What percentile are you in various areas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
what vi_edit said....

It's interesting everyone so far that has responded has placed themselves high in intelligence, but super low in artistic talent. And that responses so far have been consistent.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
what vi_edit said....

It's interesting everyone so far that has responded has placed themselves high in intelligence, but super low in artistic talent. And that responses so far have been consistent.

Why is that surprising? This is forum is predominantly computer geeks.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Nice bullshit thread.

intelligence: 70
athleticism: 40
artistic skill: 55
social skill: 4

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
intelligence - 98
athleticism - 50
artistic skill - (Drawing - 15, Photography - 50, Programming (yes it is an art form) - 90)
social skill - 30 (I likey my basement :p)

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Intelligence - 97% (although I was 99% on PSAT, I'll go with my GMAT score, although that is a self-selecting group of smarter people)
Athletic - 80% - I've completed 3 marathons, but I'm pretty weak on raw strength and other sports, win some lose some?
Artistic - 10% - its embarassing
Social - 90% - I seem to do fairly well making friends

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Shit according to the ACT thing I'm 95th percentile in intelligence. Haha. Yeah right.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
intelligence - 90th
athleticism - 95th
artistic skill - 80th
social skill - 50th

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No one will mind if I self-select some categories, right? :p

Spelling: 99%
Artistic: 2%
Typing: 90%
Tolerance for watching TV: 5%
Personal Finance knowledge: 95%
Attractiveness to women: 40%
Social skills: 85%
Tidyness: 15%
Diplomatic skill: 90%
Depth perception: 10%
Lust to acquire stuff: 5%
Handwriting speed: 95%

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
OK, I'll play:
Int - 90%
Ath - 30%
Art - 80%
Soc - 75%

Int - I am more intelligent than most but have some blind spots
Ath - I have good stamina and sok strength, but I'm sadly, pathetically out of shape.
Art - I was an art student, and have no problem expressing myself, and creating something artistic in any medium. The reason I'm not still an art student is the reason I rated myself at 80, instead of above 90 :)
Soc - I have slight social anxiety, but very good etiquette, so I can hold my own in social situations, they just make me uncomfortable.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: mariok2006
intelligence - 90th
athleticism - 95th
artistic skill - 80th
social skill - 50th

besides the guy who put 100 for everything, i think we have a winner!!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
intelligence: 99
athleticism: 50
artistic skill: 75
social skill: 50

I'm a nerd :)

Edit: I'll justify my 2 above average ratings:
Intelligence: In my graduating class at my university, I'd estimate about 100 people who are smarter than me (overestimate, probably). Let's say that in the population, there are 100 such "graduating classes" worth of people of various ages from my school (again, over-estimating because the avg lifespan is a bit less than 100 years, lol); i.e. this would consist of people who have graduated, people who are in school, and people who have yet to be admitted. Now assume that there are 30 other universities in the US that are comparable to mine (that's false, but I'll be generous and it helps the numbers work out). So 100*100*30 = 300K people in the US who are smarter than me. Population of the US (assume we're distributionally similar to the rest of the world... shouldn't be too much error there) is about 300M. So 300K/300M = 0.001 = 0.1%. I should've put >99.9%, my bad.

Art: I won some state-wide (NC) awards in elementary school. I dropped it after that because I liked video games more (lame eh?), but I'm sure that will put me a bit above average. I mean, I can still draw better than many people that I know. So this number is pretty hazy; "above average" is the only thing I can say with confidence.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I think it's been demonstrated in several psychology studies that most people tend to think more highly of themselves than the reality of the situation. Ask a statistically significant sample of the population to rate their intelligence, and more than half of them will claim to be above the generally accepted median.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Special K
I think it's been demonstrated in several psychology studies that most people tend to think more highly of themselves than the reality of the situation. Ask a statistically significant sample of the population to rate their intelligence, and more than half of them will claim to be above the generally accepted median.

That's why I linked the bell curves to IQ and ACT/SAT scores. It's a little more "objective" way of ranking IQ.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
lol, as usual, ATOT is the smartest and most athletic group of people in the world.
you posts are lacking a few things though, like your $500,000 a year jobs, your super hot model girlfriends, and your Ferraris.

I agree. Though, I think you're underestimating just how stupid it really is out there.

sponge008

Jan 28, 2005
I think many people are actually underestimating themselves, especially for intelligence. Think of how good Joe Sixpack is at calculus, endurance running, painting, and public speaking, to just use some examples. The bias would probably be from the selective nature of this forum's posters' peer groups: the median university graduate is rather smarter than the median working class laborer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_Syndrome
Dunning-Kruger Syndrome leads one to believe that the people on the low/middle end of a curve overestimate their position on the curve, and the people on the high end overestimate.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
intel 100
athleticism 100
artistic skill 100
social skill 100
still, i dont get girls...

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Intelligence: 90+
Athelticism: 40
Artistic: 30
Social: 50

-Intelligence: Kind of hard to judge, i've always gotten 95+ percentile on my standardized tests, WASL,SAT,MCAT but I was only in the top 1/3 of my college graduating class.
-Athelticism: I'm decent at the sports I like although most people dont really think of them as athlete sports (snowboarding, ping pong). I'm not out of shape though
-Artistic: Not really an amazing drawer, as my crappy comics will attest, but I like to think i have a discerning eye for aesthetic qualities in things.
-Social: I'm really outgoing with my close friends but with strangers i tend to clamp down a bit. I dont realy like making small talk but if the situation calls for I can still hold a conversation without coming off as weird or antisocial

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Inteliigence: 75 & under
Atheleticism: 10 an dunder
Artistic: 20
Social: 5

Guess I didn't even have to fill out the last one to find the esimate.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
99th in intelligence.

No way to really measure the others accurately, but id say middle of the pack if not a bit on the low side for all 3.