What piece of technology have you purchased that you absolutely do not use?

Apr 20, 2008
I try to use everything that I buy and sell or gift away things that I do not. I cannot for the life of me encourage myself to use my Kindle after my first few weeks of owning it. I've had it for a couple years now. I also cannot seem to part with it.

What's your piece of tech you don't seem to use?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i bought an oculus rift and it makes me dizzy, so i don't use it very often

also 17 years ago i got a palm pilot for a gift and never really used it

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I try to use everything that I buy and sell or gift away things that I do not. I cannot for the life of me encourage myself to use my Kindle after my first few weeks of owning it. I've had it for a couple years now. I also cannot seem to part with it.

Ditto. I used to read a ton of books when I was younger. Now my attention span has been whittled down to short form writing only. Which is a shame. I too cannot part with my kindle. In fact even though I rarely read the Kindle paperwhite I gave it to my GF and got the Oasis just to have the latest and I still dont use it. It's bizarre. I use everything else, though my desktop usage is dwindling now that I don't game.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I got a Palm Pilot for college. I disliked it so much I wrote an organizer system for my HP48 instead.

Reactions: lxskllr

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
i bought an oculus rift and it makes me dizzy, so i don't use it very often

also 17 years ago i got a palm pilot for a gift and never really used it
I have a pair of the Samsung VR headsets than never get used.

Jun 18, 2000
Anova immersion circulator for sous vide cooking. I asked for one for Christmas, the fancy wifi model no less. I've used it twice in the 2 years I've had it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I don't use my Threadripper system very much, primarily because of being busy with work and not wanting to do tech stuff at home. I also have a little hate in my heart for it because it was such a pain to get it set up.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

What's your piece of tech you don't seem to use?

i agree with the Kindle. i got one used it for a bit but i just dont like reading ebooks. gimme the real thing and im good.

and the Ipod. to put music on one was such a pain in the ass.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Same. I tried to go paperless awhile ago. Paperless for stuff like snailmail is great (scan & shred), but for books, not so much. Paper is still superior for reading novels imo. I thought about trying out the new Kindle Oasis, but...meh.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Just this weekend I rediscovered a never opened pair of ActionTec MOCA 1.1 adapters that I bought back in 2013. I was surprised to find that the exact same adapters are still being sold today.

I'm testing them out right now to see if I should use MOCA to set up a wireless access point on the other end of my house to improve coverage, and perhaps to provide wired ethernet to this desktop that I am using right now. Waiting to see if and/or how badly my use of MOCA will interfere with the use Xfinity makes of it for their X1 service.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Anova immersion circulator for sous vide cooking. I asked for one for Christmas, the fancy wifi model no less. I've used it twice in the 2 years I've had it.

My wife wants me to get one of these so badly and I keep putting her off. I know we'd use it once, then never again. It requires too much forethought and planning :)

For me...I guess it is video games. I have consoles and games I bought that I never touched. The last thing I can think of besides that was a guitar that I traded for and had it for 8-9 years before I finally picked it up and tried learning it.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Gaming consoles... Have a Ps3, Ps4, PsVita and between the 3 I may have put in 100 hours over 5-6 years.
Stereo... spent ~4000$ or so on my stereo, might have 200-300 hours of use over 20 years.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I bought a Blackberry Playbook when it went on sale. Did not really need a tablet but thought it would be cool, it was also my first smart device so I liked the idea of a portable device with wifi to use around the house. Downside is it lacked apps, and the wifi on it was really screwy. It would just die, and the only way to get it going again was to reload the OS. So other than the first couple months it sat in a drawer until the battery died completely. It locked up and I could not turn it off so I just let it die. Pretty sure even the BMS portion was locked up so it literally killed the battery flat.

I probably have other stuff I rarely use, but this one is probably the biggest one where it was really a waste. Thankfully I had not paid all that much though, like $200-$300.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I bought a miracast adapter for my TV for $50 but I've only used it 3 times in the past couple years.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I bought a Blackberry Playbook when it went on sale. Did not really need a tablet but thought it would be cool, it was also my first smart device so I liked the idea of a portable device with wifi to use around the house. Downside is it lacked apps, and the wifi on it was really screwy. It would just die, and the only way to get it going again was to reload the OS. So other than the first couple months it sat in a drawer until the battery died completely. It locked up and I could not turn it off so I just let it die. Pretty sure even the BMS portion was locked up so it literally killed the battery flat.

I probably have other stuff I rarely use, but this one is probably the biggest one where it was really a waste. Thankfully I had not paid all that much though, like $200-$300.

You could load cyanogenmod on it

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
What is os/2 warp for windows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#1994.E2.80.931996:_The_.22Warp.22_years

It was released in two versions: the less expensive "Red Spine" and the more expensive "Blue Spine" (named for the color of their boxes). "Red Spine" was designed to support Microsoft Windows applications by utilizing any existing installation of Windows on the computer's hard drive. "Blue Spine" includes Windows support in its own installation, and so can support Windows applications without a Windows installation. As most computers were sold with Microsoft Windows pre-installed and the price was less, "Red Spine" was the more popular product.