what is....

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
actually many of the current laws enumerate specific weapons

Some laws do, but laws, in general, do not have to. It is a false statement to say that we must define all these things narrowly to make a law about them.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Some laws do, but laws, in general, do not have to. It is a false statement to say that we must define all these things narrowly to make a law about them.

but without a definition, its open to interpretation by whomever. and that interpretation can change any time.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
from the list in maryland i would infer that the writers are idiots and do not know a thing about firearms
Interesting inference.

I'd lean that the industry pushes for those specifics so that they can then begin to work around them with little issue for their customers.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
but without a definition, its open to interpretation by whomever. and that interpretation can change any time.

That is a feature, not a bug. The law is a living thing and is interpreted by society. Laws react to the situation they are used in. Any law overly specific is apt to be outdated quickly. We outlaw .225 ammo and .2249 ammo comes out that is legal.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That is a feature, not a bug. The law is a living thing and is interpreted by society. Laws react to the situation they are used in. Any law overly specific is apt to be outdated quickly. We outlaw .225 ammo and .2249 ammo comes out that is legal.
You are correct in that common law is a living law who's interpretation changes with societal norms. When our Constitution was written implied terms were good enough, however, today we require express terms in our contracts/laws. This opens up many legal loopholes for interpretation. We need comprehensive express terms when it comes to the governance of firearms.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Define short - how many inches?
Define light - how many pounds/ounces
Define small - less than .50? .30?
Define high - >5? 10? 20?
Define effective - .5 MOA? 1? 2?
Define quick to change - 1 second? 5 seconds

More work to be done. Good luck.
Small and light enough to be easier to carry than the common battle rifles in use.
Higher capacity than the common battle rifles in use.
Effective enough to be lethal on a human sized target out to at common engagement distances.
Faster than, say, loading an 8-round stripper clip into an M1 Garand.

I can't give you exact inches of length at which one weapon is a scary assault rifle and another is not. I'm not afraid of guns based on specifications. They are all capable of being used safely or misused terribly. I wouldn't like being shot with a musket anymore than I would being shot with an Uzi, but regardless of which weapon I was shot with I would put the blame for the crime on the finger that pulled the trigger.

I've got it! We can reduce gun violence by banning trigger fingers! Any reasonable person should be willing to give up their fingers to ensure the safety of our children!

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
No, not "whomever", the fucking judicial system. You know, like the SCOTUS. Good laws are made specifically to be interpreted to meet future needs. It's part of the checks and balances our government is based on.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
You are correct in that common law is a living law who's interpretation changes with societal norms. When our Constitution was written implied terms were good enough, however, today we require express terms in our contracts/laws. This opens up many legal loopholes for interpretation. We need comprehensive express terms when it comes to the governance of firearms.
How about MURDER and ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON are always illegal? That should cover 100% of shootings we are trying to put a stop to.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
No, not "whomever", the fucking judicial system. You know, like the SCOTUS. Good laws are made specifically to be interpreted to meet future needs. It's part of the checks and balances our government is based on.

nope, it would most likely be subject to an atf regulation, you know like bump stocks

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Interesting inference.

I'd lean that the industry pushes for those specifics so that they can then begin to work around them with little issue for their customers.
I didn't think the NRA or the gun industry had much to do with generating the Maryland list being referred to?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Sorry, how do you guys know that industry didn't influence the legislation?

Also, do you think that's standard for legislation that affects an industry, that they don't lobby and have a say in how it gets crafted?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014

Also, do you think that's standard for legislation that affects an industry, that they don't lobby and have a say in how it gets crafted?

you dont know mike miller or brian frosh very well

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Uh huh. I'm guessing you're not going to their BBQs either.

Can you answer my questions?

that was the answer
those two wrote the bill, no way in hell they would let the nra or any gun lobby into thier office

Feb 4, 2009
that was the answer
those two wrote the bill, no way in hell they would let the nra or any gun lobby into thier office

I’ll say it again. Help craft something sensible or someone else will do it without your input.
Personally I’d be very comfortable letting lawmakers decide what can or can’t be sold.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I’ll say it again. Help craft something sensible or someone else will do it without your input.
Personally I’d be very comfortable letting lawmakers decide what can or can’t be sold.

you sure about that
even though i cant buy an ak47
i can by an ar10 no problem

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

If the gun industry was consulted on the banning of their product, it was only so the authors of the bill could laugh and laugh and do exactly the opposite.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
you sure about that
even though i cant buy an ak47
i can by an ar10 no problem
Why can't you buy an AK-47? It's just has be be semi-auto only, right?

But I agree with you that the lists are often made by folks who have no idea what they are looking at. Just like most anti-gun folks never bother to educate themselves on the subject they feel so passionate about. Passion always trumps knowledge.

"Guns are bad, M'kay."