engines are really new.
The only question is how much of the engine did they rewrite.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I want to see battlefield 2042. WW3 - lasers, plasma guns, hovercrafts, teleporting, nukes, emp's you name it...

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Shanti I look forward to blowing your Huey out of the sky very soon....so very soon.... :p

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
it would also be cool if they made a star wars game based on a bf1942 type idea

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Battlefield: India-Pakistan

Battlefield: Gaza strip

Battlefield: Los Angeles South-Central (fet. Snoop)

Battlefield: Black Friday (for all those yearning hand-to-hand combat)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Battlefield: Fallout

Never going to happen, but it would be an awesome game/mod. For the various kits you could have the different races. Eg., for a heavy infantry soldier (ala DC) you could have super mutants with a browning or a gatling. A ghoul could make a great sniper &/or engineer (w/ plasma rifle, sweet.:D.) A human could be the reg infantry/ medic classes, armed with smaller SMG/ auto shotguns. Instead of a crappy knife you could have a power fist (or even a cattle prod :p !) Make a BoS heavily-armoured, and give him a RPG and a small energy pistol to be the anti-tank class.

You couldn't quite do the huge array of vehicles, but you could have power armor suits replace tanks. The weakness to the super mutants is that they couldn't get in the power armor. The '57 chevy would be obligitory. Im sure the BoS had some other cool stuff you could find to drive/fly.

Yes, I have thought about this alot, why do you ask? :p

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
Battlefield: Black Hawk Down :p

Battlefield: Wild west

Battlefield: 3000

Battlefield: Samurai

Battlefield: Battlements (castles and sh1t)

robh23

Banned
Jan 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Bootprint
BF 7 days war, or BF Guerilla War.

I don't think BF falkland Islands would work.

not enough battles in those, although maybe you could do it with the falklands - a good but kicking as is required but unfortunately it was a non-us gig, so it makes it an unlikely contender in the end.

you could do BF Butt F***ed - America's War on Terror. Although it means there wouldnt be more sequels

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Does anyone know if sams will be guided in BF vietnam? I mean, it takes skill, but it sucks to fire the anti air rockets in DC.

SandInMyShoes

Apr 19, 2002
BF: Civil War or BF: Dark Ages would be cool. And there were prototype muskets and stuff being used in the dark ages. Between horses, prototype small arms, and stringed weapons, it'd be cool.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: steveeast112
Battlefield Opium War. Be the British trying to get all of China on drugs!

Oooh! I wanna play medic! :D :evil: