What outcome do you think is best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which of these outcomes do you think is best for the country?

• Romney wins, Dems keep Senate majority

• Romney wins, Republicans get Senate majority

• Obama wins, Dems keep Senate majority

• Obama wins, Republicans get Senate majority

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
I may be proved wrong, but both Rs seem sincere about reducing the footprint of government and the attendant deficit spending. Other than national security, I have no higher interest.

You will. Learn from history. They always act sincere about controlling spending. They NEVER are once elected.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
There's an awful lot of "seem sincere" in campaigns, very little of it after the election is over.

What will you do when, assuming what you want the results to be occurs, they fail to deliver? Will you criticize them for it or will you shift the blame?

I have never shied away from criticizing those who deserve it. :cool:

Seriously, I just moved back from living and working in Europe and I see the same issues here. There many played ostrich or embraced failed approaches in the vain hope they would work if only they did more of the same.

Not too many years before I lived and worked in Japan and saw the same there.

It is my sincerest hope that I do not have to live through more of the same here.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think voting in this depends on if you're feeling lazy and just want gridlock, or, feeling like thinking long term and realizing the sooner one party finally tanks the country, the faster we can hit the reset switch and start over. If the former then it doesn't really matter which option you pick, as long as the POTUS is opposite party of Congress. If the latter then you want all party the same.

No serious person could actually think having the same party for both Congress and POTUS would be good for the country as a whole. I can only assume you're thinking about the reset switch line of logic since listing that.

Chuck
Assuming one party takes complete control and tanks the nation, and people actually realize it, the other party will likely take complete control and tank the nation in a different fashion. This is because of corruption to an extent, but much more because as a nation we pay more attention to NASCAR and the NBA and American Idol and Honey Boo Boo than to what our elected leaders do, AND even more because as a nation we want more government than we are willing to fund. We want OUR priorities at someone else's expense, which guarantees that one party or the other will play us off against each other.

I voted President Romney and Senate Majority Leader Reid, even though I despise Reid, because if the Pubbies get complete control they'll likely start on social issues just as Obama started on grabbing government control of health care for the bureaucracy. Individually I prefer Republicans in each position, but I don't prefer Republicans in every position.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
When I say tank the nation though, I mean really tank the nation. Not a little pissant depression like we had/have, I'm talking a real tank. For the citizens of the US to wake up, we need it to get to the point people are shooting CEO's, members of Congress, Wall Street Exec's, etc. That's where I hope we eventually get.

It's not that I want that to happen. It's just I realize short of that, we will continue down the slippery slope of societal degradation and voting in more and more people that F the long term welfare of the nation in return for unsustainable short term bennies for the 47% and Rich. Because we will continue down this slope, we will continue to have Politicians en masse who are going to be elected by the two major parties, serving their base constituency, F'ing the nation over. Meanwhile, through our greed, we've awakened giants China and India to compete with us, and in doing so, have spurred Globalization along far faster and more pervasively if we'd not been so greedy and lazy. These two nations will eclipse us within 100-200 years in terms of global influence and purchasing power, all while we decline.

That's the future. In light of that, I chose reset, ASAP.

Chuck

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
When I say tank the nation though, I mean really tank the nation. Not a little pissant depression like we had/have, I'm talking a real tank. For the citizens of the US to wake up, we need it to get to the point people are shooting CEO's, members of Congress, Wall Street Exec's, etc. That's where I hope we eventually get.

It's not that I want that to happen. It's just I realize short of that, we will continue down the slippery slope of societal degradation and voting in more and more people that F the long term welfare of the nation in return for unsustainable short term bennies for the 47% and Rich. Because we will continue down this slope, we will continue to have Politicians en masse who are going to be elected by the two major parties, serving their base constituency, F'ing the nation over. Meanwhile, through our greed, we've awakened giants China and India to compete with us, and in doing so, have spurred Globalization along far faster and more pervasively if we'd not been so greedy and lazy. These two nations will eclipse us within 100-200 years in terms of global influence and purchasing power, all while we decline.

That's the future. In light of that, I chose reset, ASAP.

Chuck
Here we have a guy praying for death and suffering all because he doesn't want 10-15% of his taxes used to feed poor minority children. :thumbsup: Oh, but he said he doesn't want it. He thinks it will be in our best interests.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Here we have a guy praying for death and suffering all because he doesn't want 10-15% of his taxes used to feed poor minority children. :thumbsup: Oh, but he said he doesn't want it. He thinks it will be in our best interests.

Best national interest long term? Of course. Best for parts of the 47% or Rich in the short term? No. If anything other than death and suffering would fix the long term I'd be all for it. Nothing else will though, human nature. The Dem and Rep base is way to strong, and getting stronger at its extremes, to come to any other logical outcome.

You're free to give more though to the IRS, there is a provision for that. After all, you want more given to the poor minority children through the Fed right? Ante up b1tch, put your money where your mouth is...

Chuck

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
This poll is like asking which outcome is best between being stabbed to death and shot to death.

What difference does it honestly make? There is no difference.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Best national interest long term? Of course. Best for parts of the 47% or Rich in the short term? No. If anything other than death and suffering would fix the long term I'd be all for it. Nothing else will though, human nature. The Dem and Rep base is way to strong, and getting stronger at its extremes, to come to any other logical outcome.

You're free to give more though to the IRS, there is a provision for that. After all, you want more given to the poor minority children through the Fed right? Ante up b1tch, put your money where your mouth is...

Chuck
You can spell out bitch. Don't be afraid to just let loose. Let your hair down. Tell us how it really is.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You can spell out bitch. Don't be afraid to just let loose. Let your hair down. Tell us how it really is.

This means you're giving a few extra thousand to the Fed next year when you file your taxes, right? Don't forget about the po kids, do it fer thems! I know you trust the Fed to spend it wisely, so it should be no problem...lulz...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Wars are expensive. You can argue that we should be a pacifist nation, turn our cheek when attacked. But if we don't we should accept that it will cost us tons of money.

You can reasonably argue that Bush and a Democrat Congress spent us into a hole, but then why not equally criticize Obama, Reid and Pelosi for keeping us on that same curve of trillion $ annual deficits?

The better question is - who will stop the madness? We know that Obama and Congressional Democrats won't. And that leaves us with only a Republican team again.

You know nothing. You don't think, you rationalize. You start with false assumption and create from those a circus act. Only Nixon could go to China and only Democrats can deal with the debt.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I usually like a divided government, but looking at the financial tsunami that is about to break over us I am going to go with a straight Republican ticket this time around.

That's funny, as if you were going to do anything different.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This means you're giving a few extra thousand to the Fed next year when you file your taxes, right? Don't forget about the po kids, do it fer thems! I know you trust the Fed to spend it wisely, so it should be no problem...lulz...

Hehehe, the feds are fucked. Vote Republican so we can be the fucks.

I hate government. Make me the government. But you are the beloved Congress. The country is shit so vote in more shit. You folks are brain dead.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
You know nothing. You don't think, you rationalize. You start with false assumption and create from those a circus act. Only Nixon could go to China and only Democrats can deal with the debt.

Now Moonbeam you know very well that Saddam Hussein was weeks, if not days, away from taking away all of our freedoms when George Bush saved us.

Now we need Romney to save us from Iran, and expand the military, and cut taxes, and save social security/medicare/medicaid, and finally fix the deficit by cutting funding for PBS.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Hehehe, the feds are fucked. Vote Republican so we can be the fucks.

Well, I'm voting either Bummer or 3rd party. I will not, under any circumstance, vote for Romney. Rep, Dem, there is no difference. Both parties ruling elite are insane. Boths base unsustainably greedy. One is the option of putting one leg in a tree limb grinder to the knee, the other is putting the other leg on a chopping block and then throwing it to the wolves.

I hate government.

No, I hate unsustainably bloated government. If you love bloated gov then by all means, write a check personally to the IRS each year for more than you owe to help them out. Convince everyone you know that wants more Gov to do the same. Let us know how that works out...

Make me the government.

That will never happen.

But you are the beloved Congress. The country is shit so vote in more shit.

I'm not the beloved Congress, since Congress is 80% of the problem, voted in by the extremes. That's the problem. The middle 60% of the people in the country do not have a Congress. The 50%, minus the Rich, who pay Fed taxes do not have a Congress.

You folks are brain dead.

When you are in a blacked out cave everything appears to be dead...

Chuck

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
That anyone would think to vote Republican after their display of obstructionism and brinksmanship is unfathomable to me. Vote the bums out!

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
That's funny, as if you were going to do anything different.

Yeah, I guess I do have the option of not voting this time around, but I am going to do my civic duty to vote for the best team for the next four years - Romney and Ryan.

There are some local candidates, like Ken Timmerman for US Senate, that I want to vote for as well to keep whomever wins honest.

Maryland is way too blue to go R, it will take even more crushing taxes levied on the people to have them wake up, so my vote will be more or less symbolic.

I should have moved to Virginia this time around!

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
winter-is-coming-meme-generator-pjabber-winter-is-coming-a4f155.jpg

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
the best team for the next four years - Romney and Ryan.

I'll remember you saying this if they get elected and end up not fixing a damn thing. I expect you'll do some combination of defend, deflect, and obfuscate for them at that point.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Assuming one party takes complete control and tanks the nation, and people actually realize it, the other party will likely take complete control and tank the nation in a different fashion. This is because of corruption to an extent, but much more because as a nation we pay more attention to NASCAR and the NBA and American Idol and Honey Boo Boo than to what our elected leaders do, AND even more because as a nation we want more government than we are willing to fund. We want OUR priorities at someone else's expense, which guarantees that one party or the other will play us off against each other.

The truth. A nation of short-sighted morons will elect the gov't they deserve.

Just this weekend I was listening to someone say they were going to vote for Romney because they could never vote for someone in favor of gay marriage. Someone else asked this person if that was the most pressing issue we're facing right now, and this person said yes. :rolleyes: Can't let the gays violate the sacredness of marriage - never mind that this same person was divorced and didn't think anything was wrong with divorce. It was clearly the gays wrecking the institution of marriage!

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Need option for Obama wins, Dems take House and gain supermajority of Senate until Republicans flush the shit out of their party. One can dream, right?

Dream all you want, but nothing revives the GOP like Dems running everything. They may be a collection of idiots on their own, but they run a "we're not the other guys" ticket pretty well.