What percentile are you in various areas?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: sponge008
I think many people are actually underestimating themselves, especially for intelligence. Think of how good Joe Sixpack is at calculus, endurance running, painting, and public speaking, to just use some examples. The bias would probably be from the selective nature of this forum's posters' peer groups: the median university graduate is rather smarter than the median working class laborer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_Syndrome
Dunning-Kruger Syndrome leads one to believe that the people on the low/middle end of a curve overestimate their position on the curve, and the people on the high end overestimate.

Intelligence is based on ability to learn, think, and reason.

Education does not affect intelligence.

sponge008

Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus
I think many people are actually underestimating themselves, especially for intelligence. Think of how good Joe Sixpack is at calculus, endurance running, painting, and public speaking, to just use some examples. The bias would probably be from the selective nature of this forum's posters' peer groups: the median university graduate is rather smarter than the median working class laborer.
Dunning-Kruger Syndrome leads one to believe that the people on the low/middle end of a curve overestimate their position on the curve, and the people on the high end overestimate.

However, intelligent people are drawn to education, hence a random sample of university graduates will be more intelligent on average than a random sample of those who stopped at secondary education.

Edit: But now that I think of it, there's less underestimation here than I thought at first.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
So it looks like the average ATOTer goes like this:

Intel - 95th
Athleticism - 70th
Artistic: - 20th
Social - 10th

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Intelligence - 80 (Got a few scores in school in the 98th percentile though)
Athleticism - 30
Artistic - 10
Social - 40

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: djheater
give me 2 d10 and I'll let you know.

Oh please...it's 4d6 discard the lowest die.

He asked for percentiles, not attribute scores, I suppose I could figure it out from stats, like do a conversion, but that's not what he asked for.

Btw - real men roll 3 and take what life gives them, stat whore.

;) :p

8-( I'm sorry, but our group was usually 4 or less...we needed the extra oomph to make up for a smaller party. ;)

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Special K
I think it's been demonstrated in several psychology studies that most people tend to think more highly of themselves than the reality of the situation. Ask a statistically significant sample of the population to rate their intelligence, and more than half of them will claim to be above the generally accepted median.

And yet intelligence is the one attribute asked about that can actually be statistically quantified and verified. For any of us who've actually been officially tested we can answer with certainty, not ego. Of course, most people have never taken a true intelligence test - just the bs online and/or extrapolation from academic test scores.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
intel 80
athleticism 50
artistic skill 30
social skill 50

be real people lol

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Acanthus

General public education, not much no. However you can train yourself up about 1sd. On top of a 1-2sd shift from upbringing and environment you have a potential shift of 3sd's from your genetic disposition. In theory anyway.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: Special K
I think it's been demonstrated in several psychology studies that most people tend to think more highly of themselves than the reality of the situation. Ask a statistically significant sample of the population to rate their intelligence, and more than half of them will claim to be above the generally accepted median.

And yet intelligence is the one attribute asked about that can actually be statistically quantified and verified. For any of us who've actually been officially tested we can answer with certainty, not ego. Of course, most people have never taken a true intelligence test - just the bs online and/or extrapolation from academic test scores.

Yeah but if you bring that up, the people who scored lower will be quick to point out that intelligence is not necessarily correlated with success in life, which is probably true, depending on how you define success.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: potoba
intel 100
athleticism 100
artistic skill 100
social skill 100
delusional moron 100
body odor 100

still, i dont get girls...

That's why

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
intelligence - C
athleticism - C
artistic skill - C
social skill - C

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'd give myself solid 60s across the board. I think I am very average. I don't suck at anything, but I also don't really excel at anything in-particular either.

KT