What is your reason for voting Obama this election?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Perknose3. Because Sarah Palin's five children need a full time mother.
rose.gif

Losing the election might also give her more time to pop out a couple more pups and give them funny names.

Feb 16, 2005
Simply said, I feel as though I have more of a connection with Senator Obama, view wise, than I do with Senator McCain. Which I think is the basis for reasoning why you'd vote for anyone.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
1. I like his views and plans for education.

2. I like his progressive tax plans and I think the idea of Reaganomics is terrible.

3. I like how he leans more towards towards defensive with his war proposals than McCain does.

4. I think his healthcare plan is a smart one and will get us off to at least a good start in the right direction with healthcare.

5. I like his energy policies and especially things like clean coal and solar. I can honestly say that I wish I would hear him promoting Nuclear more than he does, but at the same time I do not like how aggressive McCain is about Nuclear.

6. I like how Obama is all about placing lots of emphasis on technology and infrastructure when it comes to alternative sources of fuel and energy.

7. I really like how he is all about bringing manufacturing and business back to America from overseas.

8. I love how both Obama and Biden started from the bottom and worked there way up. That right there is solid representation.

9. Generally speaking, both Obama's and Biden's values as well as how they think and solve problems goes a lot with how I think and solve problems as well as my values.

The rest is mostly about why I do not like McCain/Palin or other candidates like Ron Paul.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434
7. I really like how he is all about bringing manufacturing and business back to America from overseas.

Do you really think he'll do anything to try to bring that about, though, or do you think he's just giving lip service to that? If he's so concerned about Americans losing jobs to foreigners then why doesn't he also oppose H-1B and L-1 visas and mass immigration?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Do you really think he'll do anything to try to bring that about, though, or do you think he's just giving lip service to that? If he's so concerned about Americans losing jobs to foreigners then why doesn't he also oppose H-1B and L-1 visas and mass immigration?

I think he will try his best considering what I have gathered about his priorities. I don't think that it will be at the top of his list due to other more important issues at hand, but I do believe that it is on the list. If he doesn't go after it directly then I won't cry a river although I will be disappointing. As it stands, countries across seas are getting smart and realizing that America is relying on them more in order to maintain their business plans. They are now a necessity and they are asking for a lot more money. The govt can speed up this process but if they do not then it will work itself out.

Besides, you are asking me a crystal ball question which revolves around having confidence and faith in government quite frankly. The man says that this is something that he wants to change just like McCain or any other presidential candidate before him has said that there are things that they wish to change. History has proven that some promises are kept while others are not and that is all there is to it at the end of the day. There is nothing we can do about that.

Besides, the question here was reasons why I am voting for Obama. I gave them.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
My reasons, and let me start off with stating that I am an independent:

1. The first time I heard Obama speak, I realized that he had a level of charisma that was above that of Hillary and the other potential presidential nominees. He sounds intelligent when he speaks; he sounds thoughtful, not quick to jump to conclusions. I want someone like that in the presidential seat. I feel he may be able to bridge the gap that has formed over the last 8 years between America and some of the other nations around the world and gain us back some respect. When I traveled to Europe around 2003, I was ashamed to admit I was American. People who had loved America just a few years prior suddenly were laughing at us for picking an idiot like George Dubya Bush. I hate the fact that the GOP is picking idiots to run for office this past few years to try and appeal to the common man. Intelligence, patience, and charisma to me are the most important attributes in a candidate, whether he be Republican or Democrat.

2. Ideas of being socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. The Bush administration went on a spending spree and put the credit card balance on the nation's back, in other words fiscally liberal, then clamped down on individual citizen rights, so socially conservative. Obama has laid out plans to trim the federal government back in certain areas so that we can reinvest into education and infrastructure.

3. I agree with his tax plan. Peel back the tax cuts Bush handed out to the rich, and give a tax break to the middle class, which gives more room for people to spend thus increasing the economy's health as a whole. I don't make a six figure or 7 figure salary like most of Anandtech. I have to carefully watch my finances and plan everything out just to get ahead. Obama's tax plan would benefit me directly in a tangible way.

4. Backing from strong military minds, such as Colin Powell, and General Petraeus. Bush had this habit of appointing people and then just letting them go wild. Obama promises a more structured approach. In other words Obama sounds more like someone who is fit to lead a business as well as the country. Petraeus stated that he may have not agreed with all of Obama's points, but that Obama sat down with him eye to eye and discussed why he feels the way he does, and what his plans are, and they worked it out. That indicates a strong military and tactical mind.

5. I agree with his enforcing of our internal infrastructure and scientific development. This is something that would benefit the country as a whole, and bring us back into the forefront of scientific development. Those in the science fields that I know of also support Obama for this reason. If we keep up our current direction we are going to start falling behind other countries in terms of science. There are a lot of extremely interesting technologies coming out, and now is the time to invest into our nation's future in my opinion. Example: carbon nanotubes, buckeyballs, etc. - we have nearly unlimited resources to make it, and they are finding more and more uses for it every year. We could be in the forefront of it's development, or we can sit back and watch while other countries move ahead of us.

6. Business - he wants to bring back policies which benefit the workers in some of the core industries of the US. They in turn support the local micro economies of the cities they are in, which brings in revenue to the state, etc..

7. Healthcare plan - simply better than McCain's. I'm not advocating universal healthcare, but let's face it, our healthcare system needs an overhaul big time.

8. McCain himself - notice how he's number 8, but the 7 things listed above are more important to me, but having looked at McCain's policies, and his choice of a running mate, I simply cannot approve of McCain at this point. He's pandering too much to the religious groups and fringe voters, and is starting to drown in a pool of his own bullshit. The McCain back in 2000 seemed like a decent pick; had he won the primaries back then I would have voted for him instead of Bush. Now that he has flip flopped so many times I lost count, I cannot trust what comes out of his mouth, especially given he hired the same people that slandered him and his family back in the year 2000. There's enough negatives on McCain right now to write another 100 pages.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Perknose3. Because Sarah Palin's five children need a full time mother.
rose.gif

Losing the election might also give her more time to pop out a couple more pups and give them funny names.
She regrets not getting a chance to name a son Zamboni, I kid you not.

I am voting Obama because Mac is too old, and his V.P. pick is too ignorant, for the tasks that lie ahead.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I've voting Obama because the republican party has abandoned conservatism and they need to be taught a painful lesson.

The warmongers must go. The huge government neocons must go. We need a fresh start with a traditional conservative...someone who does not favor pre-emptive war and endless military force in an effort to reshape the world. In short, we need someone believes in the Constitution. The other republicans need to go, and it needs to start with Mccain.

midway

Oct 22, 2004
I believe that the Republicans need to be crushed so that true Republicans can take the party back by purging the fundamentalist Christians and neocons. A conservative party who stayed out of people's private lives and was for small government, low taxes, and not building an empire would be a party I'd vote for.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: midway
I believe that the Republicans need to be crushed so that true Republicans can take the party back by purging the fundamentalist Christians and neocons. A conservative party who stayed out of people's private lives and was for small government, low taxes, and not building an empire would be a party I'd vote for.

^^ Co-signed, I want the old republican party back!

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Juddog

:thumbsup:

Count me in!

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I agree with him on the issues more than any one else that is running. Plus, he's educated and charismatic which isn't two traits you see in a person at the same time.

I could be more specific, but that's the short version.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Several people I know are voting for Obama for the handouts and free money.

Makes sense I guess.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DixyCrat
I voted based on who i thought would cause there to be fewer abortions.

Seriously? That's the single most important issue this country is facing? If so, /facepalm

As far as my reasons for voting Obama...

1. I'm tired of the (R) party pandering to evangelicals. I am agnostic and lower middle class. While I voted (D) the last 3 elections up until this year I was registered (R). They pretty much pushed out anyone who isn't evangelical and/or rich. I'm sure they don't miss me though.

2. I prefer Obama's tax proposal. While it may not end up exactly the way it's being presented I have a feeling his plan would benefit the country - and me - better than McCain's.

3. Foreign policy/relations. GWB&Co have ruined the reputation of this country and IMO replacing them with McCain would be bad or possibly worse.

4. Supreme court appointees. McCain has promised more conservatives and I think this country is swinging too far right in that regard.

5. Charisma. Yes, this is important. We've had a bumbling idiot leading this nation for the past 8 years. It would be a refreshing change to have someone with speaking ability give a speech or address a foreign leader. Obama is a great orator. McCain is not.

I could list more but I've gotta get back to work... ;)

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

YES! I consider myself a true conservative. And I think we need to force the GOP to re-create itself again and hopefully become the true conservative ideal. What they are right now is a big fat joke and I am afraid that they are suckering in America to keep them in power.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Juddog

:thumbsup:

Count me in!

As funny as this may sound to some of you given what I currently express support for, I agree with this a lot. I am leaning Dem quite heavily right now, but I have not forgotten and never will forget the importance of a balanced system. The lack of conservatism in the Repub party is killing us. The balance has been distorted too much and we need to get it back on track. I would like to see the Repub party fixed in order to make this happen rather than a 3rd party taking over. I know it will take a while, but it needs to happen.

I also hope that when it does happen it mostly occurs on the fiscally conservative side rather than the social conservative side. I know they will not be going away any time soon if ever but I am tired of evangelical nut jobs.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
I believe that the Republicans need to be crushed so that true Republicans can take the party back by purging the fundamentalist Christians and neocons.
Agree, wholeheartedly.

A conservative party who stayed out of people's private lives and was for small government, low taxes, and not building an empire would be a party I'd vote for.
I know this was/is the dogma but when did it actually happen?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
Several people I know are voting for Obama for the handouts and free money.

Makes sense I guess.

I know several rich guys that voted bush for handouts which was free money.