What things can Intel, AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft do to make PC desktop better?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
For the low profile discrete video card market, I would like to see AMD release a much faster card in the 30W to 40W range.

The current 30W card (the R7 240) only has 320sp @ 720Mhz/780Mhz with 128 bit DDR3.

With so many capable SFF Pre-builts made by HP, Lenovo and Dell floating around out there I think a much better card is warranted now.

For a 40W card from AMD, I think something like a Bonaire GPU at 896sp at 500 Mhz with 128 bit underclocked GDDR5 would get the job done.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For years the file interface for Microsoft has been based on the old DOS file system at it's core. Maybe that would be a good place to start.

I thought this was one of the Things Microsoft said they would do when they developed Win 7 but they failed to come through on that promise.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Lower cost Mini-ITX FM2+ boards than I am currently seeing on listed on Newegg (Reason: For a processor with integrated iGPU it makes more sense to use SFF than uATX or larger)

A good price would be $39.99 or less.

It might be a reduced cost $29.99 or less 65W FM2+ Mini-ITX also makes sense. (In fact, ECS made this H61 Mini-ITX board with a 77W limit* (rather than the typical 95W limit), so maybe they can do some kind of reduced cost/reduced TDP Mini-ITX board for FM2+ as well).

*Newegg actually listed the board as having a 65W limit --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135359

Newegg ECS H61H2-I5 (V1.0) product listing said:
Up to 65W Thermal Design Power support

P.S. For a 65W Mini-ITX board, the 95W APUs (with 65W cTDP down capability) like the A8-7650K should be made compatible.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I was very happy to read that Core M compute stick would have a 64GB SATA SSD. I am assuming this is M.2 form factor.

compute-stick-roadmap-680x383.jpg

So if Intel releases a 4.5W (core based) Celeron Compute stick, I would hope they would keep the M.2 slot.

Maybe even release a FFRD to OEMs? Then let them differentiate on cooling and SSD.

This particularly as I am expecting DRAM-less SSD controllers like the Phison S11 to help further reduce the gap between SSD and eMMC (which is not replaceable) in terms of cost.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Regarding the Core M Compute sticks, I do hope Intel develops a lapdock for them. Something thin and light with enough internal room to install the compute stick (powered through the HDMI port via MHL).

In this way a person could convert their Windows Pro Compute stick from business desktop to business lapdock and vice versa.

As far as operating systems go, if the chip is a core m3, m5 or m7 I would think any sold with Windows 10 Pro should also have Windows 7 Pro downgrade rights.

dealcorn

May 28, 2011
As far as operating systems go, if the chip is a core m3, m5 or m7 I would think any sold with Windows 10 Pro should also have Windows 7 Pro downgrade rights.

Generally, Microsoft has done an OK job of retaining it's desktop dominance, so so at slowing the advance of Linux in the server space, and almost failed to meaningfully penetrate ultra mobile markets where the growth opportunity resides. As a two part strategic response to access the mobile opportunity, Microsoft is attempting to (1) unify it's development environment with a write once, run everywhere strategy, and (2) provide free upgrades to Windows 10 to consolidate it's user base and make it more attractive to all and especially mobile developers. Free downgrades to Windows 7 is unlikely because it works against Microsoft's strategy. Free downgrades to Windows 7 does nothing to deter Chrome or Linux on the desktop so there is zero desktop revenue opportunity. If you want Windows 7 Pro, license it.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Free downgrades to Windows 7 is unlikely because it works against Microsoft's strategy. Free downgrades to Windows 7 does nothing to deter Chrome or Linux on the desktop so there is zero desktop revenue opportunity. If you want Windows 7 Pro, license it.

Microsoft does have Windows 7 Pro downgrade rights built into Windows 10 Pro:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=lzep_ksFZmy

However, as I understand the situation it is up to the OEM to have the Windows 7 drivers.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Intel and Microsoft are interested in maximizing the part of the BOM that goes to them. That happens when they convince you to settle for a piece of crap where majority of the money is in the CPU and the OS, and everything else is bargain basement crap that ruins the experience.