What Linux Has Cost Me

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Ive recently been trying to install linux and i have come to conclusion that the saying 'Linux is only free if you dont value your time' is true.

What it cost me:
- Brand new 40GB HDD
- Crashed and old HDD
- 5 Days of my time
- Countless hours of support from Friends
- 30 Mins support from a professional
- 5 Days of very little seti production
- Borrowed Redhat 8 off a friend
- Downloaded SuSE 9 via my dads broadband connection
- 1 x 22mb file downloaded over 33.6k dial up
- 1x 21mb file downloaded over 33.6k dial up
- Postal Costs of 7 cd's
- One computer now out of action until i can get Linux to work, did have 98 on but the hdd that had that on crashed due to- i think - to being swapped in and out too many times.

I give up!

I now have to wait until i can get a copy of SuSE 9 on DVD ~ 3 - 4 days

/Rant

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
good thing you didn't learn anything, you wouldn't want that

are you really saying the OS broke a new hd?

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
good thing you didn't learn anything, you wouldn't want that

are you really saying the OS broke a new hd?

No it was the crappy old hdd that died, and i wasnt saying it was the OS's fault, basically the problems i had installing SuSE was due to it not being able to find the install files on the HDD's so ive been swapping in and out hdd's for a couple of days and i think that the swapping in and out lead to the death of my HDD, a side effect if you will.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
#1 - faulty hardware... not Linux's fault, though I will admit, Linux will help you find junk hardware faster and more reliably. So looks like you've benefitted already.

#2 - 5 days. 30 minutes. Etc... Well, firstly here, it doesn't exactly sound like you're a *NIX professional or even very experienced. So count yourself lucky you've only been toying with it this long without results.

#3 - 33.6k... hey, that's your own problem. Broadband is cheap these days (hell, I don't have much money but I make sure I have broadband).

I'd say Linux IS free (minus the pennies you spend to burn the ROM images onto discs), but your experience into learning it, as with every learning experience in life, is the pricetag.

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD

#3 - 33.6k... hey, that's your own problem. Broadband is cheap these days (hell, I don't have much money but I make sure I have broadband).

I cant get broadband here, Longnor Exchange Isnt Broadband Enabled.

Im not experienced at all in linux, thats why i was installing it, with help because i wanted to learn, but so far ive just had problem after problem.
Nobody seems to be able to work out what the problem is now, we managed to over come the first problem(S) we had but there seems to be noway around this one.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: moonshinemadness
Originally posted by: SunnyD

I cant get broadband here, Longnor Exchange Isnt Broadband Enabled.

Im not experienced at all in linux, thats why i was installing it, with help because i wanted to learn, but so far ive just had problem after problem.
Nobody seems to be able to work out what the problem is now, we managed to over come the first problem(S) we had but there seems to be noway around this one.

Doesn't BT offer DSL like everywhere now?

And what exactly is the problem again/now?

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
No, the trigger in my area is 100 and theres only 35 people interested :(

Basically im installing off my HDD which is the master. When you come to choose where the install files are I chose hda1 (Master, partition 1) then it asks which root folder they are in so its /suse but it cannot find them in that folder I know its case sensitive and everything. I also tried it as a slave, as single and as master (This is where all the swapping in and out of the 98 hdd came in) Ive repartitioned it and renamed the folder and it still wont find it. I've tried it as /dev/hda1/suse, /dev/hda0/suse and /SUSE and it still cant find the files.

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
it cost me 100's of hrs. at least it didnt break anything for me.
learned some random goodies that i will never use in those 100 hrs too.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i installed it on a system last week to try it for the first time. took about an hour.

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Hammer
i installed it on a system last week to try it for the first time. took about an hour.

Yeah i installed redhat 8 first and that installed fine and only took 45 mins but there was a problem with it and thats why i went to suse

phonemonkey

Feb 2, 2003
I don't know the specs of your machine, but you might want to try running VMware or Virtual PC on your machine to tinker around with Linux.

If nothing else, you won't have to swap hardware around as often.

If you want to keep swapping around harddrives, you might want to get some caddies to use as well (they're like US$15-$20).

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Sounds like a user error to me...

I installed Linux on a P2 300mhz PC and took me less than an hour.. It was easier install then any Microsoft OS...

Plus..

I don't know anything about linux (that's why I installed one to test it)..
plug-n-play detected everything.

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Papagayo
Sounds like a user error to me...

I installed Linux on a P2 300mhz PC and took me less than an hour.. It was easier install then any Microsoft OS...

Plus..

I don't know anything about linux (that's why I installed one to test it)..
plug-n-play detected everything.

So if its user error what is it im doing wrong? And what has plug and play got to do with anything?

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Okay, you're adding more bullets to the list than there should be:

Brand new 40GB HDD - This is as much a Linux cost as my entire machine is a Windows cost. Unless you were planning to use a live CD, where were you planning to install any OS?

Crashed and old HDD - Like others have said, Linux didn't cause this to happen. Unless you're somehow suggesting that the Linux install requires you to swap your drives in and out to the point of failure... The drive was either going to die soon anyway, or you mishandled it.

5 Days of my time, countless hours..., 30 minutes..., 5 days of seti... - Time cost. I'll give you this one, assuming you didn't learn something from it.

Borrowed Redhat 8 off a friend - How is this even a cost? If it's lost time, then it doesn't get a new bullet.

Downloaded SuSE 9 via my dads broadband connection - Why? I thought you borrowed RH8 from a friend. In any case, it sure beats having to shell out $100+ for an OS at the store, doesn't it?

XXmb file downloaded over 33.6k dial up - The 33.6 part is irrelevant. That's all you have, so it's not like Linux was the limiting factor. And are you suggesting you don't download anything for a Windows machine. I guess that's true, assuming you don't mind old drivers and unpatched security holes.

Postal Costs of 7 cd's - What for? I thought you borrowed RH8 from a friend AND downloaded Suse 9. What CDs are these?

The only valid "cost" here is time. I don't understand why people try to install a completely new OS and expect it not to cost them time. If you wanted something working out of the box, by all means, use Windows...or Mandrake Linux or a Knoppix Live CD. When I first installed RH6, it took me two weeks to get the network card working. In the mean time, I figured out how to configure networking, compile new source code and insert modules. Yeah, it costed me a lot of time, but I got a lot of experience out of it. I even bought a new machine just for it, but I don't consider that a "cost" because Linux didn't forced me to get a new machine...besides, I dual-booted. I then got a nice job in college because of my Linux experience that more than paid off my "wasted" high school student time.

And if you feel Linux has cost you so much, why do you insist that your machine run it? Just install Windows. Otherwise, you feel either Linux will provide you some useful service or you feel the experience you gain (good or bad) is worth the trouble.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
if you cant install suse, you dont deserve to be using any computer, reguardless of the os...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
hehe ive been loading gentoo on my laptop for the past 2 days. Gettting pcmcia to work with kernel 2.6 is a major PITA. I love every moinute of it thought, gentoo is the bomb :)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rival
if you cant install suse, you dont deserve to be using any computer, reguardless of the os...

yeah, suse radhat and mandrake are idiotproof

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Okay, you're adding more bullets to the list than there should be:

Brand new 40GB HDD - This is as much a Linux cost as my entire machine is a Windows cost. Unless you were planning to use a live CD, where were you planning to install any OS?

98 ran on my 1.7GB HDD it was only because linux needed more space that i bought the HDD

Crashed and old HDD - Like others have said, Linux didn't cause this to happen. Unless you're somehow suggesting that the Linux install requires you to swap your drives in and out to the point of failure... The drive was either going to die soon anyway, or you mishandled it.

Granted it was old ;)

5 Days of my time, countless hours..., 30 minutes..., 5 days of seti... - Time cost. I'll give you this one, assuming you didn't learn something from it.

I learnt the ins and outs of Linux installation

Borrowed Redhat 8 off a friend - How is this even a cost? If it's lost time, then it doesn't get a new bullet.

Hey damnit postage costs money!!;)

Downloaded SuSE 9 via my dads broadband connection - Why? I thought you borrowed RH8 from a friend. In any case, it sure beats having to shell out $100+ for an OS at the store, doesn't it?

Yeah RH8 didnt work properly, the firewall freaked out and set itself permanantly on high blocking all net traffic bringing my network too its knees

XXmb file downloaded over 33.6k dial up - The 33.6 part is irrelevant. That's all you have, so it's not like Linux was the limiting factor. And are you suggesting you don't download anything for a Windows machine. I guess that's true, assuming you don't mind old drivers and unpatched security holes.

I gave up using microsoft update long ago so ok its irrelevant but its still 4 hours down the drain

Postal Costs of 7 cd's - What for? I thought you borrowed RH8 from a friend AND downloaded Suse 9. What CDs are these?

6 CDS of RH8 and a copy of SuSE 9 on DVD

The only valid "cost" here is time. I don't understand why people try to install a completely new OS and expect it not to cost them time. If you wanted something working out of the box, by all means, use Windows...or Mandrake Linux or a Knoppix Live CD. When I first installed RH6, it took me two weeks to get the network card working. In the mean time, I figured out how to configure networking, compile new source code and insert modules. Yeah, it costed me a lot of time, but I got a lot of experience out of it. I even bought a new machine just for it, but I don't consider that a "cost" because Linux didn't forced me to get a new machine...besides, I dual-booted. I then got a nice job in college because of my Linux experience that more than paid off my "wasted" high school student time.

And if you feel Linux has cost you so much, why do you insist that your machine run it? Just install Windows. Otherwise, you feel either Linux will provide you some useful service or you feel the experience you gain (good or bad) is worth the trouble.

So ok, i agree that my rant was somewhat stupid but i was p!ssed off. I expect it to cost me time its just when i have spent 5 days and learnt nothing, had i have resolved the problems it wouldnt bother me but the fact i havent really annoyed me!! What i now have learnt is that non of this was a cost, its will help in the future when i get linux running to learn about linux which was my main objective in the first place

On another subject if anyone things they may have an idea as to why this it isnt working i would be very greatful :D

moonshinemadness

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by: dwell
PEBKAC

Hehe i see, i dont often go off on random immature rants that are basically caused by me being inexperienced but hey cut me some slack!

Ok then big shot, you come over here and install it for me seen as i obviously dont deserve to be using my computer.

Originally posted by: halik

yeah, suse radhat and mandrake are idiotproof

Ahh radhat yes, you gotta love radhat!

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
My advice to anyone attempting to learn Linux is to do a dualboot it's less frustrating than going whole hog. This way you can lean in small steps. How to dualboot XP/Linux see here