What is your unpopular opinion?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You are not, and never will be, a product of your environment. You are a conscious being who makes choices that have consequences.
Your environment includes being raised during the age of the internet, which has made you better informed, more obstinate, and more contrarian than your forebears, just like me. That's not entirely choice, it's more like an engraving on your personality.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That's complete bullshit.

Explain please... :rolleyes:

Obviously environment isn't the sole determining factor in achieving your goals but to say it doesn't play into the chances of doing so is just silly.

Unless for example your goal is being shot or starving to death in some extreme circumstances.

Last edited:

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
No, I'm providing an example of how environment impacts choice. I'm not saying one can place all the blame for one's shortcomings on environment, but I think it's absurd to deny that environment has an impact.
Still a piss poor example to support a claim that environment begets outcome, IMO.

Your environment includes being raised during the age of the internet, which has made you better informed, more obstinate, and more contrarian than your forebears, just like me. That's not entirely choice, it's more like an engraving on your personality.

I suppose you're right with regards to my opinion on the subject, but being raised in the age of the internet had fuck all to do with my ability to achieve my life goals. Which, admittedly, like most people, I never truly reached because of the choices I made, not because I had a 14.4 modem back with Wolfenstine 3D came out.

That's why I say you are not, and never will be, a product of your environment.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Still a piss poor example to support a claim that environment begets outcome, IMO.

I suppose you're right with regards to my opinion on the subject, but being raised in the age of the internet had fuck all to do with my ability to achieve my life goals. Which, admittedly, like most people, I never truly reached because of the choices I made, not because I had a 14.4 modem back with Wolfenstine 3D came out.

That's why I say you are not, and never will be, a product of your environment.
Fine, how 'bout being raised by racist parents in a heavily racist area in the 1940s? If you turn out racist, is it because you chose to turn out racist?

May 13, 2009
You are not, and never will be, a product of your environment. You are a conscious being who makes choices that have consequences.
Yes people have choices they can make but environment plays a huge role in who you become. I was mentally abused so badly as a child that I could not talk to people. It took me years and years to be able to have a semblance of a conversation. I got to school and guess what? I never fit in. Couldn't even look up at people because my self esteem was non-existent. I was an outcast. My first impressions of people were my parents who abused me and the kids at school who rejected me. I'm still getting over the cluster fuck that was my childhood. Now imagine if I had loving parents from the beginning. And went to school and my first interactions weren't negative but really positive. I'm very likely not the grumpy a-hole I am today. Run the simulation a hundred times with my childhood and I bet at least 9 out of 10 are just like me. Yes some will break the trend but most won't. Just because a minority break the trend doesn't mean that environment doesn't play into the outcome.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
fuck no. the only thing that belongs on fries is malt vinegar and maybe seasoning salt. Ketchup is only used by people that actually hate fries (potato).
How about mayo on fries? I did that in UK and Amsterdam. I didnt dislike it.

Azurik

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Things that would make the world better, but politics and short-term mentality would never make it happen (at least anytime soon):
  • mandatory recycling
  • ban of single-use plastics
  • ban of plastic bags
  • max of two children per family
  • legalized prostitution
  • sunset fossil fuel use
  • an eye-for-eye penalty

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I always said the show was ruined when all of the nerds got girlfriends. Yeah, like that happens to all of the nerds in real life.

GPS can be delivered through a heads-up display and allow the driver to still be looking forward.

Are you insane? Try to find an existence without plastics. I dare you. I double dare you. I triple dog dare you. Plastics is only one part of man-made material products made from petroleum. Maybe we shouldn't just focus on plastics, but all petroleum based materials. There go your tires, son. Happy walking. Oh, there go your sneakers, too. Happy walking barefooted.

Ashphalt is also a petroleum product. So barefoot on dirt road. I guess he can go back to grass sandals.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Really? I'm not going to put words in your mouth, out of respect, but you're wrong. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can do what they set out to do regardless of the hand you are dealt. I grow increasingly tired of people using their environment as an excuse as to why they never amounted to anything.
Tell that to a baby starving in the Sudan, asshole.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The United States is done. The only question is how long before it completely falls apart. Its strength was the two parent family, with one person the money maker and one person at home with the kids. Too little of that going on to save this country.

-KeithP

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No, I'm providing an example of how environment impacts choice. I'm not saying one can place all the blame for one's shortcomings on environment, but I think it's absurd to deny that environment has an impact.

I suppose next, he's gonna claim that children in the poorest schools get a quality education...same as kids in the richest school districts...I mean...how the fuck is that possible...learning stuff out of 10, 15, 20 year old textbooks? It's not like those poor kids can even learn math out of those old books...the numbers change every fucking year!

aab.gif

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I suppose next, he's gonna claim that children in the poorest schools get a quality education...same as kids in the richest school districts...I mean...how the fuck is that possible...learning stuff out of 10, 15, 20 year old textbooks? It's not like those poor kids can even learn math out of those old books...the numbers change every fucking year!

aab.gif
If you've ever looked at the "new math" the education system came up with so some admin fuck could justify his check....the numbers did change.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If you've ever looked at the "new math" the education system came up with so some admin fuck could justify his check....the numbers did change.

I remember "the new math" when I was a youngster...the old math was fucked up enough for me...arithmatic I'm fine with...but add letters and/or squiggly lines? Becomes some ancient, obscure Chinese dialect.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I remember "the new math" when I was a youngster...the old math was fucked up enough for me...arithmatic I'm fine with...but add letters and/or squiggly lines? Becomes some ancient, obscure Chinese dialect.
Had 2 years of that crap in college. Got my kid through geometry but told him he was on his own with calculus. My brain is tired. :p

Pecker still works though. The Missus is waiting for the day....:(

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The United States is done. The only question is how long before it completely falls apart. Its strength was the two parent family, with one person the money maker and one person at home with the kids. Too little of that going on to save this country.

-KeithP
And you are just full of shit. Through out history women were always part of the workforce, what exactly did you think women did on the farms, the shops and such before modern times?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
And you are just full of shit. Through out history women were always part of the workforce, what exactly did you think women did on the farms, the shops and such before modern times?
The family unit is screwed. Saw it 30 years ago with 3 generations on welfare. Now it's worse. Maybe I'm guilty of a "cops" attitude because I see some dregs in the community.

Enough of that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sometimes I think Israel should just Final Solution the Palestinians so the world can just fucking move on from that intractable conflict and focus it's attention on solving humanitarian shit that can actually be solved if we pumped that kind of money towards it.

Only sometimes though, when I'm especially upset with the thickheaded way that whole conflict has been handled.