What is your biggest grammar pet peeve?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VTboy

Banned
Oct 13, 2003
Some of you people don't know what you are talking about.

1. Height is pronounced hItth. You can say the th sound. Look in a dictionary.
2. For length and width you have to say the th sound. Saying the t sound is wrong.

Lounatik you shouldn't get made when someone pronouces it hItth because that is correct.

Wintermute76

Jan 8, 2003
silicon / silicone

one is for CPU's the other is for breast implants. So sick of reading about silicon implants.....makes me wanna ask what clock speed they are instead of what cup size :p

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Samari / Samauri / Samarui / Samuri / however the hell else people spell it...

The commonly used romanization of that word is samurai. :p

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: VTboy

2. For length and width you have to say the th sound. Saying the t sound is wrong.

Lounatik you shouldn't get made when someone pronouces it hItth because that is correct.

I just looked in the dictionary, and it says height is h - (long) i - t, pronounced like hite.

The t comes after the h, there should be no 'th' sound. Length and width the t is before the h, making the 'th' sound. Wid-th, le-ng-th, hei-gh-t is how those words should be properly broken down.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
your vs you're

its such a simple grammar mistake. too many people make it. even professionally sometimes (magazines, books, etc.)

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
I can't stand people constantly adding "you know" inside their sentences. No, you dumb fvck, I don't know, that is why you are explaining it to me.

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
PWNED, OWNED. TEH.

WTF is PWNED its just retarded.

The one thing in proper english is that the word Data is actually Plural. So in a book: How were Data Collected? <- that is correct usage. Always messes with me when I see it.

VTboy

Banned
Oct 13, 2003
Originally posted by: kenshorin
Originally posted by: VTboy

I just looked in the dictionary, and it says height is h - (long) i - t, pronounced like hite.

The t comes after the h, there should be no 'th' sound. Length and width the t is before the h, making the 'th' sound. Wid-th, le-ng-th, hei-gh-t is how those words should be properly broken down.

Look in websters dictionary. www.webster.com It says th is also correct.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"What is your biggest grammar pet peeve?"

That's easy... "Axed" instead of "Asked" and "Pacific" instead of "Specific"

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
People who can't figure out that "your" is not the same thing as "you're". There are plenty of abused contractions but that one seems most common.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
your stupid
rolleye.gif

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Joker81
PWNED, OWNED. TEH.

WTF is PWNED its just retarded.

Well, if you'll look at your keyboard, you'll notice that the letter 'p' is adjacent to the letter 'o.' My guess is that somebody tried to type "OWNED" and accidentally typed "PWNED." Somebody thought it was funny and decided to intentionally propagate the error. It's related to l33t and other c0oL h4><0r i|\|t4rw3b things. Personally, I think it's hilarious. :)

By the way... "Ohhh, if you want it be possesive, it's just 'ITS.' But if it's supposed to be a contraction, then it's 'I-T-apostrophe-S.' Scalawag."

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
The people that are picking on other people about their grammar.

It's "The people who are picking on other people about their grammar."

You don't refer to human beings as "that."

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
I hate it when I hear people use the expression "tongue in cheek." I mean seriously, wtf is that???

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Wintermute76
silicon / silicone

one is for CPU's the other is for breast implants. So sick of reading about silicon implants.....makes me wanna ask what clock speed they are instead of what cup size :p
That one is terrible, but lately Arctic \ Artic is spreading like wildfire around here.

AutumnRayne

Sep 3, 2003
skreet/street
skraight/straight
pa-sghetti/spaghetti

It is really irritating to hear adults talking like babies.
pwease/please :disgust:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
little kids saying 75 cent instead of cents. It's plural darn it!

"Can I help you"

"I'm doing GOOD"

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
as mentioned by EXman... people who don't know how to pluralize a word...

"Both of my parent are friendly."

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
"I'm going to refer back to my notes."

The "re" part MEANS back so adding it is redundant. Same with return back.

Also I hear characters on TV and in the movies and even newscasters say Calvary when they mean cavalry. One is a mountain and the other is mounted soldiers.

HwK2

Jul 17, 2001
supposbly

you can call john or myself....what is myself's extension ?

i cant stand that