What, no thread about Stadia in this subforum? (Cloud gaming - Read Dead Redemption 2 joined at Nov launch)

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Overall info & launch titles:

Games:

Latest news about price:

PS5 won't outperform Stadia:

RDR2 joins for launch title:

I'm all for it. I'm basically paying $200 to play RDR2 at graphics/performance level that crushes my 1060 6gb, but the biggest reason is I can play it on my HDTV like a couch potato.

And any devices. No hardware on my end except a dongle (Chromecast) and controller to play.

I can easily bring it to friend's house or lakehouse, etc.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah that's a no for me dawg:

- it's Google. This service will be dead and abandoned with no updates in a year or two.

- you have to pay for a sub, then buy the game anyway, then lose the game when Stadia goes belly up.

- everything about my internet sucks and I barely like being dependant on my internet to use Steam or other platforms, let alone actually needing the internet to actually play the game.

-Im an old man. I shook my cane when they took away my physical disks, but the convenience of steam was too much for even me to deny. But streaming is a bridge too far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martimus

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is incorrect.

From OP's Second Link:

The core Stadia experience will be available as part of Stadia Pro, which is a $9.99 per month subscription service that gets you a growing library of games at the service’s highest streaming quality (4K/60 fps/HDR). A Stadia Pro subscription also provides exclusive discounts to game purchases. It’s not totally clear which games will require a separate purchase and which will be part of Stadia Pro, but Google has confirmed that Destiny 2 is part of the membership.

Don’t want to subscribe to anything? You can wait for Stadia Base to arrive in 2020, which will allow you to simply buy the games you want to play a la carte.

So from the second link the OP provided, looks like Stadia is launching as a subscription only service, you will get some games "free" as part of the sub but other games will still have to be purchased. Looks like a "base" level service that will be launched at a later date will allow you to just buy games a la carte without the sub, but thats not whats happening at launch.

So you will have to pay for a sub at launch until some undefined time in 2020.

Reactions: Martimus

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
From OP's Second Link:

So from the second link the OP provided, looks like Stadia is launching as a subscription only service, you will get some games "free" as part of the sub but other games will still have to be purchased. Looks like a "base" level service that will be launched at a later date will allow you to just buy games a la carte without the sub, but thats not whats happening at launch.

Also, as I understand it, Stadia base is limited to 1080P resolution.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Stadia is the modern day Sega Dreamcast and the next runner up to replace the Ouya. It'll gain a bit of momentum but I doubt it'll do anything extraordinary that will set it above the rest.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
From OP's Second Link:

Yes, you can pay a subscription, but you don't "have to pay for a sub", which is why you're incorrect. There is no subscription for the 1080p streaming. If you want 4K streaming, you need to pay.

Reactions: clamum

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yes, you can pay a subscription, but you don't "have to pay for a sub", which is why you're incorrect. There is no subscription for the 1080p streaming. If you want 4K streaming, you need to pay.

- I'm confused. Could you provide a link?

I stated that a free non-sub service (the 1080p/60Hz version) will be coming "At some undefined point in 2020" but at launch the only way to access Stadia is throught the pro service with a subscription.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I need more than your word.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
- I'm confused. Could you provide a link?

I stated that a free non-sub service (the 1080p/60Hz version) will be coming "At some undefined point in 2020" but at launch the only way to access Stadia is throught the pro service with a subscription.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I need more than your word.

Stadia "Founders Edition" is launching this year. It's just marketing to get $200 out of people. The actual subscription and base services don't launch until next year.

Feb 4, 2009
Call me suspicious
We keep hearing how super awesome these game streaming services will be but it never works as advertised
If anyone can do it google will be the company but google is also the company to lose interest once it becomes challenging

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It has its niche - at least TODAY anyway. Sony, MS, et al are all launching their respective cloud stream gaming too. So industry indicators are there. Perhaps we'll all move onto cloud gaming - just like cloud computing and everything gone SaaS today.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The reason its not in this forum is because its not "PC gaming". Its more akin to Console gaming.

It should work ok for casual gamers that do not care about being competitive, or maybe only play single player games, and they live in a place with no data caps. I am sure there are places in the world without any type of data caps. But even if there wasn't all the other issues with it, I would still not get it because I have a 2TB data cap, and Stadia will rip through that rather quickly if you actually game a lot.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I want a more subscription based game library like Origin Vault, and Microsoft Game Pass.
I am not a fan of streaming game service.

The hardware i run / always will run will be at the top of the niche anyhow, so im far better off playing it on my PC then streaming it.

But honestly, your really at the mercy of your ISP, and Google in streaming.
And ISP can care less about packet loss and buffering for streaming can result in a game over really fast.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, IMHO, there's a couple of ways to look at this.

One is that our beloved gaming industry, is going to be sub-sumed by these streaming services, and "traditional" (local high-powered client system-based gaming) is going to fall by the wayside, kind of like DVDs versus online movie streaming services.

But that calls into question, the quality of the "game experience" issue.

The other way to look at it is, it may INCREASE the overall "gaming market" significantly, by casting a much wider net as far as audience goes, for gamers that can't always afford to keep a high-powered local system up-to-date, as well as gamers on 5G cell phones with HD screens and BT controllers (on Android), etc.

That could be an overall positive for the industry, by growing the potential target market for games significantly, and also, taking market share from "mobile games" as we now know them, by enabling higher-end cell-phone owners to playing what amounts to bona-fide PC gaming, streaming, through their cell-phones. So the PC gaming market will go up, while potentially, the "mobile gaming" (as we know it currently) will possibly go down. Meaning, that PC gaming in general grows their share of the pie. That would be good for companies like CD Projekt Red, who are AFAIK, PC-only? (Maybe I'm wrong about that.)

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Am I the only one who doesn't use any kind of streaming service?

That would be good for companies like CD Projekt Red, who are AFAIK, PC-only? (Maybe I'm wrong about that.)
The Witcher 3 is one of the most popular games on PS4. They design their games for PC, but they aren't PC exclusive anymore.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Youtube is streaming.

You cant tell me you dont watch youtube here and then.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Youtube is streaming.

You cant tell me you dont watch youtube here and then.

Stream video, yes. Stream games... hell nah! My brother has bought into Stadia but he has a horrible track record of picking up new services which fail.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The reason its not in this forum is because its not "PC gaming". Its more akin to Console gaming.

Yessir. I had started a thread back way back in March--under Console gaming since it ships with a controller.

Good to know users are really taking advantage of the forum search function...

Reactions: Stuka87

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Well I have to try it to see if it's fast enough to play pc games. Out of curiosity. And I guess some of it's from all the hype.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
What hype? I see the random Stadia ad on Youtube, but other than the short 5-second preview before I skip the ad, I don't see any hype anywhere.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I didn't actually notice hype in ads or other large popular venues so you're probably right. I was getting that idea of hype from a few posts in forum threads like in Guru3d and HardOCP. So I made an assumption.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Wow, we're two weeks out from launch and I am seeing ZERO hype. Not optimistic for Stadia's chances