What is wrong with the Supreme Court, another week of justice denied.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Today marks another day the Supreme Court has failed to deny certification for Hollingsworth vs Perry (Prop 8 case). Each week they fail to deny certification is another week gays and lesbians and California are being denied a basic right. I shake my head at why the Supreme Court doesn't understand that justice delayed is justice denied.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Would you be ok if they decide that same sex marriage isn't a constitutional right?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Would you be ok if they decide that same sex marriage isn't a constitutional right?

Obviously that is wrong. We know the correct thing to do in this case deny certification and thus prop 8 is struck down only in California.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Obviously that is wrong. We know the correct thing to do in this case deny certification and thus prop 8 is struck down only in California.
Allowing same sex marriage may be the right thing to do but I'm not sure that means that it is in the constitution. Although if abortion is in the constitution then gay marriage is.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And I shake my head at why liberals do not understand you cannot have a right to something that doesn't exist.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Allowing same sex marriage may be the right thing to do but I'm not sure that means that it is in the constitution. Although if abortion is in the constitution then gay marriage is.

Abortion is about a private medical procedure.

Marriage is about having society(the public) recognize your relationship.

Abortion and marriage have nothing to do with each other.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

The government provides rights and benefits to married couples. These include things like inheritance, end of life decisions, medical visitation and decision, tax benefits, etc. It doesn't matter if society recognizes it or not, so long as the government provides benefits for it, disallowing it violates the 14th Amendment.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The government provides rights and benefits to married couples. These include things like inheritance, end of life decisions, medical visitation and decision, tax benefits, etc. It doesn't matter if society recognizes it or not, so long as the government provides benefits for it, disallowing it violates the 14th Amendment.

Marriage is inherently about recognizing some relationships as being unequal with others.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I think Prop 8 is Constitutional because this country was founded on the rights of free and independent States... the current supreme legislation is illegitimate and the 14th Amendment is something that's illegal under something illegitimate.

If they strike it down then it won't be through invocation of the 10th.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009

All I'm saying is that if the Supremes can shoehorn abortion into the constitution then they can shoehorn gay marriage. Personally I think the abortion case was a much larger stretch than same sex marriage.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Please stop labeling everything you want a "right." They are not rights. They are social contracts. That said, if "traditional" marriage is legally recognized as a social contract then there is no legitimate reason for not recognizing same-sex marriage under the same contract. However, since it is a social contract rather than a right, it is the option of the people to choose the terms of the contract. As we all know, these terms need not be legitimate and it should be left to the people to decide. Thus, even if I disagree with the people, it is their RIGHT to vote as they see fit.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Please stop labeling everything you want a "right." They are not rights. They are social contracts. That said, if "traditional" marriage is legally recognized as a social contract then there is no legitimate reason for not recognizing same-sex marriage under the same contract. However, since it is a social contract rather than a right, it is the option of the people to choose the terms of the contract. As we all know, these terms need not be legitimate and it should be left to the people to decide. Thus, even if I disagree with the people, it is their RIGHT to vote as they see fit.
I somewhat agree. However, I think a strong legal case can be made that prohibitions against gay marriage violate the Constitution based on the equal protection clause, which IS a right, simply because marriage offers certain government benefits and guarantees which are not available to homosexuals, or at least, not without making a travesty of marriage. (Homosexuals can marry heterosexually but that would hardly fit the spirit of marriage.) On a deeper level I think a ban on homosexual marriage violates the concept of a free society. Government should have to demonstrate a clear and compelling societal need before it is allowed to restrict personal liberty, and at the least, denying homosexual marriage arguably restricts personal liberty at a practical level by arbitrarily denying homosexuals the rights, benefits and protections enjoyed by heterosexuals and therefore making the pursuit of happiness more difficult.

Also, this is a right which the majority can deny at no cost to ourselves and those always require strict scrutiny as it's simply too easy to give ourselves advantages at others' expense.

EDIT: I also think the states should be allowed to differ economically, but that our basic rights should be the same through the nation.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009

Would you apply the same rational if the terms of the social contract were based on race?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I somewhat agree. However, I think a strong legal case can be made that prohibitions against gay marriage violate the Constitution based on the equal protection clause, which IS a right, simply because marriage offers certain government benefits and guarantees which are not available to homosexuals, or at least, not without making a travesty of marriage. (Homosexuals can marry heterosexually but that would hardly fit the spirit of marriage.) On a deeper level I think a ban on homosexual marriage violates the concept of a free society. Government should have to demonstrate a clear and compelling societal need before it is allowed to restrict personal liberty, and at the least, denying homosexual marriage arguably restricts personal liberty at a practical level by arbitrarily denying homosexuals the rights, benefits and protections enjoyed by heterosexuals and therefore making the pursuit of happiness more difficult.

And what is the spirit of marriage?

Because I would say that allowing people of the same gender marry violates the spirit of marriage.

Would you apply the same rational if the terms of the social contract were based on race?

Would you say that race has been a fundamental distinguishing characteristic of marriage for the last 200 years?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Pretty sure marriage isn't in the constitution at all so the bigger question is, is it legal for the .gov to get involved in who can enter into a civil contract (other than minors, mentally ill, etc..) AT ALL. Basically, what gives the .gov the right to regulate marriage at all?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Would you say that race has been a fundamental distinguishing characteristic of marriage for the last 200 years?

200 years from now or 200 years from when them black folk were "given" the right to marry white folks (or any race)?

And whose definition of marriage? Yours? The Muslim version? I bet the hindus have their own deal too.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And I shake my head at why liberals do not understand you cannot have a right to something that doesn't exist.

Why shouldn't gay people be allowed to marry? Why would you even worry about because it would not affect you in any way?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
200 years from now or 200 years from when them black folk were "given" the right to marry white folks (or any race)?

And whose definition of marriage? Yours? The Muslim version? I bet the hindus have their own deal too.

Do Muslims allow same-sex marriage? :D

Do Hindus?

How does listing more groups that agree that marriage is between people of the opposite sex dispute my argument?

What does tradition have to do with legality?

If marriage is fundamentally a relationship than how can there be a right to same-sex marriage?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Marriage is inherently about recognizing some relationships as being unequal with others.

No it is not. Marriage, in this day and age, is inherently about a civil (some people call it social, meh) contract between two consenting adults.

Unless of course you are talking about sex then yeah, pretty sure the un-married folks are getting way more so you could call that unequal.