What mini-ITX motherboard to pair with Ryzen 5 2400G?

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
I'm willing to get that AsRock for my 2400G build, but I'm concerned about the BIOS. If the board doesn't have a Raven Ridge compatible BIOS, will it fail POST? Or can I flash the BIOS to a newer one even if all I have to put into the AM4 socket is my new 2400G?

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I'm willing to get that AsRock for my 2400G build, but I'm concerned about the BIOS. If the board doesn't have a Raven Ridge compatible BIOS, will it fail POST? Or can I flash the BIOS to a newer one even if all I have to put into the AM4 socket is my new 2400G?

It won't post. Some ASUS mobo's can be bios flashed/updated without a CPU being installed. I've done it. Not sure about ASRock though.

There is also a "boot kit" available from AMD https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Last edited:

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
The best of the best: ASRock AB350 mITX/AC.

I bought that one as well. For me it was mostly a question of processor clearance, proper ATX power & SATA layout. Reviews of this board have been good, but so have been the others.

If layout or clearance are no issue to you the Gigabyte and Biostar options are perfectly fine as well.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You could have asked the shop to perform your bios update. Mine did it for just 9 euros and performed the same day.

A) Amazon doesn't do BIOS updates.
B) I requested the boot kit out of curiosity. I've got a processor I could use to perform the BIOS update.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
A) Amazon doesn't do BIOS updates.
B) I requested the boot kit out of curiosity. I've got a processor I could use to perform the BIOS update.

Easy, tiger. It was a general advise not particular to you since I' ve seen so many discussion about this issue and nobody thinking of the easiest solution. Plenty of online stores do offer this service

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Good luck, would be cool if you report back results.

They've confirmed my request, but I don't have a tracking number as of yet. Looks like they just ship you an A6-9500 with a return shipping label to allow you to update the BIOS, then you ship it back. I do however find this part slightly odd.

Note: Please keep the heatsink and fan as it is not required to send this back to AMD but be advised that this heatsink is not compatible with your Ryzen APU.

I mean, sure it's cheaper to ship it back without it I guess. But then what do they do with the CPU? Sell them back to OEM's? Melt them down? If it's going to be getting shipped back out for someone else to use, is the shipping cost difference not to return it really enough to just rebox it with another one?

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
lol skippy down in procurement accidentally fat fingered the cooler orders. Now they have thousands of extra CPU coolers that they are giving away.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
My "bootkit" arrived.

20180222120535-1133b031.jpg

I feel like there's a joke in there about not calling it a CPU. Given the box is the same size either way, I'm still perplexed by the request to return it without the heatsink. But I'll give them credit, that wasn't a bad turn around time.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
My "bootkit" arrived.

20180222120535-1133b031.jpg

I feel like there's a joke in there about not calling it a CPU. Given the box is the same size either way, I'm still perplexed by the request to return it without the heatsink. But I'll give them credit, that wasn't a bad turn around time.
So what motherboard did you go with?

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
"Bootkit" successfully used to update the BIOS on my AB350 Gaming ITX/AC. No real surprise since it's just a boxed A6-9500. Now to get around to going to FedEx to ship it back.

That was fast! Opens up the option of buying older stock AM4 mobo for Ryzen builds.

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
Got my bootkit within 3 business days, nice job AMD!

I ended up buying the Gigabyte AB350N WIFI, ordered on Amazon and it came with F10 BIOS, which can handle Raven Ridge. I still used the bootkit to update the BIOS, just in case.

The GB board is really nice, no problems, fast WIFI, so far very stable with G.Skill 3000MHz RAM at 2933 CL15. Looking forward to spending more time with it, so far I only installed Win10 1709 and FireFox and ran tests.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, my setup went smoothly. Not so much after that. Getting BSOD's every 30 minutes or so (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION). Known good SSD, PS, RAM. Nothing else plugged in. I suspect it's the onboard WiFi/Bluetooth as that seems to cut out before the BSOD.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, definitely the onboard WiFi. Unfortunately I'm seeing some other people reporting the same issue after updating to the P4.40 BIOS. P4.40 is the only BIOS that supports Raven Ridge. I'm going to try another one, just to be safe. But if that doesn't work, I'll have to swap it out with a different board. Any alternate recommendations for an ITX board preferably with Intel NIC's?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ugh as much as i love asrock, the taichi line, i HATE the FATALITY line.
I wish they would just drop him and his brand completely.

Id buy a board labled OMGWTFBBQ line before i buy a FATAL1TY one.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, if they had a ITX version of my Taichi, I'd go with that. But I guess I'm going to have to go with the Gigabyte in this case.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Well the layout of the Gigabyte board is craptacular but at least it works. WiFi is better than I was expecting for onboard. I'm guess that's a credit to it's included remote antenna.