What papers do I need to make my wife a permanent resident of US?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: SKORPI0
Apply for a Green Card Through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Lat time I checked, you need a Green Card before you can apply for US Citizenship.
Congratulations on linking to a business that profits off people too stupid to download free forms from official US government websites.

Well the OP can't find them either...do you have a link?

:)

You may have a harder time since you married overseas. At the time of mine it was a red flag.

My wife doesn't want to be a citizen of the US...she is a green card holder now and perm. resident though.

It took about 2 years, they rejected the first application.

My wife is a Canadian and we did it all through the US Counsulate in Montreal. I suspect it is no longer as easy as it was when we did it since it basically required nothing more than her going through the required health screening and filling out some paperwork. In fact I was allowed to start bringing her stuff in prior to us actually being married. We were married in Montreal on a Saturday, and spent the following Monday doing the stuff that could not be done prior to us actually having a marriage certificate. The last piece was going through the border crossing at Champlain New York where they stamped her passport with a barely legible stamp that said she was a legal US resident eligible to work. About 2 months later her green card arrived in the mail.

Edit: Oddly enough the most difficult problem we encountered was getting her car registered in Virginia. It was a Honda Civic model that was not imported into the US and it took us over a year to finally get it all straightened out.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: OUCaptain
I thought all the proper forms come automatically when you ordered her.

Win

@OP: No matter how hard you try, she will learn English and realize that you are not a "famous and wealthy American."

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Is she an illegal alien? You might want to look into legal help if thats the case.

He was married overseas.
Every time there an immigration topic on this forum people throw the word illegal around.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
OK here is the procedure in English. You basically need to file a petition for her, basically sponsoring here and making sure you make enough money to bring a dependent to this country. Once you have been granted this, they issue you a piece of paper that you then send her or bring to her. She can than apply for a visa with that piece of paper and undergo an interview with the officer in her home country, once granted the visa, which I assume should not be a problem if everything is legit. Be read to show proof that you have known this person for at least 2 years, photos and marriage photos, etc...
Once she has a visa she can then travel to US and upon her arrival she will get a work permit for 2 years... after that you guys need to show proff of living together, paying taxes, have a residence, etc... then if all good she will receive her green card.
Now the visa process is about 8 months, then she needs to wait another 2 years living in the US before she gets that green !
But seriously, you can google all of what I just said.