what kind of puppy should i get? **Updated with pics of new puppy

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
My two kids have been begging for a dog for years and i FINALLY convinced my wife to allow it.

We want something that doesn't shed, or at least, doesn't shed MUCH.
It can't be a huge dog, labs and similar sized dogs are out.
But i also don't want anything tiny - it needs to go up and down stairs on its own.

i don't have a clue on what breeds to look at, can anyone offer some advice?

--- Update ---
Bought a 12 week old Boston Terrier yesterday.

We named him Dexter.

http://www.johwey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010-0518-01.jpg

http://www.johwey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010-0518-02.jpg

Last edited:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Get a corgi. They shed, but it's worth it. They're a big dog in a little dog's body, and great with kids older than 3.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
See what's available in local shelters. Save a life, get a shelter dog. :)

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
havanese - nonshedding, nonbarking (only when strangers at door), ~15lbs, smart, cute as hell

This. Here's a pic of mine at about a year. I definitely recommend keeping a puppy cut coat (a little shorter than in that pic) and if you want it to be a little manlier you can get a darker color.

Lovin_that_cigar.JPG

Very smart dogs (used in the circus quite a bit). Mine learned sit, shake, high 5, high 10, dance, roll over, and speak before she was 2 months old (we got her at 6 and a half weeks).

They are hypoallergenic meaning not only do they not shed, they don't flake dander. Ditto on the barking, Zoe only barks when people are at the door or if you get her really riled up when playing.

Found a pic of the shorter cut:

helping_daddy_with_laundry.JPG

Last edited:

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
west highland terrier for no shedding
west_highland_white_terrier431.44755244755x_1191991409515.jpg

bulldog for other choice.
English-Bulldog1.jpg

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
I have a mini-schauzer who is smart as hell and very quiet in terms of barking. She's gets along well with both my sister and I and my cousins are able to pet her and whatnot, if she gets tired of attention she just goes and jumps on a couch somewhere out of the way. I've been watching dogs 101 on Animal Planet which might help you pick the right breed as well.

link

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I believe you should scrap your pre-requisites and get yourself a Golden Retriever. They're big, they shed and they're the best dogs in the world.

golden-retriever-puppies.jpg

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I came in here to say what Daverino did. Really, go see a golden puppy. Bring your CC with you.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
norfolk terrier ... ~12-17lbs doesn't shed, hypoallergenic, and never barks... They do have a bunch of energy though...

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
How big?

Maltese - 7 pounds or so, super friendly, adorable, and tons of fun. He gets up and down the stairs at my parents house easily.

Shih-Tzu or Lhasa Apso - 14-15 pounds, as friendly as you train them to be, also no problems with stairs.

All of them, just keep the hair short.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Among the other good suggestions, you could also consider Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso. Most people picture fussy showdog Shih Tzu with ridiculous long coats, but in reality you can keep them clipped short and they are great dogs...small but somehow very sturdy. Lazy most of the time but can be whipped into a frenzy when you want a little entertainment.

You're best bet is to see what's around the shelters. Consider getting an adult dog....puppies are cute, but it's a ton of shenanigans.