What PC game had the best cinematic in your opinion?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Gah youtube is down for me for some reason and now I want to go through all of the sweet cutscenes that I love! (W40k, SC, Hellgate)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Icewind Dale had some of the best cinematics. Surprisingly, the cinematics were just still pictures in a book with a great mix of narration and sound effects.

If you want nice and flashy, Blizzard has always had really nice movies.

Marty502

Aug 25, 2007
I loved Diablo 2 cinematics. Particularly the ending cinematic, when the Worldstone was destroyed. Man that gave me chills.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm with a lot of the previous posters; Blizzard makes fantastic cut scenes. Diablo 2/WC3 were just awesome. WoW's two intro vids are pretty good too.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
40k Dawn of War had my favorite, the intro. Blizzard does make good ones though, can't deny it.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
DiabloII with the archangel with the crazy wings. Those cut scenes are still awesome several years after the making, though the warcraft III ones sweet are as well.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
All these posts, and nobody mentioned Squaresoft/SquareEnix?? I believe a good number of Final Fantasies were ported to computer ever since ff7, and all those CGs are top notch as well.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Back in their time, the Blizzard games had the best cut scenes and cinematic movies. I loved the D2 cut scenes back then.

SC probably had the best.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This was the only promo video for a game that made me buy the game sight unseen.

Well, not that exact video I think, but one similar for that game. I can't find the original promo video. Day of the Tentacle had some great cutscenes too.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The WoW and Mechwarrior intro movies good enough that I'd watch them for a couple weeks when first installing the game before skipping over them.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
After seeing what Blizzard did with the Warcraft series (crisp, long, beautiful, and extremely detailed cutscenes), I cannot wait to see what Starcraft 2 has instore for us in the cinematics department. They promised fewer but much more epic cutscenes (think long and sexy, SC Ghost style ;)).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ed21x
All these posts, and nobody mentioned Squaresoft/SquareEnix?? I believe a good number of Final Fantasies were ported to computer ever since ff7, and all those CGs are top notch as well.

people mentioned square, then said how much better blizzard's cinematics were :p

Deville

Feb 27, 2008
I thought Deus Ex was fantastic. The storyline, free game play, personality choices (and how they affect you in the game), cut scenes... all of it was just sooooo good. Granted, the graphics are awful by today's standards, but I really think they took the original Unreal engine to the max with that title. Not bad for Y2K era PC Gaming.
What a game! I've played through it from start to finish like 10 times.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Thief: TDP - game preview (the one with the heavy metal music) and also the 1st level intro (Garrett's intro to the Keeper)

StarCraft -
I love you, sarge!
, right before the Terran ship was destroyed.

Most of the Blizzard intro/cut-scenes were very well done.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Freespace games are another contender that haven't been brought up yet. I especially like the Bosch monologues in the second game, with excellent voice acting and equally good scripts.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I think the ending evil cut scene from KOTOR. The Yoda stand-in's words of impending doom were pretty cool, as well as seeing myself reigning over all the Sith.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I do these for a living so I'm somewhat biased.
But of all the cut scenes/intros I remember it would have to be Halflife 1's beginning.
Its not much now but at the time it was really something different.