What Should President Obama Focus on in his Second Term?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What Should President Obama Focus on in his Second Term?

• Immigration

• Gun Control

• Creating Jobs

• Afghanistan

• Iran

• Entitlement Reform

• Health Care

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Wait a sec... if Obama should immolate himself and he also screws up everything he touches, neither of you are going to get what you want.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Wait a sec... if Obama should immolate himself and he also screws up everything he touches, neither of you are going to get what you want.

Hmm... That makes sense in a strict logical sense. What if he doesn't self immolate? Would he spontaneously combust?

I have an enquiring mind and I want to know.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What he does best. Spending money, war mongering, and crushing civil liberties at home.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm not getting what I want right now. I'm working for a living and I'm paying for my own damned phone.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I'm not getting what I want right now. I'm working for a living and I'm paying for my own damned phone.

No one is. Even those who don't work and don't pay for their cell phone want more money and a better phone.

Nov 30, 2006
Obama should focus on raising our taxes. We simple folk have had it too good the last 4 years.
Yes...the more taxes, the better. But don't forget that we need to stimulate the economy much more as well...the more spending, the better as well.

And those who think this strategy will not end well are fools! /s

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What he does best. Spending money, war mongering, and crushing civil liberties at home.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It is my opinion that we need a major reform of how issues are legislated. If I had my 'druthers I'd have all significant acts reviewed by experts much the same way as I advocate for healthcare. For example it seems that just tossing money into stimulus packages does not address a core issue, perhaps THE economic issue, and that is how to effect changes such that industry returns to the US, providing for good paying middle class jobs with long term stability. That would require a combination of carrots and sticks that were well thought out. If a company was making a major investment with the result being employment as I've described give them a huge break on taxes. We aren't going to get anywhere by taxing the rich except for punishment. The way to have good economy is to have good jobs which in turn reduce the need for government programs and hence expenditures, as well as increasing revenues.

No partisan hack spending a fraction of the time could do what dedicated professionals can over many months. A package can be sent to Congress in whole or piecemeal and the package given an up or down vote. The latter controls the purse strings and ultimate what laws and regulations are passed, and the pros don't worry about what group to pander to or how to get reelected or satisfy the partisans. They get to do the best possible job.

Seems like a win, but the hacks will never allow it.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
If this is a serious thread I would say entitlement reform. Future projections are scary as fuck. Fuck jobs, war and immigration. Government can't create jobs, war does nothing positive and immigration honestly is not a huge front line issue.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Obama should focus on raising our taxes. We simple folk have had it too good the last 4 years.
This is true to a large extent. Raise taxes to cover deficits and Americans will develop a sudden lust for spending cuts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If this is a serious thread I would say entitlement reform. Future projections are scary as fuck. Fuck jobs, war and immigration. Government can't create jobs, war does nothing positive and immigration honestly is not a huge front line issue.

Of course government can create jobs. Where did this myth come from?

Obama should concentrate on further expanding health care reform as well as ramping up infrastructure spending more.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I voted healthcare because right now the costs are growing out of control. My health insurance cost has literally doubled from what it was 6 years ago and I'm not getting any more benefit from it.

It reminds me of when the costs for electricity were suddenly going up and up on the west coast, years ago, and they were saying demand was too high. Then it turned out that Enron was behind the entire thing, shutting down powerplants to purposefully cause blackouts so that they could raise the cost.

There are players in the healthcare market defrauding the system, there are insurance companies middle-manning the entire process and soaking up money, and there are malpractice lawsuits that are out of control. There needs to be some sanity introduced into the system ASAP.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Today, President Obama will give his State of the Union Address where he will outline his agenda for the next four years. What do you believe the president should focus on in his second term?

What obama needs to focus on to fix the economy is fair and balanced trade.

This lop-sided trade imbalance we have with china has destroyed the middle class.

Of course government can create jobs. Where did this myth come from?

Obama should concentrate on further expanding health care reform as well as ramping up infrastructure spending more.

The US government is 16 trillion in debt, but we are somehow supposed to come up with money for infrastructure?

Nov 30, 2006
The US government is 16 trillion in debt, but we are somehow supposed to come up with money for infrastructure?
Don't worry...Paul Krugman thinks we should be spending our asses off right now with reckless disregard for future consequences. Hopefully, with a little luck, a Republican will be in office to take the heat when the shit starts hitting the fan. /s

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Don't worry...Paul Krugman thinks we should be spending our asses off right now with reckless disregard for future consequences. Hopefully, with a little luck, a Republican will be in office to take the heat when the shit starts hitting the fan. /s

It must drive you nuts that he keeps being proven right during this economic crisis. It is sad that you would rather cling to your ideology than follow what the evidence tells us.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

It must drive you nuts that he keeps being proven right during this economic crisis. It is sad that you would rather cling to your ideology than follow what the evidence tells us.

Sooner or later we will have to pay back that debt.

The U.S. is broke, our factories have been sent to china, we print money with nothing to back it up,,,, and somehow this cycle is suppose to last forever?

The governments policy of tax and spend to support the economy can not last forever.

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
Today, President Obama will give his State of the Union Address where he will outline his agenda for the next four years. What do you believe the president should focus on in his second term?

He should focus on packing up all his shit and getting the hell out of the White House at the end of this final term in office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sooner or later we will have to pay back that debt.

The U.S. is broke, our factories have been sent to china, we print money with nothing to back it up,,,, and somehow this cycle is suppose to last forever?

The governments policy of tax and spend to support the economy can not last forever.

Who ever wanted it to last forever? The question is what we should do NOW, and that answer is run up more debt. When the economy improves you pay it down.

The US was far more indebted after world war 2 than it is today, what part of the following years had us paying the piper, so to speak?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Who ever wanted it to last forever? The question is what we should do NOW, and that answer is run up more debt. When the economy improves you pay it down.

The US was far more indebted after world war 2 than it is today, what part of the following years had us paying the piper, so to speak?

The US govt also had far less obligations post WWII and a responsibly thinking political system with regards to paying debt. Can you honestly say with a straight face any of this debt will be repaid once the economy rebounds?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You think that it is not an important issue?

All else considered, even if every bit of it is true - the United States is not in control of where CO2 goes from here. Only effective policy you could have is a nuclear strike on developing nations, like China.