Question What mouse do you use?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i guess im just typing this because i want to type, but in case, here is what is happening in the mouse world and why it matters.

Back in the days when mice became important, the biggest improvements to mouse technology came from the world of eSports, and mostly from shooters, such as Quake, Unreal and CountrStrike. These were the first games to have Pros, people who make money from playing the game. As such they would obviously go with the best mice available, and mice companies wanted the publicity so they started developing better gaming mice.
The progression of development was:

plug & play
higher DPI
higher useability (which surface works)
higher poll rate
drivers / macros / programability
removing angle snapping / smoothing from the sensor
better sensor implementation, pcb design and coding
shell build quality
scrollwheel + buttons quality
additional fucntionalities
driverless
wireless
RGB

although some companies jumped some steps, or did a step before another.
Nowadays just about every company (including cheapo chinese stuff from eBay) is at least at the "better sensor implementation" stage, so pretty much any mouse you randomly buy will do well enough to be used in any non-pro setting.
For example, Corsair mice were mediocre, but now they are excellent. Even A4 which was a chinese, made-for-amazon brand now makes excellent mice.
Logitech has always been at the front of technology innovation, and their mice are by far "the best" (just because the Lightspeed tech) but damn, they are expensive. But when you talk sensor, you really can't buy a bad mouse these days.

Shell quality, RGB bloat, weight problems, shell shape, and the occasional catastrophic design failure still happen in the mouse world, but realistically there is zero difference from an eSports perspectiove (i.e. point at the pixel and shoot) from a CM65, a Zowie Fk, a G703, a Razer Snake_name, a Glorious Model 0, even that abberhation which is the Mad Catz RAT is a decent mouse today.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Right now a Razer Viper Ultimate at home and then a Logitech M705 for my main work one and a smaller Logitech Anywhere MX. Both of the Logitech mice have lasted nearly 10 years of daily use. It seems that the gaming mice wear out much quicker. Hopefully the Viper goes more than 1 year.

MrPayne93

Jan 27, 2020
Home: Logitech G500 (soon to be a G502)

Work: Logitech M185 (looking at an MX Master 2S or MX Master 3)

potato masher

May 15, 2019
I started using an inexpensive anker vertical mouse. Took me a few weeks to get used to it but I like it now. I do bout 50/50 between vertical and standard mice.

IMO switching back and forth is great for your body kind of like the desks that raise up for standing. Or like touring bicyclists do with multiple hand positions..

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Logitech RX1500. I don't FPS game much these days so don't find myself using more buttons than it has, am ambidextrous as is it, and got a few of them dirt cheap after rebate a few years back.

Removed the weight out of them, mostly use small finger movements to move a mouse and the laser sensor tracks well for that with less latency than the several battery-life-optimized cordless mice I have.

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
The Logitech M100 is a great mouse and one i've used for work in the past without any issues. At home though i use a Logitech G600. It's a bit pricey but it`s programmable and i've definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
On the gaming rig - > Cooler Master Devastator 3 (Gets the job done)
Everywhere else -> 3 Logitech M310's and 2 Logitech M215's. M310's are "familiar friends" at this point and M215's are dirt cheap.

Since I consolidated a couple of rigs onto one MX Keys keyboard I've been considering doing the same and picking up a MX Master 3

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Logitech MX Master 3
Very nice for long-use sessions, lots of keys, precise, doesn't get in the way, doesn't lose connectivity. Rechargeable.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Still using my trusty Logitech G9X. The small body shell (there are more than one external shells that you could swap on this mouse to find one that best fits your hands and grip) and the custom weights made it perfect for me. Only mod I have done over the years that I have had it was to add an abrasion resistant wrap to the USB wire to help prevent damage from the years of use and abuse this has gone through (I want to say I have been using it daily for 11-12 years now).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Original Logitech G502. I've only added mouse skates (which are great, btw).

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
...and finally got around to picking up a logitech m720 to pair up with mx keys keyboard.
Now have single keyboard\mouse setup controlling 3 devices and Logitech Flow is working great.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I need to start looking for a new mouse again... Mine isn't dead yet, but I have noticed some damage to the USB cord even under the abrasion resistant wrap I added. I can probably physically cut the cord and solder a new one to the internal board headers, but the mouse is now like 12 years old...

I don't know, I need to look and see if there is something that I like and see if I can find it somewhere to put in my hand before spend the money on it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Many mice have an internal USB cord connector such that you could swap a cord from a different mouse... plug 'n play, after taking a screw or two out to get to it. It's more likely to find a compatible connector from a mouse of same brand and era. I keep (most of) my old mice for reasons like this, and some I hardly used, have low wear left click switches to replace those that wore out on other mice.

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Just upgraded my 6 year old intellimouse to current Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse in Shadow White. Brought the last one from Microsoft 6 years ago and brought the new again from Microsoft.

"The Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse gives you a high-performance work and gaming-ready mouse with speed, responsiveness, precision, and durability. It features customizable buttons,* a sleek look and feel, and a tracking sensor for the smallest flicks and largest gestures. Complete your experience by choosing a custom tail light color.*

1637885317919.png

16000 DPI maximum; PixArt PASW3389PRO-MS sensor.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/m...8rs0hww7dhnk/G582?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/m...8rs0hww7dhnk/G582?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Just upgraded my 6 year old intellimouse to current Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse in Shadow White. Brought the last one from Microsoft 6 years ago and brought the new again from Microsoft.

"The Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse gives you a high-performance work and gaming-ready mouse with speed, responsiveness, precision, and durability. It features customizable buttons,* a sleek look and feel, and a tracking sensor for the smallest flicks and largest gestures. Complete your experience by choosing a custom tail light color.*

1637885597245.png
16000 DPI maximum; PixArt PASW3389PRO-MS sensor.

Last edited:

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Sorry, something went wrong and I reposted this since I did not see it appear. Now have two versions of it! Read the one you like or read both of them.
Hahahahaha! o_O

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Just came and unboxed it and plug it in and it even better ten my current one that has 12K dpi, the new one has 16K dpi and feels much better, weighs more but it is exactly the same shape as my current one but white! It looks better to since it is brand new!

Feb 4, 2009
Corsair M65
41EJ1h0GdlL.jpg

I really liked this mouse and am sad I gave up on them due to having three of them fail over a 5-ish year period.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I really liked this mouse and am sad I gave up on them due to having three of them fail over a 5-ish year period.
That's a drag. I think I bought my G502 in 2014. Only thing I had to do is replace the 'pads' with Mouse Skates, as it was beginning to get draggy.

Feb 4, 2009
That's a drag. I think I bought my G502 in 2014. Only thing I had to do is replace the 'pads' with Mouse Skates, as it was beginning to get draggy.

Yeah I went to the same Logitech last year and so far it is aging well. Only things I dislike are the scroll wheel is sort of weird but not a deal breaker and the speed adjust is awkward.
I don’t change the speed of my mouse often.

Reactions: Ajay

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a G604 as my daily driver and a backup G700s (has that double click problem occasionally). I like having lots of buttons and have a standard layout for FPS/RPG games. I use a Surface Mouse for my laptop.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I own a bunch of mice but I daily is the Logitech G600. I like it so much I bought a few of them as spares.