What single thing do you hate most in video games?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
488756.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm tempted to say QTEs or mandatory stealth missions, but it's gotta be checkpoint saves. Specifically, checkpoint saves which come right before an unskippable cut scene. If you want to make a movie, go make a freakin' movie outside of my game.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
QTE's are up there, but not being able to bind keys or limited hotkeys is at the top of my list. I have 10 number keys on my keyboard, don't artificially limit me to 5.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I was going to say QTEs and time-constrained missions but I realise I can tolerate them enough to finish the games.

What has made me drop games historically are: repetitive/mindless shooting missions with boring/flat storyline. I dropped Rage, Max Payne 3 and Borderland 2 for this reason.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
The noobness in recent games; perks, no recoil guns, hand holding in quests, etc. In the old days I walked in 10ft of snow in most games. :p

Also the carrot-on-a-stick progression that's in just about every game now.

You mean the majority of FPS nowadays? I cant think of 1 where you can't see your feet.
Planetside 2?

Last edited:

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I've come to really dislike the console-style save-points. Even games that are not out on console (like TVO Ethan Carter) have them now. It makes me not want to play the game. Recently I stopped playing Alien Isolation because of the irritation of save-points.

Just let me save my game whenever I want. It's not like this is high-tech or requires rocket-science. We had it in all games 15-20 years ago.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Even when its not p2w, and actually f2p, its horrible. Its a scam to milk as much money as possible out of your dedicated players. If you play even a moderate amount you'll probably pay what the title was worth on the open market and the mechanics have to the deliberately grindy to encourage people to spend money.

It's funny, this was the topic of last night's South Park episode :D They included a comparison to the craft beer & wine craze, brilliant!

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
It's funny, this was the topic of last night's South Park episode :D They included a comparison to the craft beer & wine craze, brilliant!

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not drinking, it's called tasting and it's classy.

Drink Responsibly.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Getting stuck and not knowing what I'm supposed to do/where I'm supposed to go next. I just wanna get on with the game, not agonize and waste time and not have fun. If it's a puzzle type situation, game should prompt you (with the option to turn this off) with a hint. I don't wanna putz around on the internet to download some verbose 60 page FAQ where I'm not quite sure where I am supposed to be looking because it's so long, nor do I want to then have to look at youtube clips because instructions on what to do were vague or unclear or simply omitted.

Other things: overly loud sound effects to music volume ratio (or most sound effects may be mixed correctly but a few - usually a chain gun or grenade, are much much louder than others), overly difficult bosses (Gears of War and Lunar Silver Star Story's final bosses come to mind or 1st boss in Deus Ex: HR), and overly complicated controls (and on a similar note, I wish it was much more popular and possible to use ambidextrous flight stick for left hand and mouse for the right hand to control your character and cut out the keyboard completely. F.E.A.R. and Unreal Tournament for example can do this)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Getting stuck and not knowing what I'm supposed to do/where I'm supposed to go next. I just wanna get on with the game, not agonize and waste time and not have fun. If it's a puzzle type situation, game should prompt you (with the option to turn this off) with a hint. I don't wanna putz around on the internet to download some verbose 60 page FAQ where I'm not quite sure where I am supposed to be looking because it's so long, nor do I want to then have to look at youtube clips because instructions on what to do were vague or unclear or simply omitted.

You bring up a good point, I hate games where learning the interface is supposedly part of the gaming value. It's not fun, it's not entertaining and, it's definitely not "intuitive."