What route should I go for smart lights?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I want to get some lights I can control via Google Home/Echo/phone app ect that will allow be to change the brightness, I was going to get Phillips Hue but not sure if that is the best option.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have Hue (the 2nd gen, not the 3rd gen that's out now) and like it. In a sense, it's the Microsoft Office of smart lights: you know everything supports it because it's so ubiquitous.

There are definitely alternatives that will work, but I'll say this: I like my Hue bulbs. It's fun to occasionally turn my lights fuchsia, and it's helpful at night since I can set a yellow/orange tinge to make them easier on my eyes.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Do all versions of these lights let you change the color as well?

The 'full' Hue lights offer color changing. You can also get less expensive bulbs that are basically shades of white (you can add a yellow/orange tint, but not turn it blue or something). In short: be careful which ones you get, but you can save money if you don't need color-changing bulbs.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I am really only wanting the ability to turn them on/off and change the brightness/temperature. Would the second gen be good enough for me?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I am really only wanting the ability to turn them on/off and change the brightness/temperature. Would the second gen be good enough for me?

Definitely. Alternately, the Hue White Ambience kit would do the job as well.