What is wrong with the Supreme Court, another week of justice denied.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You said all that, and I agree with you.

Actually, my point centered around things we can control. I don't recall saying that we should keep our kids out of school, or change policy for idiot kids.

If I were homosexual, married, with a son for instance, no.. I would not take him from school. However, I know kids these days -- and I know they would tease him becasue of my parnter and I. We would not come up there together.. to spare his emotional well-being. I would most definintely take the matter to the principle as well.

We can't control our physical abilites, gender, race etc. But that's not what I was referring to.

I used my own situation. Yeah, its my right to hug and kiss my wife around my freinds, but if it comes to my attention that they (and I have single freinds) are uncomfortable with seeing that, we stop and wait till we leave their presence. We do that now.

That's all I was saying. But the days of mutual respect are long gone on both sides. I was alwys unfortable with homosexuality, but I never teased or even bothered gays kids in school (and there were some in my day). I let them be. I have respect for whatever they want to do, but I simply have my personal view of it. They are indeed regular people like myself.

However, people who simply don't subscribe to it are deemed "defective", "religious", "hate-filled bigots"! Huh? We haven't gained any ground socially in this world with this issue, and probably never will.
Well said, and I largely agree. However, the real issue for me isn't tolerance for those who disagree with homosexuality, but whether the state should discriminate on their behalf. I can certainly respect your dissent as long as you don't try to enshrine it into law.

Of course, if I or a loved one were gay I might take it a bit more personally. :D

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Well said, and I largely agree. However, the real issue for me isn't tolerance for those who disagree with homosexuality, but whether the state should discriminate on their behalf. I can certainly respect your dissent as long as you don't try to enshrine it into law.

Of course, if I or a loved one were gay I might take it a bit more personally. :D

No, I am not into putting anything I believe into Law. And I hate discrimination, being a victim of it at times myself.

Knowing myself and how I don't agree with homosexuality, I'd rather keep that out of law... and that means I would stay out of lawmaking.

Feb 6, 2007
No, I am not into putting anything I believe into Law. And I hate discrimination, being a victim of it at times myself.

Knowing myself and how I don't agree with homosexuality, I'd rather keep that out of law... and that means I would stay out of lawmaking.
So would you vote in favor of legalizing gay marriage, would you vote against legalizing gay marriage or would you simply not vote on the issue of gay marriage so as not to let your personal view of homosexuality be codified in law?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
So would you vote in favor of legalizing gay marriage, would you vote against legalizing gay marriage or would you simply not vote on the issue of gay marriage so as not to let your personal view of homosexuality be codified in law?

I wouldn't vote. My personal views should never make it into law.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I wouldn't vote. My personal views should never make it into law.
To the extent that our laws indicate our intent, aren't our laws merely our aggregate personal views? (At least where they aren't overruled by judicial fiat.) In that sense, your personal views are as valid as anyone's.

However, if one sees injustice and does not act to end it given the opportunity, one is indirectly supporting that injustice. I don't want that to come off as criticism because I do respect your right to dissent, I'm just saying in general, refusing to vote to continue discrimination isn't the same as voting to end it. But in the end each of us must vote our conscience, and I applaud both your commitment to your moral beliefs and your unwillingness to force them on others.

Does bring up an issue though. Suppose one believes that society is best served by a fairly homogeneous Christian society with little accommodation of homosexuality, promiscuity, divorce, etc. (That doesn't seem like a bizarre belief to me.) At what point (if any) does the freedom of the minority become more important than the desires of the majority? In other words, at what point must society's right to order itself as the majority wills give way to the individual's rights to live a different way without being punished? 'Cause it seems to me that is really what we're discussing here.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
To the extent that our laws indicate our intent, aren't our laws merely our aggregate personal views? (At least where they aren't overruled by judicial fiat.) In that sense, your personal views are as valid as anyone's.

You are correct. By my views would also have to benefit everyone, I would think. They don't... and the last thing I want people calling me is a bigot becasue I am not bigoted toward SS couples. It's just my personal view.

However, if one sees injustice and does not act to end it given the opportunity, one is indirectly supporting that injustice. I don't want that to come off as criticism because I do respect your right to dissent, I'm just saying in general, refusing to vote to continue discrimination isn't the same as voting to end it. But in the end each of us must vote our conscience, and I applaud both your commitment to your moral beliefs and your unwillingness to force them on others.

Thanks. I would love to act to end it, but not at the expense of what I think to be right. To me, compromising my beliefs isn't something I am willing to do, personally. I think lot of political issue center around doing what you THINK is best for the people even if you KNOW you shouldn't, at times. If you're unwilling, the best thing is to stay out of lawmaking. I am not willing.

Again, it's not that I don't want to end the discrimination, but it puts a guy like me at a crossroad -- violate your conscience at the expense of liberating a few people, or hold your conscience at the expense of them not being liberated. Heavy choice for someone like myself. EDIT: Now, not to be confused with standing idly by, if gays were being mudered for being gay, then that's a whole different ball game. I would step in to end it because peple are violating the human right to life. It's not in violation of what I deem to be right to step in a save a person from being killed.

What I can see happening an open assualt on the Constiution and federal law. If gays are allowed to marry, then what's to stop ploygmaists from stepping forward and asking their rights be recongized, or people who want to enter marriage contracts with kids. That seems out of line, and rightfully so. But I say that to say this: People don't really care about the sacntity of things anymore -- "times have changed, people have changed", they say. "I want this... we want this, you"re violating this..." We don't look down the line often and all we really want is what's good at the time.

It's not like I hold a view that gays are broke or need to be locked up somewhere and I am unwilling to budge. It's a clear moral issue that holds me intact.

Suppose one believes that society is best served by a fairly homogeneous Christian society with little accommodation of homosexuality, promiscuity, divorce, etc. (That doesn't seem like a bizarre belief to me.) At what point (if any) does the freedom of the minority become more important than the desires of the majority? In other words, at what point must society's right to order itself as the majority wills give way to the individual's rights to live a different way without being punished? 'Cause it seems to me that is really what we're discussing here.

That's a tuffy. I would ask if they could meet somewhere in between? Can each side give a little and be ok with a little discomfort?

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You are correct. By my views would also have to benefit everyone, I would think. They don't... and the last thing I want people calling me is a bigot becasue I am not bigoted toward SS couples. It's just my personal view.

Thanks. I would love to act to end it, but not at the expense of what I think to be right. To me, compromising my beliefs isn't something I am willing to do, personally. I think lot of political issue center around doing what you THINK is best for the people even if you KNOW you shouldn't, at times. If you're unwilling, the best thing is to stay out of lawmaking. I am not willing.

Again, it's not that I don't want to end the discrimination, but it puts a guy like me at a crossroad -- violate your conscience at the expense of liberating a few people, or hold your conscience at the expense of them not being liberated. Heavy choice for someone like myself. EDIT: Now, not to be confused with standing idly by, if gays were being mudered for being gay, then that's a whole different ball game. I would step in to end it because peple are violating the human right to life. It's not in violation of what I deem to be right to step in a save a person from being killed.

What I can see happening an open assualt on the Constiution and federal law. If gays are allowed to marry, then what's to stop ploygmaists from stepping forward and asking their rights be recongized, or people who want to enter marriage contracts with kids. That seems out of line, and rightfully so. But I say that to say this: People don't really care about the sacntity of things anymore -- "times have changed, people have changed", they say. "I want this... we want this, you"re violating this..." We don't look down the line often and all we really want is what's good at the time.

It's not like I hold a view that gays are broke or need to be locked up somewhere and I am unwilling to budge. It's a clear moral issue that holds me intact.

That's a tuffy. I would ask if they could meet somewhere in between? Can each side give a little and be ok with a little discomfort?
Good post, thanks. I have much the same quandary on a variety of subjects, in that I love traditional America but don't want others' liberty restricted to preserve it for me. But I think in the end, sanctity is an extremely personal thing; forced sanctity isn't really sanctity, and refusing to recognize gay marriage in no way changes the gay person's relationship with G-d or lack thereof. If anything, our Christian opposition to gay marriage drives gays away from G-d. No one wants to belong to a group that believes one's entire orientation is a sin. Imagine if we took the same tact with people who eat pork or catfish!

Regarding the slippery slope argument, I think pederasts are clearly different animals because children are inherently unable to give informed consent and extending marriage beyond consenting adults is no longer a consensual contract, leaving virtually nothing in common with traditional marriage. Polygamists are sort of in-between and I have no problems in principle with them, but I think they can reasonably be separated from gay marriage on two points. First, a polygamous marriage is inherently more difficult for society (or at least, for government) in legal matters such as child custody and inheritance. If a woman wants to divorce her husband and her wife, do the children go with their natural mothers, or stay with the two parents who wish to keep the family unit in tact? Second, there is a history of coercion associated with polygamy which is simply not associated with gay marriage, with cults or splinter religions of Mormon/Christian, Islamic and even Jewish heritage essentially growing their own child brides. Neither of these are necessarily grounds for banning polygamous marriage, but are I think sufficient to separate them from gay marriage. Both of these are perhaps more likely if gay marriage is accepted, but neither automatically follows. Indeed, one could make the argument that societies which sanctify gay marriage are less likely to accept child marriages, being more classically liberal and classical liberalism being strongly associated with establishing new child protections.

Also, I dislike the slippery slope argument because virtually every change is a slippery slope, making another change more likely. One could make a cogent argument that allowing interfaith marriages directly led to allowing interracial marriages which directly leads to accepting gay marriage. One could also make a cogent argument that this procession is due to the lack of societal damage at each step - that the progression is due not to erosion of traditional values so much as valuing individual liberty and recognizing that change is not necessarily bad. There's nothing wrong with that progression - indeed, it's necessary to cope with a changing world - as long as each new step is evaluated on its own merits. It may well be that, with some necessary protections established, polygamous marriage is the next to be accepted. But that isn't in my opinion a good reason to discriminate against gays any more than stopping the Lord's Resistance Army from gaining a foothold here would be a good reason for banning Christian evangelical churches. Let each decision be made on its own merits, and let us accord as much personal liberty, and as much equality, as we can accommodate.

EDIT: Your answer to my question is sound; compromise is generally a good thing. Personally I'd answer a bit differently and say the minority should be accommodated as long as doing so does not directly and materially harm other individuals. It's just difficult to make someone mostly equal. ;)

Last edited: