what is....

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I’ll take do some over do nothing

I’m very comfortable letting lawmakers figure something out.
Wow, I'm not sure how to respond to that. How many other Constitutional rights are you ready to apply that kind of thinking to?

What am I saying?!?!?! Letting lawmakers figure something out means this issue will be stuck in partisan debate forever and nothing will get done.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Why can't you buy an AK-47? It's just has be be semi-auto only, right?

But I agree with you that the lists are often made by folks who have no idea what they are looking at. Just like most anti-gun folks never bother to educate themselves on the subject they feel so passionate about. Passion always trumps knowledge.

"Guns are bad, M'kay."

because the idiots in the md general assembly said i cant have an ak47 or a copy of one

althoug if its an ak pistol it is ok iirc

Feb 4, 2009
Wow, I'm not sure how to respond to that. How many other Constitutional rights are you ready to apply that kind of thinking to?

What am I saying?!?!?! Letting lawmakers figure something out means this issue will be stuck in partisan debate forever and nothing will get done.

This is about guns, nothing else. Letting lawmakers do something is a step in the right direction, currently nothing is getting done.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
This is about guns, nothing else. Letting lawmakers do something is a step in the right direction, currently nothing is getting done.

quite often doing nothing would be better than what lawmakers do. not just with guns, but with anything

Feb 4, 2009
quite often doing nothing would be better than what lawmakers do. not just with guns, but with anything

Quite often is the key word, to me things can't get more unbalanced than they are. That's why I'd like gun experts to come up with reasonable solutions to keep guns from the mentally unstable and help craft reasonable gun laws but none of you guys want to help.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Quite often is the key word, to me things can't get more unbalanced than they are. That's why I'd like gun experts to come up with reasonable solutions to keep guns from the mentally unstable and help craft reasonable gun laws but none of you guys want to help.
Bullshit. I don't care about how the situation looks to you. The reality is things are less violent today than they have been in a long, long time. I'm not even sure school shootings are on the rise or just reported more often and kept in the news by media having a field day with the issue.

What I do know is that it's dangerous to scream for something, anything to be done like a panicked sheep. And when that "anything" being done will do nothing to solve the issue I don't have to support it, no mater how you try to shame me into it.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014

things have been suggested, even the nra was ok with more background checks.
but then people decided that wasnt enough.
its never enough

Feb 4, 2009
Bullshit. I don't care about how the situation looks to you. The reality is things are less violent today than they have been in a long, long time. I'm not even sure school shootings are on the rise or just reported more often and kept in the news by media having a field day with the issue.

What I do know is that it's dangerous to scream for something, anything to be done like a panicked sheep. And when that "anything" being done will do nothing to solve the issue I don't have to support it, no mater how you try to shame me into it.

and you think I care about how you feel because?

Trump-2016-Fuck-your-feelings-720x480.jpg

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Feb 4, 2009
things have been suggested, even the nra was ok with more background checks.
but then people decided that wasnt enough.
its never enough

Oh please where have they suggested something that was reasonable and when has the NRA not backed out. They talk a good game but they never end up suggesting anything reasonable for the whole Country.
Look at bump stocks. They were against them following the shooting, then a week later they changed their mind.
I'm not dumping on the NRA for that because they get most of their revenue from companies that sell guns, market guns and supplies for guns. Just being reasonable about who should suggest changes.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

Suggesting that all rights are equal is really, really bad.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Suggesting that all rights are equal is really, really bad.

I don't deal in absolutes, so I would never say something so stupid. Just like I don't agree with sacrificing the Constitutional rights I don't personally exercise in a pointless attempt to make myself feel safer.

Murder is already illegal and that doesn't stop these terrible shootings. How is a few more laws going to stop it? You can't make gun illegal enough to stop it unless you ban them all. And we don't have the means to round them all up, unless you have the magical ability to *snap* your fingers and make them wink out of existence.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I don't deal in absolutes, so I would never say something so stupid. Just like I don't agree with sacrificing the Constitutional rights I don't personally exercise in a pointless attempt to make myself feel safer.
Your pointless attempt is my data-backed goal.

I'm not out to "stop murder", but we can do something about guns that will appreciably benefit everyone.

Take them away from most citizens and cops and end the weird arms race among the weirdly fearful.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Your pointless attempt is my data-backed goal.

I'm not out to "stop murder", but we can do something about guns that will appreciably benefit everyone.

Take them away from most citizens and cops and end the weird arms race among the weirdly fearful.
How will you take them away from most citizens? You keep recommend the next to impossible as if we are all idiots for not jumping on board with the silly idea.

And since you can't keep guns out of the hands of those who really want one, how the heck would can we keep order in a society without the physical means to enforce lawfulness? Disarming everyone is an impossible dream. More gun laws are only going to disarm those willing to obey them, and those folks aren't the problem.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Oh please where have they suggested something that was reasonable and when has the NRA not backed out. They talk a good game but they never end up suggesting anything reasonable for the whole Country.
Look at bump stocks. They were against them following the shooting, then a week later they changed their mind.
I'm not dumping on the NRA for that because they get most of their revenue from companies that sell guns, market guns and supplies for guns. Just being reasonable about who should suggest changes.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...kground-system-fact-checking-the-fact-checker

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
How will you take them away from most citizens? You keep recommend the next to impossible as if we are all idiots for not jumping on board with the silly idea.

Time is our friend in this. We make it hard to get the guns we don't want, and we make a generous buy back program for them and then just wait. Over time they will become less and less common, and more and more expensive. They will never go away altogether but we don't have to get rid of every last of the targeted guns, lowering number of them in the hands of the general populous is the goal.

And since you can't keep guns out of the hands of those who really want one, how the heck would can we keep order in a society without the physical means to enforce lawfulness? Disarming everyone is an impossible dream.

Absolutism is a terrible argument. We don't have to get rid of them all, if we can prevent just one person from using one to commit mass murder it will have worked.

More gun laws are only going to disarm those willing to obey them, and those folks aren't the problem.

This is just plain false. It makes the assumption that laws have no effect at all on those willing to ignore them. That is so stupid an argument that I can only assume that you are being intentionally obtuse, certainly no one could both believe that argument and have enough brain function to operate a keyboard to type it out.

I can buy Marijuana in both Texas and Colorado, but it is a lot harder to get, and more expensive, in Texas. There are definitely a lot of people in Texas that don't use marijuana because of the laws there that would if they lived in Colorado.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Absolutism is a terrible argument. We don't have to get rid of them all, if we can prevent just one person from using one to commit mass murder it will have worked..

so i can argue that allowing concealed carry work, as it has prevented mass murder

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

And since you can't keep guns out of the hands of those who really want one, how the heck would can we keep order in a society without the physical means to enforce lawfulness? Disarming everyone is an impossible dream. More gun laws are only going to disarm those willing to obey them, and those folks aren't the problem.
I won't personally be taking them away. I'll leave that to law enforcement agents. Are you going to shoot your local cops when they come to collect?

The "gun laws only hurt people who obey the law" is fallacious. It's been ripped apart time and again. ALL LAWS only inhibit those who obey them.

The people who really want one will find that supply has dried up and demand has increased to where only the uber-rich will have them. I'm sure they'll use them to hunt the most dangerous game (man), but we can address that problem when we get there. One step at a time.