What is your unpopular opinion?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Everything is hard the first time. It takes a billion dollars to get a new drug through testing and into production and then every pill after that costs 2 cents to manufacture. It took thousands of the greatest minds ever to create the first atomic bomb, now a college physics student can build one in his garage. Teaching a 6-axis robot arm to perform a delicate task might be a bitch, but once it's done every other 6-axis robot arm can perform the same delicate task using the same programming.

I wish more people at work understood this and had some forethought rather than just barreling ahead with the first "solution" that pops into their heads.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I wish more people at work understood this and had some forethought rather than just barreling ahead with the first "solution" that pops into their heads.

minimum viable product and fail fast + pivot is the name of the game nowadays

Jerem

May 25, 2014
Apparently my opinion was so unpopular it got removed from this thread along with the replies

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Unpopular opinion: I think AI will create more jobs than it takes away

This is because solving problems requires specifications, options, hardware, development, and most importantly, specialization. For example:

I've never been convinced that automation, even AI will create a depression or anything. Everything changes, predicting the effects isn't easy or even possible. What science fiction writer could envision where we are now 100 years ago?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That most things in life don't matter.
Yup. There's a record album titled "Nothing matters... and what if it did?"

Nothin' Matters and What If It Did is John Mellencamp's fourth studio album, under his pseudonym of John Cougar

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that AMD's processors are currently overrated. Sure, they're faster on the desktop now, but most people aren't buying desktop systems. They're buying laptops, and Intel is still the king there.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
UO: in a certain sense it's true that it's your fault if you are poor. Not saying that the system isn't rigged, but the two are not incompatible.

the more i think about it the more i find positive aspects of just about every unpopular opinion, even the widely condemned ones ..

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
UO: in a certain sense it's true that it's your fault if you are poor. Not saying that the system isn't rigged, but the two are not incompatible.

the more i think about it the more i find positive aspects of just about every unpopular opinion, even the widely condemned ones ..
Everything that's possible to be believed is an image of the truth. I think that may be an accurate quotation from William Blake, my favorite quotable seer/poet/artist.

Reactions: stargazr

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
  • Star Wars is just silly. It's not an uncommon sentiment for those who didn't grow up with it and watched it 'in a vacuum' as an adult. It's just silly. Is it neither serious nor campy. It's just a very shallow popcorn flick to me.

Long felt this way, but I'd go further. It's a very shallow, heavily plagiarized, shell of a movie. Take the basic plot of 'the hidden fortress', set in space because 2001: A Space Odyssey was a hit, make up an utterly generic thing 'the force' that might at well be 'generic name spiritual thing'.

Which isn't to say it isn't reasonably enjoyable to watch, and they did add some fun bits.

Watch the youtube video sometime on 'how Star Wars was saved in the editing room' for an idea how much it was thrown together and could have been a lot worse easily.

There's an analogy somewhere on how the Monkees sold more albums than The Beatles at the time.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Any movie that imitates Star Wars by having a scene with a wide assortment of aliens in a bar is drek and I refuse to watch. :Colbert:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'd tell yaz, ut most of my "unpopulat opinions" would either get me banned...from here and the interwebz...or arrested and disappeared...